The President of Mocimboa da Praia Municipality Cheia Carlos Momba and Faisal Idrice Ndemanga the Focal point of Palma district in charge of Education services appreciated the donation, noting that the materials will improve the quality of education that the children receive.
Lt Col Guillaume Rutayisire, the Rwanda Security Force (RSF) Civil Military Cooperation Officer (S9) highlighted that, “…although security has so far been restored, it is important to improve the livelihoods to local population. Thus, social assistance is always needed”
The Schools in Mocimboa da Praia district have been closed since 2020 when terrorists launched successive attacks across the province and were reopened recently in January 2023 following a significant improvement in the security situation.
Commissioner of Police (CP) Denis Basabose, the Commissioner for Infrastructure Security and Private Security Providers (ISPSP) at Rwanda National Police (RNP), made the call on Monday, February 13, while presiding over the pass-out of 87 new security personnel of GardaWorld security firm, in Gatenga Sector, Kicukiro District.
CP Basabose asked the graduands to put security before personal interests.
“The task of ensuring security requires sacrifice, professionalism and to love what you do. If financial gains supersedes your work, it can influence you to steal what you are required to protect,” CP Basabose observed.
He urged them to always remain vigilant, ensure proper supervision of the facilities under their protection and to share information in real time.
He further urged them to exhibit discipline, politeness and professional character.
William Gichohi, the country director for GardaWorld, said that the three-month course prepared the new security personnel to offer best private security services.
He also urged the trainees to always be defined by the firm values and to work in unison with their colleagues and the public in security matters.
There are 16 registered private security companies in Rwanda with a strengthen of over 24800 personnel.
The pass-out of four-month advanced driving course for 115 Police officers and 87 military personnel, was presided over by the Deputy Inspector General of Police (DIGP) in charge of Administration and Personnel Jeanne Chantal Ujeneza.
The Deputy Police Chief emphasized the need to value lives of all people on road, which goes with maximum respect for traffic rules and regulations to prevent accidents.
“Road fatalities are still high and they are largely caused by reckless drivers. Those who die are Rwandans, the labour force and the future of this country.
Roads are used by many people, always be vigilant and use the acquired driving knowledge and skills to make them safer for all,” DIGP Ujeneza said.
At least 729 road fatalities were recorded last year across the country.
DIGP Ujeneza reiterated the impact of discipline in professional driving and the image of institutions.
The Commandant of the PTS, Commissioner of Police (CP) Robert Niyonshuti, said that during the four months, the course covered drills and duties, traffic rules and regulations, and exercise in driving.
It also equipped the trainees with maintenance and driving of light vehicles, camion, APCs and gunnery.
Sources from Burundi confirm that products from Rwanda produced by Inyange Industries, drinks from SKOL are among others present on Burundi’s market nowadays.
Meanwhile, some goods from Burundi can also be seen in Rwanda’s markets. These include palm oil and sailver fishes from Lake Tanganyika even though their quantity is still insufficient compared to the past.
On 4th February 2023, President Paul Kagame went to Bujumbura in Burundi where he attended the extra-ordinary summit of regional heads of state on insecurity in eastern part of the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) and met with his counterpart of Burundi, Evariste Ndayishimiye.
The visit was also considered as one of great milestones along the process to restore bilateral relations as Kagame had been last in Burundi in 2013.
It is a fruit of ongoing process to mend ties between the two neighboring countries that had deteriorated since 2015 emanating from chaos that followed the re-election of former President Pierre Nkurunziza for a third term.
Burundi Eco news medium recently announced that drinks produced in Rwanda from Skol and Inyange Industries as well as cheese from the country are present in different markets in Bujumbura.
Before both countries’ relations worsened, Skol was among popular drinks in Bujumbura that some bars carried the name of the company’s drinks. Advertising billboards were also erected in different parts of the city.
As relations soured, some products from Rwanda were no longer shipped to the country which affected businesses in different aspects.
Volcano Express, a transport company from Rwanda has also resumed travels to Burundi. It recently announced that travelling to Bujumbura onboard the company’s buses costs Rwf15, 000.
In October 2015, Volcano Express’s office was destroyed in Bujumbura and searched by Burundi’s intelligence officials as the country accused Rwanda of supporting coup plot suspects who attempted to overthrow former President Pierre Nkurunziza.
Before both countries experienced strained relations in 2014, trade volumes totaled to US$20 million per annum.
Figures from the National Institute of Statistics of Rwanda (NISR) released in December 2022 indicate that Burundi was Rwanda’s sixth re-export partner.
In December 2022, Rwanda exported goods worth US$290,000 (over Rwf290 million) to Burundi up from US$180,000 of the previous month.
This Sunday, IGIHE conducted a spot check to different markets across Kigali to assess the situation and stablished scarcity of products from Burundi.
