“Condolences to families of two Rwandans 45 years old and 55-year-old who passed away today,” wrote the Ministry of Health in the August 18 update.
On the same day, the country also confirmed 37 new cases, bringing the total number of cases to 2577 and the active cases, 884.
The update also states that of the new cases Kigali recorded 28 these are contacts of positive cases & testing in high risk groups, Rusizi has 6 cases while Rwamagana, Rubavu and Huye each recorded one case.
Rwanda has so far registered 1,683 recoveries after 22 patients who were discharged on August 18.
The general public is very much concerned by the increasing number of cases in the capital Kigali that has led to the closure of two big markets of Nyabugogo-Kwa Mutangana and the Kigali City Market.
The Minister of Health said that they will conduct a general test in the near future to see whether another lockdown could be an option to consider.
Symptoms of Coronavirus include coughing, colds, and difficulty in breathing; it is transmitted through the mucous membranes of the respiratory tract.
Rwandans are required to continue to comply with government regulations, especially with frequent washing of hands and water and soap, wearing masks when leaving home or in public.
Victor Okorafor of Empathy Manor Bed and Breakfast, has had a discussion with RHA Chairman with whom they touched a range of business ideas and approaches towards boosting the hospitality sector in Rwanda. The discussion is shared on their YouTube channel.
RHA is one of the five Associations that make up the Chamber of Tourism. The Chamber of Tourism is one of the ten professional Chambers that currently exists under Rwanda Private Sector Federation (PSF).
As its members, RHA brings together players in the hospitality sector such as hotels, resorts, apartments, restaurants, game lodges, guest houses, night clubs, eco-lodges, coffee shops, and bars.
Nsengiyumva says that doing business in Rwanda is much easier than in any other country in the region so far.For one to get an operational license to start his/her business, for example, one only needs to apply online and to follow the guidelines designed by Rwanda development Board [RDB].
He says the main function of RHA is to represent the common interests of members in the Hospitality Industry through advocacy for industry-friendly legislation, promotion of quality products and services, offering value added member services, as well as to be the resource for industry information and education to members, their employees, government, media, and all other interested parties.
“As a committee, we are here to represent the association, it is the body that tries to be the voice of the members.”
When explaining the structure of the association, Nsengiyumva said “We have a structure that is segmented at different levels; on national level we have a committee composed of 5 people. Country wide, we have 18 zones and the structure keeps on going up to the grassroots level; every district has its own committee that organizes meetings bringing together members in the area to share experiences, but alsodo capacity building where needed.”
RHA also helps with strengthening the marketing systems of their members’ businesses through different channels.
“We support members’ marketing activities via our websites. We also produce magazines that we distribute in different embassies here in Rwanda and abroad.
Other than that, we do participate in international marketing forums like ITV and attend international tourism exhibitions in Europe where we share our portals and establish business contacts, detailing the different hospitality experiences our country has to offer,” says Nsegiyumva.
Nsengiyumva said that the association also works in partnership with the government to set guidelines and policies for the hospitality sector making sure to contribute ideas that will benefit members.
Get affordable room rates , book and stay with Empathy Manor on our website.
For more news and details regarding Empathy Manor Guest House, and other insightful details on Rwanda, Hospitality, and Tourism, please visit Empathy Manor’s blog: https://empathymanor.com/blog/
Website: https://empathymanor.comAutomatic word wrap
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/empathymanorofficialAutomatic word wrap
Twitter: https://twitter.com/empathymanor?s=12Automatic word wrap
Instagram: https://instagram.com/empathymanor_official?igshid=nurgek1pq8ix
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoF3vAx1j4MOaXB2P6Q3d0w
The funds will be used to help the people of Gakenke, Ngororero and Nyabihu districts affected by the disasters was donated by the United Nations Central Emergency Response Fund, UNCERF.
The floods and landslides have had a devastating effect on the population of the region, with 23 deaths and 577 houses destroyed in May in Gakenke District.
