The Ministry of Health said in a statement that the new cases relate to the Rusizi cluster and have been isolated and contacts traced.
On Thursday, the total confirmed cases reached 410, with 280 and two deaths.
Prompted by the increasing of figures in this district, on Thursday, the government decided to impose a two weeks total lockdown in Kamembe town of Rusizi which includes nearly four sectors.
The Connected Home solution will be delivered to customers via a fixed wireless point to point connection through an antenna installed at their houses. The antenna is pointed to a Fibre Optic network without necessarily having to bring a physical fibre optic cable to the home. This solution removes any accessibility obstacles, ultimately enabling direct internet access into the home with the same fiber-like speeds.
“We are pleased to announce that MTN has ventured into providing fixed broadband internet to homes. With more people working and learning at home, we saw it important for our solutions to evolve to meet the demands of this new normal. We previously only provided fixed connectivity solutions to corporate institutions such as banks but have now invested and extended the solution into residential areas,” said Didas Ndoli, Senior Manager of MTN’s Enterprise Business Unit.
Customers have 4 (four) broadband internet packages to choose from with speeds ranging from 5Mbps to 25Mbps depending on their particular needs.
Key features of MTN Business’s Fixed Home Broadband Internet are:
• Unlimited usage and high Internet speeds with the most reliable internet connectivity
• Installation and connection of a home within 48 hours upon subscribing for the service within Kigali (72 hours outside Kigali)
• 24/7 customer service and dedicated technical support
• Payment options via MTN MoMoPay by dialling *182*8*1*800000#
The service is currently available across Kigali covering over 90% of the city’s key residential areas.
“We have noted an increase in internet traffic, almost doubling in residential areas due to the Covid-19 situation. Good internet connectivity when working from home is no longer a luxury but has become the new normal. By providing affordable broadband Internet to homes, we are helping customers during this challenging time by addressing their real-world and business needs,” concluded Ndoli.
Customers who would like to have this new service installed at their homes can contact the MTN Sales team on a toll free line 3111 or send an email to Sales.RW@mtn.com.
In a statement released on this Thursday 04,Jun 2020, the government decded that following the assessment of the Health Ministry, effective today, residents of Kamembe including sectors of Kamembe, Mururu, Nyakarenzo and a part of Gihundwe must Stay at Home(lockdown) for at least the next two weeks.
“Public servants, private operators should work from home, except those offering essential services,” the statement reads.
Shops, markets, barber, beauty salons, garages, car wash, construction of houses and boat activities have been suspended; the only allowed services are those offering hygienic, food and health necessities, together with petroleum products and other essential products.
Restaurants were also allowed to employ a limited number of workers, only for takeaway services; while fishing and swimming on Lake Kivu have been prohibited.
Unnecessary movements, except for essential motives are prohibited; also movements between the part of Rusizi district under lockdown and the rest of the district which is not under total lockdown have been prohibited, except for health services.
The ministry urged Rusizi district citizens to keep respecting all measures that were put in place in order to prevent the COVID-19 spread and to report any incident on 114.
The Cabinet meeting, on Tuesday, okayed the resumption of interprovincial movements, movements between provinces and City of Kigali as well as taxi-moto services, effective today June 3.
However, public and private transport to and from the districts of Rusizi and Rubavu is closed. Public transport in the two districts is also prohibited. Only goods and cargo trucks transiting or destined to these isolated districts will be allowed, but under the set safety guidelines, with only two people aboard, including the driver.
Rwanda National Police (RNP) spokesperson, CP John Bosco Kabera said that the resumption transport operations and movements doesn’t mean leaning back or loosening on the directives and guidelines to combat COVID-19.
“This is rather a time to win the fight while observing all the safety measures against the pandemic such as hygiene, washing hands regularly, wearing face mask, social distancing and the curfew,” CP Kabera said.
Movements are prohibited between 9 AM and 5 PM.
Motorcyclists, he said, must abide by the directives issued by Rwanda Utility Regulatory Authority (RURA) including having hand sanitizer, a fabric to wear inside the helmet, wear face mask, use a meter and cashless payment and leave enough distance in their parking lots.
Equally, passengers using motorcycles should also respect everything required of them like compulsory wearing of face mask, cashless payment of fares and sanitizing their hands before boarding.
To transporters that were already in their operation, CP Kabera said, nothing has changed on the safety directives; “continue to exercise maximum compliance.”
“As movements resume in most parts of the country, which comes with increased traffic flow and movement of people; we inform you that we have also resumed the road safety awareness–Gerayo Amahoro–to prevent road accidents.”
The year-long Gerayo Amahoro campaign was put to halt in its 46th week. RNP, therefore, reminds road users on the following:
{{DRIVERS }}
Avoid using a phone when driving
Don’t drink and drive
Regulate your speed; respect the speed limit.
