The goods were recovered from three suspected thieves, who were pursued and arrested shortly after the night Saturday burglary.
The recovered good include four bags of rice, a flat television set, two 20-litre jerrycans of cooking oil, a DVD deck and home theatre.
Chief Inspector of Police (CIP) Bonaventure Twizere Karekezi, the Police spokesperson for the Western region, identified the suspected thieves as christophe Irakoze, 18, Jean Bosco Basabose, 19, and one only identified as Gabby, 21.
“In the night of Saturday, the victim, Lahab Mukanoheri, called the Police and local leaders reporting that unknown people had broken into his shop located in Kinamba village, Pera cell in Bugarama Sector and stole some of the goods,” CIP Karekezi said.
“The deployed police officers pursued the burglars that night and caught them with all the stolen items, which were returned to the owner and suspects handed over to RIB at Bugarama station,” he added.
Mukanoheri commended the Police’s quick response to recover her goods.
“It was about 2 AM, it was raining and the thieves entered my shop after vandalizing the window. I was sleeping in the next room when I heard people whispering outside.
When I checked the shop I found I had been robbed and I immediately called the Police and local leaders,” Mukanoheri said.
“I am happy that my goods have been recovered because this would have been a big loss in my business. I really thank our Police for the quick response,” she added.
Theft, under article 166 of the penal code, is punishable with an imprisonment of between one and two years, a fine of between Rwf1 million and Rwf2 million, a community service of not more than six months or one of these penalties.
Statistics show that the majority of divorces cases were due to the fact that some couples have abandoned their homes for a period of 12 months, mainly caused by infidelity among others.
Assumpta Ingabire, the permanent secretary of the Ministry of Gender and Family Promotion (MIGEPROF), in a conversation with IGIHE, said that the government needs to put more effort into preparing couples that are to be wed, in an attempt to see the reduction of these numbers.
“We have to reevaluate the preparation given to the couple about to get married; the local leaders should work hand in hand with religious leaders in order to create a longer period of counseling to the newlyweds, helping them to really see if they are meant to be together and if not separate beforehand”, She appealed.
{{Kigali leads }}
According to the report from the NISR named ‘Rwanda Vital Statistics Report 2019’, the City of Kigali comes on top among the divorces pronounced in the whole country with 2400 cases. The Southern Province is counting 1989 cases, the Western Province is with 1820, while in East they count 1482 cases and the North comes last with 1250 cases.
However, statistics also show that in the same year, about 48526 marriages were legally pronounced.
Fidele Rutayisire, founder and executive director of the Rwanda Men’s Resource Center (RWAMREC) told IGIHE that these divorces are due to many reasons among which is the fact that people are now aware of their rights and came to understand gender equality; equal tasks sharing and responsibilities in their home.
“In the past, women were supported by men, the man was the pillar of the household chain, and the woman did nothing without the consent of the man. Now women are so empowered that they no longer need a man to take care of themselves. As a person becomes independent economically, they become independent in every other area; when there is a hindrance their first thought is, what do I need this troubling woman or man for?”
Among other things that Rutayisire points at is the immaturity saying that with their minds they have to fight over every little issue.
“There should be some kind of follow up of newlywed people, a sort of guidance from a more mature and experienced couple.” Said Ingabire Assumpta, the permanent secretary of MIGEPROF
{{The future expects even more divorce cases}}
Rutayisire said the increase in divorce cases these days is a sign of how it is likely to increase in the coming years; this is due to the fact that children born into divorced families also have a higher risk of divorce when they get married.
“In the near future, this will be ten times worse, because these people will have children, and these children growing up will see divorce as a normal thing. In the future, we are expecting to see even more divorce cases.” He said
He said that divorces not only affect the family, in a sense of separation but also hurts the growth of children born in divorced families; family conflicts can lead to murder, occasions emotional stress among other things.
Rutayisire added that one of the things that can help in reducing the number of divorce cases is to teach the principles of equality, helping people understand the no one is superior to the other.
On Saturday, June 13, Minister of Local Government, Prof. Anastase Shyaka, Minister of Infrastructure, Claver Gatete and Minister of Defense, Maj. Gen. Albert Murasira went on a visit inspecting different projects in Nyagatare.
With them were also Minister of Education, Dr. Valentine Uwamariya, and State Minister in Ministry of Agriculture and Animal Resources, Dr. Jean Chrysostome Ngabitsinze.
The model village located in 19km from Nyagatare City, among other visits, are near completion and will be housing 64 vulnerable families; other infrastructure affiliated to the model village under construction include 31km Nyagatare-Tabagwe-Karama chipseal road and Tabagwe Health Centre, which is being expanded.