Also this month in Ngororero district, heavy rains killed 20 people and destroyed 1423 houses, leaving about 1977 families homeless.
Apart from killing and destroying houses, the heavy rains also affected agriculture where rice farmers in Gakenke District are counting massive losses after floodwater from River Mukugwa submerged their farms.
A statement from the Ministry of Emergency says the project was intended to support households affected by the heavy rains in late 2019 and early 2020.
Minema says the $ 1 million will be used to help the community restore farming activities and to buy Iron sheets and cement that will be used to build disaster-stricken homes.
A total of 2,900 households corresponding to 13,651 individuals will be targeted with agriculture tools such as hoes, shovels, pickaxes, and watering cans and improved seeds at the budget of $200,000.
About $ 800,000 will be spent on the purchase of iron sheets and cement that will be used to find shelters for 1,765 families affected by the disaster.
Across the country, the sectors of health, agriculture, housing and shelter, infrastructure, and environment were mostly affected as highlighted by data collected from all 30 districts where there were 317 deaths, 8,143 houses partially or fully destroyed and 9,383 hectares of crops damaged.
{{Rwandans are urged to be vigilant}}
As the rainy season draws to a close, the Permanent Secretary at the Ministry of Emergency, Olivier Kayumba, told The Newtimes that Rwandans should take care of themselves.
“Residents should play a role in preventing disasters rather than waiting for the effects. They can do it for example by fastening the roofs of the houses so that they are not easily blown away by the wind,” he said.
Kayumba said the government will continue to assist those affected by the disaster, but warned that those affected by the floods should find a way to relocate to safer areas.
The machine named “Intare”, designed to automatically spray disinfectant on to an individual from head to toe with a sanitizer, will be put in public places.
This disinfection walkthrough-detector has great technology. It includes hand sanitization, temperature measuring, and makes sure that a person is wearing the mask properly and when it detects an anomaly, the individual is not allowed to proceed to the public premises.
It has a high-end camera that captures information of the entrant. When the temperature is above normal (37ºC), it will immediately give a warning, as extreme temperatures are one of the symptoms of Coronavirus.
After the temperature is measured, the walkthrough-detector has a mechanism that will require a person to immediately stretch out his or her hands in front of a machine containing a sanitizer and wash your hands.
After that, a person will enter in another room with his arms up, and the machines will release the sanitizer on his whole body. There is also a place where one can step on so that even the virus under the shoes will not survive.
All information will be collected for each person who enters and will be submitted to the health authorities.
For a person who has been cleansed won’t get that wet in a way that makes him uncomfortable.
The walkthrough-detectors have a 40-liter tank that can be filled with sanitizing liquid. Every forty liters can treat up to 1200 people, according to the SMS Group, which will sell one liter for Rwf5,000.
The Director-General of RBC, Dr. Sabin Nsanzimana said the move will help the country fight the Coronavirus.
He thanked SMS Group for bringing this technology to Rwanda, saying that it is the responsibility of every Rwandan to find solutions for Coronavirus, rather than just for the health sector.
He said the walkthrough-detectors will continue to be analyzed for further improvement.
The Rwandan SMS Group has made the machine at its headquarters in Masoro, capable of making five of them per day.
SMS Group CEO Mike Byusa said the idea for developing this technology came up as a result of their team thinking about setting up one terminal where different Covid-19 preventive measures can be found including hand sanitization, temperature measuring, and more.
“We thought of something that can combine various measures. With this technology, you can have your temperature measured, hands sanitized, key individual information collected, and your whole body disinfected in one place.”
Byusa said they are ready to work with anyone who wants it, “because this machine can be used in public places such as schools, shopping malls, churches, and more.”
IGIHE learned that the walkthrough-detector costs Rwf10 million, compare to Rwf25 when sourced from outside the country, exclusive of cost, insurance, and freight.