Wear a seatbelt at all times
Respect traffic control signposts and pedestrian rights
{{MOTORCYCLISTS }}
When you drink don’t ride
Wear a helmet at all times. This applies to your passenger as well.
Avoid using a phone when riding
Avoid bad maneuvers
Respect traffic control signposts and pedestrian rights
{{PASSENGER}}
Your safety is your responsibility; report bad driving/riding
When on a motorcycle, stay focused, don’t be distracted by phone
Avoid putting the motorcyclist under pressure to speed for personal reasons
{{PEDESTRIAN }}
Walk on the left side of the road facing oncoming traffic
Use pedestrian crosswalks where they exist and avoid using a phone or earphones when crossing.
Walk fast but don’t run when crossing the road
{{CHILDREN}}
Avoid going or using the road without the company of a responsible person
A responsible person; when in company of a child, hold their hand and walk from the left side of the road.
Don’t loiter or play in the road
When in the vehicle, children occupy the back seat and wear seatbelt
When driving, ensure children are not playing/jumping in the car or with their head, arms out
CP Kabera said: “Rwanda National Police thanks all partners and citizens of Rwanda in general for their role in this period to combat COVID-19 as well as Gerayo Amahoro campaign. Your continued partnership is paramount.
To every citizen of Rwanda, the slogan is now #RwanyaCovid19, #GereyoAmahoro until we win the fight against the pandemic and make road safety our culture for the safety of everyone on the road.”
The new cases relate to the Rusizi district cluster, and have been isolated and contacts traced. Rusizi district borders Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC).
Though, Rwanda and DRC have agreed to restore trade activities cautiously, the new cases of coronavirus could be a major setback on efforts to bring life back to normal.
This outbreak has resulted in two districts, Rusizi and Rubavu, to remain under lockdown as public transport and moto-taxi operations resumed on Wednesday.
Residents of Rusizi and Rubavu districts are not allowed to move outside their respective districts as health workers and officials work around the clock to contain the spread of the virus.
Rwanda has so far registered 2 deaths, 271 recoveries, leaving 124 active cases.
The supplies were donated directly from China’s People’s Liberation Army as part of the two countries’ military-to-military ties. They include disposable medical masks, surgical masks, medical N95 respirators, medical safety goggles, disposable one-piece protective gowns, infusion pumps, infrared thermometers, among others.
The Ambassador of the People’s Republic of China to the Republic of Rwanda, H.E. Ambassador RAO Hongwei, while handing over the equipment to the CDS, said that the supplies are meant to support Rwandan people and the military’s effort to fight the coronavirus.
“The donation will help the Rwandan side to improve the capability to fight against the COVID-19 pandemic. It is a sign of profound and friendly relation between China and Rwanda,” He said.
“The Chinese side attaches great importance to China-Rwanda military to military ties which is an indispensable part of our bilateral relations. Both sides have frequent exchanges and co-operation on UN peacekeeping, anti-terrorism, humanitarian relief, epidemic research and also public health sector. I strongly believe that with strong support from China and from around the world Rwanda will overcome the pandemic at an earlier date,” the Ambassador added.
Gen. Jean Bosco Kazura, Rwanda’s Chief of Defence Staff thanked the People’s Liberation Army for the gesture, saying it is another sign of continuing to strengthen the existing excellent relations between the two armies.
“In this particular moment of this pandemic of Covid-19 we can work together to find a solution to this problem. And the donation we have received today shows that if we put our efforts together we can definitely fight and overcome this challenge.” Gen. Kazura said
Rwanda National Police spokesperson, CP John Bosco Kabera said that despite the death of one of the Rwandan Police peacekeeper of COVID-19, who was serving under the UN Mission in South Sudan, measures are being strengthened to protect the peacekeepers.
“RNP is saddened with the death of PC Mbabazi Enid, who was part of Rwanda FPU-1 contingent deployed in Malakal, South Sudan. We condole with the bereaved family. We honour PC Mbabazi for her selfless service is ensuring safety and security for her country and restoring peace in other countries. She died in the name of security and peace,” said CP Kabera.
“We have jointly stepped up measures to further guarantee the safety of peacekeepers including educating them on the spread of the pandemic and effective protection,” CP Kabera said.
In her condolence message, UNMISS Police Commissioner, Unaisi L. Vuniwaqa said:
“It is with deep regret that the news of the sudden demise of our dear colleague Enid MBABAZI is received. The entire UNPOL Component grieve the contingent as well as her dear family back at home. We honour her contribution to the mission and the people of South Sudan.
On behalf of the Component,we wish to convey our profound condolences and pray that her soul rests in peace. May the blessings of the Almighty be with her family and all Rwanda FPU members here in South Sudan.”