GS Tabagwe, a primary and secondary school, is being upgraded, with construction of dormitories for learners and teachers who live far from the school.
The school which enrolls 2,415 learners will have a new refectory, administrative block, laboratory, and classrooms.
Among other infrastructure that officials visited are markets, integrated handcraft centre, water and electricity projects.
Rwanda National Police (RNP) spokesperson, Commissioner of Police (CP) John Bosco Kabera said that individual responsiveness in respect of the set safety guidelines is a key factor in containing and defeating COVID-19.
“Make a choice that makes you safe from COVID-19. The choice is #NtabeAriNjye (I shouldn’t be the one),” CP Kabera said.
This literally means that I shouldn’t be the trouble causer in my family, at my place of work, in my shop or restaurant. It is my responsibility to ensure that I protect myself so well because if I don’t, then am exposing myself and the people around me in the danger of being attacked by Covid-19, the Spokesperson added.
”When you make such a responsive choice, you are also protecting members of your household, community, workmates, customers, fellow business people and passengers you are travelling within in the vehicles.” CP Kabera said.
The choices, he said, should be tailored on the government directives and recommended safety guidelines.
“Wearing the face-mask well by covering your mouth and nose, and at all times in public; ensuring at least social/physical distancing; prioritizing your movements to consider only those necessary; avoiding shaking hands or hug; washing hands regularly with clean water and soap or using hand sanitizer; respecting the acceptable movement time, and for motorcyclists, they should carry hand sanitizers and ensure that their clients wear their facemasks properly and a piece of cloth inside the helmet;
All these are choices you make that protects you and everyone around you, from catching or spreading Coronavirus but also a massive support to the government efforts to combat it.”
CP Kabera set a challenge for the public to share on social media platforms on choices they have made under the hashtag #NtabeAriNjye, to influence others on positive actions against the spread of COVID-19.
Those arrested include three, who entered into the country from Uganda through an illegal border post and two others, who had travelled to Kigali from Rusizi.
Borders are closed and no one is allowed to go or leave Rusizi and Rubavu districts, as per the government directives. Only cargo vehicles are permitted use commute to or through these districts and borders.
Meanwhile, 12 other people were arrested on Saturday for violating the curfew, with some of them found driving while drunk. Others were operating bars and those found drinking in these bars.
Vedaste Uwabarengeye, who had travelled to Kigali from Rusizi, said that in the week hours of June 13, he secretly walked to Nyamasheke from Rusizi, where he boarded a vehicle to Kigali.
“I was called by a friend, who told me that there was a job in Musanze District. I managed to get to Nyamasheke unnoticed, but I was arrested on arrival to Kigali before boarding another vehicle to Musanze,” Uwabarengeye said.
Ezra Niyonkuru, who had also travelled from Rusizi, was a taxi-moto operator in Kigali, who was in Rusizi when the country was put under lockdown in March.
In the morning of June 13, Niyonkuru was helped by a cargo truck driver, who transported him and his motorcycle to Huye District.
It’s in Huye that Niyonkuru rode his motorcycle to Kigali, where he was identified and arrested on arrival.
RNP spokesperson, CP John Bosco Kabera said that those who had travelled from Rusizi and Uganda have been isolated.
He warned against undermining the directives and derailing national efforts against the pandemic.
“No one is immune to COVID-19, be where you are supposed to be and in the right time. For those in Rusizi and Rubavu, they are required to remain in their respective homes and communities until the government directs otherwise,” CP Kabera said.
He advised Rwandans living out of the country to go through the legal border points so as to go through the medical process for Coronavirus instead of being arrested for illegal cross-border as well as putting their lives and those of others at risk.
The spokesperson also sternly warned those who operate bars in this period or those who go there to drink as well as shops which have been turned into bars.
Bars are still closed in this period of the pandemic.
He further urged the public to respect the curfew adding that 9 pm is the time to be at home but not going home.
Vedaste Hakizimana, 38, was using his shop as cover to sell cannabis to consumers.
He was arrested on Thursday after 98 pellets of cannabis were recovered from his shop located in Rusumo Cell of Gatumba Sector.
Chief Inspector of Police (CIP) Bonaventure Twizere Karekezi, the Police spokesperson for the Western region, said that Hakizimana had used his shop as address for cannabis abusers.
“Residents reported Hakizimana to local leaders that he sells cannabis in his shop; local authorities in turn called the Police,” CIP Karekezi said.
“We later conducted an operation recovered the pellets in his shop, which were concealed in other goods,” he added.
