The incident happened on Thursday 5th January 2023 as he used a treadmill at a fitness facility known as Up Town Gym located in a house known as Kwa Mudjomba in Musanze town.
A treadmill is a device used for exercise, consisting of a continuous moving belt on which to walk or run.
After collapsing, people in the fitness room rushed him to a nearby health facility but died along the way.
His burial is scheduled on Saturday 7th January 2023.
Police Spokesperson in Northern Province, SP Alex Ndayisenga has told the media that the incident resulted from high speed of the treadmill.
SP Ndayisenga urged sports enthusiasts to be vigilant and get trained on the proper use of fitness machines to avoid possible accidents.
He also reminded trainers to show clients how to behave properly in gyms and to closely supervise them during physical exercises.
Those arrested include four Police officers and two civilians, who were acting as brokers.
The four Police officers, who include those attached to the department of Testing and Licensing, and their accomplices, were on Friday, January 6, paraded to the media at Kigali metropolitan headquarters in Remera.
The two brokers so far arrested, are instructors in driving schools in Kigali.
Commissioner of Police (CP) John Bosco Kabera, the RNP spokesperson, said that investigations have so far identified eight people that the group helped to acquire a driver’s license after paying them varying amounts of money and without doing the compulsory driving tests.
“Thorough investigations that started in June last year, found out that some driving school instructors were working with some Police officers to facilitate their students to acquire either provisional or definitive driver’s license.
Those seeking a driver’s license would pay a certain amount of money to the Police officers through their instructors,” CP Kabera said.
He warned the public against”criminal shortcuts” adding that investigations are still underway to arrest any member of the same group as well as those, who offered bribes to acquire a driver’s license.
CP Kabera further cautioned driving schools against such malpractices.
“Driving schools are supposed to facilitate their students to learn and understand traffic rules and regulations, and to be professional drivers.
Equally, Police officers are supposed to ensure that those seeking a driver’s license have passed the tests without any favour or exceptions. Contrary to that, you will be arrested to face the law, including those giving bribes for an illegal service,” CP Kabera warned.
Article 4 of the law N° 54/2018 of 13/08/2018 on fighting against corruption states that any person who offers, solicits, accepts or receives, by any means, an illegal benefit for himself/ herself or another person or accepts a promise in order to render or omit a service under his or her mandate or uses his or her position to render or omit a service, commits an offence.
Upon conviction, he/she is liable to imprisonment for a term of more than five years but not more than even years with a fine of three to five times the value of the illegal benefit offered, solicited or received.
Under article 276 of the law determining offences and penalties in general, any person, who, with fraudulent intention, produces a false written document, causes to write false statements, or produces a conflicting declaration, is considered to a commit the offence of forgery.
Upon conviction, he or she is liable to imprisonment for a term of not less than fives years but not more than seven years and a fine of between Rwf3 million and Rwf5 million, or one of these penalties.
The appointment has been announced through a communiqué released by the Office of Prime Minister this Friday.
Dr. Kalinda was born in Kitabi Sector of Nyamagabe District. He holds a PhD in Business Law acquired from Ottawa University in Canada.
He pursued undergraduate and Master’s courses at the National University of Rwanda.
In 2015, Dr. Kalinda was elected to represent Rwanda in the East African Legislative Assembly (EALA) replacing Parliamentarian Céléstin Kabahizi who had resigned.
He once served as a lecturer and Dean of School of Law at University of Rwanda.
Dr. Kalinda joins Rwanda’s Senate replacing Dr. Augustin Iyamuremye, the Senate President who resigned recently on 8th December 2022 citing sickness reasons.
Uwitonze’s body was found in the afternoon of Thursday 6th January 2023 in Akabeza Village of Rango B Cell.
Residents who identified the deceased as Uwitonze said that she has been a sex worker and resided in Byimana Village neighbouring with Akabeza where her body was found.
“It is apparent that he might have been strangled with an African traditional print wrapper she was wearing. She had no husband and lived with her children. The woman is part of the group of sex workers. We were together yesterday,” said a resident.
The executive secretary of Tumba Sector, Arsène Kabarisa has said that investigation is underway to establish the cause of her death. The deceased is survived by two children.
It is said that the four-star hotel located in Remera of Kigali City will have 88 rooms.
Initially, construction works began in 2015 with expectations to have it completed in 2016 at a tune of US$4 million (approximately Rwf4 billion) raised from two main sponsors including FIFA and the Moroccan football federation.
Construction works resumed on 21st August 2021, four years after suspension due to financial constraints. At the time, the first phase comprised of 40 rooms was expected to be completed by June 2022.
However, the project stalled again for six months waiting for shipment of some materials used by a Chinese firm which constructed the hotel.
Today, construction the first phase nears completion pending light works to clean the exterior, interior parts of the building and beautify the surrounding garden.