UNMISS FPU Coordinator, Lt. Col. Mikhail Bychikhin also said: “… we convey to your personnel our deepest words of sympathy and condolences for the loss of your comrade.”
The Special Representative of the Secretary General to UNMISS David Shearer, in his guidelines against COVID-19 to protect peacekeepers issued back in April, among others, urges those feeling sick and experiencing coronavirus-like symptoms, such as fever, cough, shortness of breath or breathing difficulty to stay in their accommodation, call the supervisor and the UNMISS medical clinic.
Supervisors are also required to consider whether some staff can work from their accommodation instead of the office. Where necessary to maintain a physical presence in the workplace, the team may take turns at working from home and the office to minimize unnecessary contact.
The SRSG also emphasized the WHO safety guidelines; when you are at work, wash your hands frequently with soap and water or use hand sanitizer, not to shake hands with others; social distancing, to sanitize their equipment regularly; avoiding holding meetings or where deemed necessary to ensure the meeting room is large enough for participants to sit at least one meter apart.
Those arrested are Adrien Iradukunda, 27, the driver of the vehicle they which was intercepted transporting the minerals and Gilbert Ndiroreye, 48, the owner of the minerals.
The vehicle plate number RAB 876F carrying the minerals was intercepted in Kinihira Sector, Gitinda Cell.
The police spokesperson for the Southern region, Chief Inspector of Police (CIP) Sylvestre Twajamahoro said the suspects collected the minerals from different illegal miners.
“We received information that Ndiroreye and Iradukunda are buying and collecting minerals in the area. We traced and caught them in possession of 2, 800kgs, which they were transporting in the vehicle plate RAB 876F. Ndiroreye was the owner while Iradukunda is the driver,” CIP Twajamahoro said.
The spokesperson said that those minerals were mainly excavated in closed mining concessions.
“Mining concessions in Kabagari and Kinihira sectors, where the minerals were mined, closed for safety and legal reasons. Anyone who conducts mining activities in these closed sites, therefore, breaks the law put also exposes themselves to risks because of the status of these concessions,” said CIP Twajamahoro.
Article 3 of the ministerial regulations on fighting smuggling in mineral trading, forbids “importation of minerals into Rwanda without proper documents indicating their origin and the weight at origin, given by the right authorities.”
These minerals have to be with required trade documents, and to be certified and tagged by competent authorities.
Equally, article 4 provides that transportation of minerals outside mining licensed areas—concessions and permits perimeters—is only allowed, when the consignment shows the source mine, its value and when it has the right tag.
Article 54 of the law on mining and quarry operations, states that “any person, who undertakes mineral or quarry exploration, exploitation, processing or trading without a licence commits an offence.”
Upon conviction, the offender is liable to imprisonment for a term of between two and six months and a fine of not less than Rwf1 million and not more than Rwf5 million or only one of these penalties.
The court also orders confiscation of any seized minerals or quarry in storage, trading or processing without a licence.
Cabinet meeting on Tuesday took new decisions to prevent the spread of the Coronavirus pandemic, allowing motorbikes and public service vehicles to resume operations except in Rusizi and Rubavu districts.
The ease comes at a time when the number of infections continues to rise with 384 cases and two deaths.
While on National Radio, Minister Shyaka said that Rwandans should not wander anyhow but be more vigilant and to comply with the established regulations.
Prof Shyaka said that the resumption of travel between provinces does not mean that everyone should go even those who don’t have important things to do. The main coronavirus protection is to stay home.
Uyisenga was at the time smuggling 10 rolls of electric cables and 10 weighing scales, among others, Police said.
Chief Inspector of Police (CIP) Sylvestre Twajamahoro, the Police spokesperson for the Southern region, said that the vehicle, which the suspect had hired to transport the goods, was also impounded.
He added that the driver of the cab managed to escape the arrest. “He parked and abandoned the car, and run away after seeing Police officers, leaving his client and her goods in the vehicle.”
The goods had been smuggled into the country from a neighbouring country, through a porous border post, said CIP Twajamahoro.
“We had received information about the vehicle carrying smuggled brought into the country through illegal routes. Police mounted a checkpoint and intercepted the vehicle in Huye Cell, Ngoma Sector, although the driver managed to flee.”
Uyisenga argued that he got the goods from Nyaruguru District and intended to sell them in Huye District.
CIP Twajamahoro thanked a resident, who reported the smuggling and evasion of tax.
“These are acts of illegal trade and tax evasion, with impact on the country’s economy and development,” he observed.
The penalties for smuggling include impounding the vehicle used and the goods, which are auctioned off.
Besides this, drivers involved in the smuggling activities are fined $5000 and also prosecuted in accordance to the law.