“It is said that Hakizimana was a retailer of cannabis in Gatumba Sector and is connected to a ring of drug traffickers; some of them have been arrested and others still at large.”
CIP Karekezi said that there is a ring of cannabis traffickers and retailers, some of whose particulars have been discovered through information sharing with the public, including Hakizimana.
He warned that operations are continuous for any drug dealer to “face the wrath of the law.”
“The law is very clear and the punishment for engaging in drug related crimes is severe. We appeal to the public to maintain the spirit of information sharing so as to prevent such people from poisoning Rwandans and the young people in particular, who are the majority of victims,” CIP Karekezi warned.
Anyone convicted of trafficking and selling narcotic drugs faces a sentence of between 20 years and life in prison, and a fine of up to Rwf30 million, as stipulated under article 263 of the penal code.
A statement that was issued by Prime Minister’s office on behalf of President Paul Kagame Saturday reads
“In solidarity with the Government and people of our neighboring sister Republic of Burundi during this time of grief due to the demise of His Excellency President Pierre Nkurunziza; the President of the Republic of Rwanda His Excellency Paul Kagame has ordered that the national flag and the flag of East African community on Rwandan territory will fly at half-mast from Saturday the 13th June, 2020 until the burial.”
“We continue to grieve with the People of Burundi and the family of His Excellency Pierre Nkurunziza during this difficult time.”
President Nkurunziza, 55, died on June 8th due to a cardiac arrest according to a statement that was released by the government of Burundi.
The graduation of the eighth intake was presided over by the Minister of Justice and Attorney General, Johnston Busingye. The event was also graced by the Inspector General of Police (IGP) Dan Munyuza, UR Vice-Chancellor, Prof. Philip Cotton and the Deputy IGP in charge of Administration and Personnel, Juvenal Marizamunda, among other officials.
The course attracted participants Botswana, Central African Republic, Kenya, Ethiopia, Namibia, Somalia, South Sudan, Zimbabwe and Rwanda, the host.
It was held in line with the national guidelines on fighting the spread of novel Coronavirus.
The one-year PSCSC combines both academic and professional aspects; a Master’s degree in Peace Studies and Conflict Transformation, and a level 7 certificate in Strategic Leadership and Management. It is conducted in partnership with the University of Rwanda through its Center for Conflict Management and the UK Bramshill College of Policing.
Minister Busingye said that the Police Senior Command is an important milestone in their career path, and hailed their remarkable efforts and positive attitude demonstrated during the course period, despite the challenges posed the COVID-19 pandemic.
“The history of Rwanda and the journey that the people of Rwanda traveled before, during and after the tragic genocide committed against the Tutsi in 1994 taught us more than any other country that peace, security, justice, good governance and development are indissolubly interlinked,” Minister Busingye said.
“It, therefore, flows from this undeniable reality that only trained, professional, human rights abiding and disciplined law enforcement agencies, with strategic command dimension, and a full understanding of national, regional and global peace and security dynamic are inevitable to the sustainability of this nexus,” he added.
He noted that threats come from unexpected sources and directions, which requires effective response to the challenges of the contemporary policing environment associated with globalization, use of sophisticated technology in the commission of crime, transnational organized crime and others.
Effective response to these security challenges, Minister Busingye said, requires regional, international and judicial cooperation, experience sharing as well as the harmonization of training and other programmes tailored to identified law enforcement challenges.
He emphasized that cooperation is key in addressing transnational and globalized crimes most of which are technology-based, which the PSCSC reflects.
While pledging the Government’s continued support to your work of policing and training in particular, the Minister urged the graduands to use the acquired knowledge and skills to make a difference in their respective countries as their respond to security challenges of today and tomorrow.
“The endorsements and symbols for Senior Commanders you have received should not be mere accolades to wear but rather a fresh rejuvenated start to big tasks ahead.”
The UR Vice-Chancellor Prof. Philip Cotton urged the graduands to prepare for new challenges ahead and be open to learning every day as key to success in their career.
“Hard work, humility and passion for the people you serve will carry you through the next phases in your life,” Prof. Cotton said.
The Commandant of NPC, Commissioner of Police (CP) Christophe Bizimungu said that the course is designed to equip participants with quality skills in strategic leadership, professional policing as well as a critical understanding of peace and conflict.
“It enables participants to perform command and staff functions at strategic level and enhances their ability to manage wider aspects of security,” said CP Bizimungu.
He said that the College delivered to the core of the course despite the challenges caused by COVID-19, and thanked the exemplary discipline of the participants, who were compelled to adopt to the new safety restrictions including staying within the boundaries of the College throughout the rest of the course.