Among others, stout bars and ceramic tiles are being installed respectively on the front and back sides of the building.
The Assistant Spokesperson of FERWAFA, Jules Karangwa has told IGIHE that all works are to be completed this month and hand over the hotel to the local football governing body.
He further disclosed that the hotel’s management is going to be discussed where it will be operational before the upcoming FIFA Congress due in Kigali, the capital of Rwanda on 16th March.
The first section of the hotel built by China Civil Engineering Construction Company (CCECC Rwanda Ltd) was estimated to cost US$2.6 million. It has a ground floor and four more upper storeys.
The ground floor comprises a reception, two conference halls, two Presidential suites and two restaurants.
Construction works resumed in August 2021 after FERWAFA secured US$2.5 million from FIFA and the Royal Moroccan Football Federation (FRMF).
The US denounced the collaboration through a statement released on Wednesday 4th January 2022, few days after the publication of the report of UN Group of Experts on security situation in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC).
The report pointed out different things fueling insecurity in eastern DRC including the collaboration between FARDC and armed groups like FDLR and hate speeches against Kinyarwanda-speaking Congolese among others.
FDLR is a terrorist group formed by individuals responsible for the 1994 Genocide against the Tutsi.
The UN group of experts’ report released on 30th December 2022, pointed out the collaboration between FARDC and FDLR during a fighting with M23 at different times.
The coalition of FARDC and FDLR also shelled rockets on Rwandan territory at different times, which injured civilians and destroyed properties.
The US has denounced the collaboration and called on all armed groups to lay arms down.
“We denounce the collaboration between elements of the Congolese armed forces (FARDC) and armed groups, including FDLR, as outlined in the report. We strongly condemn attacks by multiple armed groups against UN peacekeepers, as well as the reported acts of torture, rape, and attacks against civilians by multiple armed actors which contributed to massive displacement,” reads part of the statement.
The country has also accused Rwanda of supporting M23 as highlighted in the report, and requested it to cease all support to M23 and withdraw its troops from eastern DRC.
Rwanda has repeatedly refuted the allegations and called the fighting with M23 an internal problem of DRC which resulted from failure to implement peace accords signed in 2013.
For several months, Kinyarwanda-speaking Congolese have been facing violence, torture while others were killed accused of being allies of M23.
The US has underscored concern about the worrying escalation of xenophobia and hate speech inciting violence against the Rwandophone community in the DRC which was highlighted in the report.
“We urge DRC officials to continue speaking out to condemn such discourse and to hold accountable those who employ violence,” adds the statement.
The United States also commended African-led diplomatic efforts, including the Nairobi and Luanda processes, to promote peace.
“Recognizing the leadership of the Heads of State of the East African Community and Angola, we urge Great Lakes leaders and armed actors to expedite implementation of multiple commitments to end the conflict, especially those agreed at the November 23 Luanda Mini-Summit on Peace and Security,” reads the statement.
“We expect the UN-sanctioned March 23 Movement [M23] to withdraw to the locations specified in the November 23 Luanda communiqué, and we call for all armed groups, including M23, to cease all hostilities, lay down their weapons, and join the East African Community-led Nairobi Process consultations between the DRC government and armed groups,” adds the statement.
Nairobi talks led to different resolutions including the call for armed groups cease hostilities, need for establishment of a joint committee between DRC, EAC and armed groups to expedite peace efforts.
M23 recently reiterated its commitment to withdraw from occupied areas. It has so far handed over Kibumba to the East African Regional Force (EACRF).
Prince Kid had been arrested over alleged sexual abuse against some of participants of Miss Rwanda beauty pageant, which he organized for long through his company, Rwanda Inspiration Backup.
His Defence Lawyer, Emelyne Nyembo has told IGIHE that the Prosecution has appealed against the decision of Nyarugenge Intermediate Court.
She however revealed that the court has not yet fixed the date for appeal hearing.
Prince Kid,34, was facing charges including soliciting or offering sexual favours, and harassment connected to sexual relations.
On 2nd December 2022, the court ruled on his release saying that the Prosecution did not present compelling evidences pinning him to alleged crimes.
Prince Kid had been incarcerated in Nyarugenge Prison located in Mageragere since 16th May 2022 prior to his release.
The Minister commended the significant improvement in the security situation in Cabo Delgado province.
He further hailed the existing cooperation between RSF, Mozambique Armed forces and SAMIM including a recent one dubbed “Operation Volcano IV” which successfully dislodged remnants of Ansar Al Sunna terrorist group in their new hideouts along Messalo River in Muidumbe and Macomia Districts.
The minister who previously served as Mozambique Army Commander during the initial counter terrorism operations with RSF in July 2021 visited a number of former terrorist’s defensive positions including Awasse and Mocimboa da Praia commercial port.