“Silver fishes’ prices change overtime. They currently cost Rwf12,000 per kilogramme but it recently stood at Rwf9500. It depends on available quantity. The price reduces when they increase on the market and goes higher in case the quantity decreases. Besides, prices also go up when taxes increase at borders,” said one of vendors selling silver fishes from Lake Tanganyika in Nyabugogo.
Vendors of the silver fishes locally known as ‘Indundi’ affirm that they used to order them through Tanzania, thus affecting the pricing.
Despite their high cost, vendors say that the sardine fishes from Lake Tanganyika are the most delicious. The price of other types of silver fishes in the market stands at Rwf2500.
Felicité Tumwitizina, another vendor of silver fishes in a market known as ‘Kwa Mutangana’ also said that prices would drop if they get enough Indundi supplies.
A client comes to us and leaves instantly after learning about the higher price.
Other products from Burundi found in the market include apple fruits and mangoes among others.
Traders in Kigali say that fruits from Burundi have not yet started pouring in large quantities as usual.
“We do not have fruits from Burundi on the market. The majority of mangoes here are from Tanzania, Uganda and Bugarama,” said another trader.
On Saturday 11th February 2023, the Governor of Kayanza Province in Burundi, Col Remy Cishahayo visited his counterpart of Southern Province, Alice Kayitesi. Both leaders assured that the two countries are working hard to resume businesses as usual.
He conveyed the message on Sunday 12th February 2023 as he interacted with Rwandan diaspora in Europe during an event to celebrate National Heroes Day.
The virtual talks brought together Rwandans from across Europe and diplomats representing Rwanda to European countries.
The Minister of Youth and Culture, Rosemary Mbabazi; Rwanda’s Ambassador to the Netherlands, Olivier Nduhungirehe and Rwanda’s Ambassador to Germany, Igor Cesar; were among other guests who delivered talks.
Lt Gen Kabandana said that the 1994 Genocide against the Tutsi was possible because of bad leadership that promoted ethnic divisionism, spread hatred and excluded a segment of Rwandans.
“All those aspects came into play along with refuge and other problems that led Rwanda to the 1994 Genocide against the Tutsi. After the Genocide, the country was reduced to ashes. So, we needed far-sighted heroes, committed to reshape Rwanda beyond and spearhead the resilience journey of the nation and its people,” he said.
Lt Gen Kabandana has however disclosed that there are individuals who harbored intentions to hold back the country after RPA soldiers stopped the Genocide.
“A large number of security threat architects wanted to threaten the country and had strength. The majority of them was in Congo. We went through such situation for long,” he noted.
“From 1995 to 2001, there were several wars. The infiltration attacks were tough, the struggle to bring back over 3 million Rwandans taken hostage in Congo […] All these activities required heroism and dedication,” added Lt Gen Kabandana.
At the time, Lt Gen Kabandana highlighted, the majority of the country’s enemies wanted to commit genocide again over various reasons.
“It was necessary to thwart them lest they hold back the country’s progress. The third enemy and still exists today is genocide ideology. The enemy always reproduces, and brings into existence those who are still stuck in the dark history,” he said.
“Building the nation and consolidating gains requires bravery and everyone’s contribution. Today’s war does not require fighters with bows and guns […]”
{{Warning to security threat architects}}
Lt Gen Kabandana urged Rwandans to strengthen their unity because its absence affects the entire country as it happened in the past leading to refuge, ethnic divisionism and the 1994 Genocide against the Tutsi.
He explained that Rwanda’s developments after Genocide against the Tutsi are fruits of heroes’ dedication.
“The country cannot exist without heroism because there are many reasons why other countries or enemies want another to be destroyed. There are individuals who still think that our country can experience aforementioned problems again,” noted Lt Gen Kabandana.
“So, it requires resolute bravery and dedication for the country to restore its reputation and trust among its people which send a lesson to dissidents that it is impossible to destabilize the country,” he added.
Lt Gen Kabandana further revealed that there are individuals harboring intentions to attack the country but have failed because the country is safeguarded.
“There have been attempts. There are still people wishing to do it but did not stop willfully. They are unable to make it happen. There are soldiers, other security organs and citizens who must embrace heroism to protect territorial integrity […] It is the foundation for everything we do because the country would be in danger without safeguarding its integrity,” he said.
“I want to assure you that Rwandan soldiers are capable, they are dedicated enough, we have heroes of all categories among them. These values do not only characterize them here but also in other places where they are needed for intervention,” disclosed Lt Gen Kabandana.
He pointed out countries including Mozambique, South Sudan and others where Rwandan troops continue to exhibit excellence in their mission to restore peace going hand in hand with values of promoting unity and heroism.
Lt Gen Kabandana joined Rwandan army in 1990 and was among soldiers who fought the Liberation Struggle.