Byusa said walkthrough-detector is not expensive, compared to what it does and that SMS Group has devised a plan that will help more buyers. For the first 100 people who will buy between one and five walkthrough-detectors, they will earn a 10% discount while those who buy 20 will enjoy a 20% discount.
SMS Group says it plans to build more small machines that wash and, measure temperature, which will cost three million Rwandan francs.
Azerah Musabyimana, 38, was arrested in Nyarugenge District, Kimisagara Sector, Kimisagara Cell in Amahoro Village with 5,082 pellets of cannabis.
Chief Inspector of Police (CIP) Theogene Kariwabo, the acting District Police Commander of Nyarugenge said the successful operation followed credible information shared by a resident, who was aware of Musabyimana’s criminal dealings.
“A neighbour, who knew Musabyimana’s criminal business, decided to do the right thing, came forward to report and prevent her dealings,” CIP Kariwabo said.
“Musabyimana was arrested red-handed with 5,082 pellets of cannabis, which she was at the time selling to some of her clients. She was handed over to Rwanda Investigation Bureau in Kimisagara,” he added.
Musabyimana had just relocated to Amahoro Village for a month from Rubavu District where she was previously running her criminal business.
In an attempt to prevent being detected and arrested, Musabyimana started a small grocery business, which she was using as cover.
Musabyimana’s supplier was also arrested recently.
Her arrest came a day after a group of seven other drug dealers was arrested in Gasabo District with 10kgs and 13,200 pellets of cannabis.
CIP Kariwabo, who thanked those who provided information on Musabyimana’s criminal dealings, said that the ongoing operations are aimed at breaching chains of supply.
The building had two sections including a restaurant and a warehouse of various types of merchandise. The cause of the fire is unknown.
Kabagema Investment Company treasurer, Dady Tumukunde, said that all of the goods lost in the fire had no insurance.
“We don’t know what caused the fire because we only open the warehouse to pack the goods to be sold. Not all of the contents were covered by the insurance. Only Rwf 50 million worth of goods were covered; which is what we are going to monitor to see if the insurance can help us.” Said Tumukunde
Faustin Nzabonimpa, the owner of the building, said that even though he had insurance, he will suffer losses.
“I had fire insurance, but just because I had it doesn’t mean I didn’t face losses; see from now on the building will be closed as I follow up on this insurance, this might even take more than a month,” said Nzabonimpa.
The warehouse contained foodstuffs, oils, candles, and a variety of other items. A preliminary census showed that the damage was estimated to Rwf100 million.
Dr. Goyal is one of the leading dentists in Rwanda who has introduced this method of using Orthodontics braces to hold the teeth back to the line.
In an interview with IGIHE, Dr. Goyal said that these teeth problems can be caused by several different factors including those in the family.
“There are several reasons why teeth may not be aligned, may be from the family but the dental thickness depends on the size of the jawbone. If it is too small, the teeth will not go to the line properly. Another possible cause is when a child removes teeth at an early age due to lack of parental care they tend not to grow properly.”
Dr. Goyal says they say the teeth are not on the line when they come in front, enters inside and or have hyperdontia.
According to this expert, one of the methods used to treat this problem is the use of the ” Orthodontics braces’’.
Dr. Goyal says that when they use these devices and the patient has no other problems, it can take less than two years for the teeth to be in line.
“It depends on the patient’s condition and his or her age when there is no other problem it takes a short time and faster, but when the patient does not follow the doctor’s guidelines it can delay but often take a short period,” he said.
After the removal of these devices, one is given other treatment but it also lasts for a short time and does not require him to go to the doctor regularly.
This treatment has no age limit.
{{Aging does not mean losing your teeth}}
While many think that one of the symbols of aging is losing teeth, this expert argues that aging is not related to losing teeth, that when one takes good care of it one gets old with them.
Dr. Goyal says that to have good teeth, one has to take care of them starting at a young age.
“When a child has the first tooth in the mouth it is a good time to start caring for him or her and brushing his or her teeth until the child can brush it at least twice a day,” he said.
Brushing your teeth alone is not enough Dr. Goyal says one should go to the doctor at least once every six months.
Apart from experts in arranging teeth in the line, the Advanced Dental Centre also has specialists in charge of treating others teeth and mouth problems including bad breath, tooth decay, tooth extraction, brushing, and whitening.
The expert says that people should put down the idea that dental care is expensive but go to the Advanced Dental Centre as they work with various insurance companies, RSSB, MMI, and others and it works all day of the week.
For advice on how to take good care of your teeth and medical care call the experts of the Advanced Dental Centre on 0789313200.
The Nyabugogo market located at Kwa Mutangana, and Kigali City Market also known as Nyarugenge Market and the businesses in their vicinity were closed for one week, effective August 17 by the city of Kigali.
The development comes after more than 300 new cases were traced in Kigali in the last three days, largely traced in the two markets.
“All traders in the two markets and the businesses in their vicinity should stay at home in effort to prevent more spread of COVID-19.” Said Nyarugenge district statement, where the two markets are located.
Traders with perishable commodities were given 24 hours, starting on August 17, to find potential buyers.
They were also instructed to do two COVID-19 tests on August 17 and August 23 respectively.
“Anyone who will not comply with this will not be allowed to use their stand when the markets reopen,” reads the statement.
Moreover, the wholesalers who used to supply the food commodities to the two markets that were closed, were given alternative sites where to sell their commodities from.
Vegetables and fruits suppliers will be meeting their clients at Groupe Scolaire Kanyinya-Nyarugenge district which is located on Shyorongi hill.
Other wholesalers of the same commodities in other areas were given Gitikinyoni market and other parts of the city, while irish potatoes traders will use the Nzove Warehouses in Nyarugenge district.
On Monday, numbers were still high with 87 new COVID-19 cases in Rwanda which took the total confirmed cases to 2540 cases and the active cases to 871.
According to the Ministry of Health, the results were obtained from 4,018 sample tests conducted in the last 24 hours.
The total number of confirmed cases stands is now 2,540; of which Kigali: 59 were from those tested in Nyabugogo Market, Rusizi: 25 these are from the testing in high risk groups, Huye: 2, Nyamasheke: 1
On the same day, the country reported 13 new recoveries, raising the number of recoveries to 1,661.
A statement was released to instruct traders of whom were working in the two big markets closed in Kigali following big numbers of COVID-19, to test for COVID-19 and to stay at home to avoid more spread of the pandemic.
“Anyone who will not comply with this, will not be allowed to use their stand when the markets reopen,” reads part of the statement.
The country has carried out 338,288 Covid-19 sample tests since mid-March and has a record of 8 people who succumbed to the pandemic.
On Sunday, August 16, the Minister of Health, Dr. Daniel Ngamije noted that tests within all markets in Kigali and other high-risk zones will kick off this week to determine the next steps which may as a last resort see the imposing of another lockdown.
Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) John Niyibizi, the District Police Commander (DPC) of Huye, said that Ntahomvukiye was arrested at his home where he was, at the time, distilling illicit brew locally known as Ibikwangari.
“We had information from residents of Gishamvu about two people in their area, who had ventured in producing illicit drinks, specifically ibikwangari and Kanyana,” SSP Niyibizi said.
“In response, we caught Ntahomvukiye at his home distilling ibikwangari; he had already distilled about 1,000 litres, which he was taking to the market.
We also seized about 250 other litres, which another suspect, still on the run, was processing to make kanyanga,” the DPC added.
“The substances were disposed of publicly, an event during which residents were sensitized on the ill-effects of consuming these drinks. Citizens were also educated on their role in fighting production and distribution of these substances, through information sharing.”
He observed that these substances have also been blamed for other crimes including assault, gender based violence and theft.
The DPC further warned that such unlawful acts can also spread COVID-19 in this period, especially during distribution and in local bars where they are consumed.