He once served as Defence Attaché to the Embassy of Rwanda and held different positions as a Brigade staff officer in charge of Civil Military Affairs, Chief Instructor at Rwanda Military Academy in Gako, and Deputy Chief Military Personnel Officer in the United Nations Mission in South Sudan -UNMISS Sudan.
Among others, Lt Gen Kabandana was once the Chairman of the Military Tender Board: Chief of Logistics, RDF HQ; Commandant of Rwanda Military Academy and Director of Rwanda Peace Academy.
He was promoted from the rank of Major General to Lieutenant General towards the end of last year after completing his tour of duty as the Joint Task Force Commander of Rwandan Security Forces deployed to fight terrorists in Mozambique.
Minister Mbabazi also commended Rwanda’s heroes for their contribution to make Rwanda an internationally recognized country which is currently contributing to different peacekeeping missions.
She requested participants of the discussions, particularly the youth, to take responsibility and leading step to desist those who misinterpret history.
“We sent airplanes carrying relief items as well as more than 70 medical, emergency and recovery personnel,” Gibril Shtewi, a Libyan aid official told Xinhua.
The Libyan teams so far rescued 27 people, recovered 53 bodies, and provided medical assistance to more than 400 people in southern Türkiye.
The Libyan government has sent 55 rescue and safety specialists as well as four tracing dogs to “help authorities in Türkiye deal with the consequences of the earthquakes.”
More than 30,000 people were killed and many more were injured so far after two strong earthquakes hit Syria and Türkiye on Monday.
The opening ceremony of the three-day expo was attended by Egyptian President Abdel-Fattah al-Sisi and leaders of global energy, oil and gas companies.
With over 500 exhibitors, the expo is expected to attract over 32,000 attendees to engage in dialogue, create partnerships, do business, and explore solutions and strategies that will reshape the global energy markets.
Speaking at the opening ceremony, Egyptian Minister of Petroleum and Mineral Resources Tarek El-Molla said EGYPS is a platform for exchanging views and presenting distinguished initiatives to support regional and global integration and cooperation in the field of oil and gas.
The minister revealed that Egypt’s oil exports increased in 2022 to reach 18.2 billion U.S. dollars, in addition to achieving a surplus in the oil trade balance for the third year in a row.
The total investments in Egypt’s oil and gas sectors from 2014 to 2020 hit 74 billion U.S. dollars, according to the Egyptian Ministry of Petroleum and Mineral Resources.
Egypt aims to become a regional hub for the trade of oil and liquefied natural gas after major discoveries were made in recent years, including the Zohr gas field in the Mediterranean which holds an estimated 30 trillion cubic feet of gas.
The Algerian Foreign Ministry said in a statement that “Algeria strongly condemns the terrorist attack that targeted on Friday a detachment of the Nigerien army, which was patrolling the locality of Intagamey near the border with Mali, causing multiple fatalities and injuries among the soldiers, some of whom are still missing.”
The statement notes that the North African nation “expresses its solidarity with Niger and restates its call for the eradication of terrorism that has a negative impact on peace, security, and development in Africa.”
Quoting a statement from the Nigerien Defense Ministry, media reported on Sunday that at least 10 Nigerien soldiers were killed in an ambush, and more than a dozen others were injured by armed assailants near the border with neighboring Mali, adding that 16 people are still missing.
Police also seized 2,040 pellets of cannabis from one of the suspects identified as Vedaste Niyomurengezi.
Niyomurengezi was at the time trafficking the narcotics to Kigali.
“He was traveling in a public vehicle, which was stopped at a roadblock at about 11a.m, along Rubavu-Musanze highway, searched and the narcotics were found concealed in a sack of beans and carrots,” CIP Rukundo Mucyo, the Western Region Political and Civic Education Officer (RPCEO), said.
Information on Niyomurengezi, he added, was provided by residents in Rubavu.
“Niyomurengezi, after his arrest, disclosed one Elizabeth Niragire as his supplier as well as one Marie Chantal Nyirategera, who was storing the narcotics before being supplied to retailers. The two accomplices were also arrested later in Kanyirabirori cell also in Kanzenze sector,” said CIP Rukundo.
Niyomurengezi further said that Niragire is their ringleader and that she was supposed to pay him Rwf30,000 upon delivering the narcotics to her client in Kigali.
They were all handed over to RIB at Kanama station for further investigations as the search for other members of the same ring is still underway.
Cannabis is classified as a very severe narcotic drug in Rwanda.
Article 263 of law No. 68/2018 of 30/08/2018 determining offenses and penalties in general states that any person, who unlawfully produces, transforms, transports, stores, gives to another or who sells narcotic drugs and psychotropic substances, commits an offence.
Upon conviction for very severe narcotics, the offender faces between 20 years and life imprisonment, and a fine of between Rwf20 million and Rwf30 million.