The bus, carrying Sudanese citizens fleeing the war-torn country, overturned on its way to Cairo, according to a statement by Beni Suef governorate.
Beni Suef Governor Mohamad Hany Ghoneim visited the hospital and called for all necessary healthcare to treat the wounded, said the statement.
Thousands of Sudanese citizens have crossed into neighboring Egypt to flee the ongoing deadly military clashes between the Sudanese army and the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces that erupted in mid-April.
According to the Egyptian office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees, as of May 3, Egypt had received about 50,500 evacuees from Sudan, among them 47,000 Sudanese.
The office said it is cooperating with the Egyptian Red Crescent to provide assistance to the evacuees.
The coronation service lasted about two hours and involved various stages, including recognition, oath, anointing, investiture and crowning, followed by enthronement and homage.
At 12:02 p.m. (1102 GMT), Charles III was formally crowned as the Archbishop of Canterbury Justin Welby placed St Edward’s Crown onto the head of the monarch. The congregation sang a hymn; bells at the historic church rang; trumpets sounded, and gun salutes were fired across the country to mark the moment.
King Charles III, 74, ascended to the throne in September last year following the death of his mother, Queen Elizabeth II.
Queen Camilla was also coronated on Saturday in a much simpler ceremony, as she was anointed and crowned with Queen Mary’s Crown.
King Charles III and Queen Camilla will return to Buckingham Palace in procession after the service at Westminster Abbey, using the same route they took this morning in reverse, with thousands of spectators lining the streets.
The ceremonial events will conclude with the royal couple and members of the royal family watching a large formation fly-past on the balcony of Buckingham Palace in the afternoon.
Brig Gen Magate Ndiaye, the MINUSCA Force Chief of Staff who presided over the medal parade awarding ceremony on 5th May 2023, commended the Rwandan peacekeepers for being professional and making the difference at critical moments.
He also commended the expert handling of sensitive convoys and the numerous sleepless nights often spent in a very hostile operational environment, displaying a great enthusiasm, remarkable team spirit and selfless commitment to the safe delivery of equipment and goods which are vital to the sustainment of MINUSCA contingents.
The RWABAT2 Commander, Lt Col Emmanuel Karemera thanked the MINUSCA leadership for the guidance and friendly forces for good cooperation.
The ceremony was attended by CAR Government officials, the head of Rwanda diplomatic mission in Central African Republic Hon Olivier KAYUMBA, MINUSCA Personnel, local leaders and local population.
The Minister of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation of Rwanda, Dr. Vincent Biruta and the Minister of Foreign Affairs of Maldives who also serves as current President of the 76th UN General Assembly, Abdulla Shahid, signed the Agreement on behalf of Rwanda and Maldives respectively on 05th May 2023.
Basically, the agreement allows holders of Rwandan valid passports to be issued a 30-days free visa on arrival in Maldives, and reciprocally, Maldivians get a 30-days free visa on arrival in Rwanda.
The agreement hence preserves the nationals of Rwanda and Maldives from the hassles of applying for visa prior to traveling to either countries.
It will also strengthen the bilateral ties between Rwanda and Maldives and enable the people to people relations.
Rwanda and Maldives established bilateral relations on 6th September 2019.
Relations grew faster and stronger, and in June 2022, both countries signed five agreements in Kigali, to foster bilateral cooperation.
Rwanda and Maldives are both members of the Commonwealth Organization and support each other on various multilateral levels.
Since the establishment of the diplomatic relations, both countries have strengthened ties through reciprocal high level visits.
The decision was made shortly after Rubavu District was hit by disasters that claimed the lives of 26 residents earlier this week.
IGIHE has learnt that, Kambogo has been accused of dereliction of duties in providing emergency assistance to residents affected by the disasters.
Rwanda’s deputy government spokesperson, Alain Mukuralinda, told reporters on Thursday that 130 deaths have been recorded since flooding began on Tuesday evening.
“There are 77 injuries, with 36 of those individuals currently in the hospital. We also have five people missing,” he said.
Over 5,100 homes have been destroyed and another 2,500 damaged, with residents in need of relocation and shelter.
Prime Minister Édouard Ngirente visited the affected areas in western Rwanda on Thursday, and said search efforts were still underway to recover missing people, adding that the death toll could rise.
The Chairperson of Rubavu District advisory council, Dr. Kabano Habimana Ignace has told IGIHE that disaster management is not the sole reason for the dismissal of Kambogo.
He emphasized that the decision was the result of a series of failures on Kambogo’s part that had been assessed over several days.
Dr. Kabano cited failure to coordinate relevant stakeholders to work together, failure to implement recommendations from his superiors and relentless in responding to citizens’ concerns among other reasons that triggered his removal from duties.
“This issue of disasters is part of a series of faults. One mistake cannot trigger such a decision because the council reaches such a resolution after days of assessment,” noted Dr. Kabano.
The extra-ordinary meeting of the district’s advisory council that fired Kambogo was held on Friday 5th May 2023.
Assessing damages occasioned by disasters in the district was part of the meeting’s agenda.
It is expected that the vice mayor in charge of economic development will take over as acting mayor pending the replacement of Kambogo.
Dr. Kabano disclosed that efforts are underway to support disaster-hot residents where shelters are being constructed through community work.
Kambogo had been elected mayor of Rubavu District in November 2021 with 256 votes.
The Head of State made the disclosure on Friday 5th May 2023 at the at Marlborough House, the Commonwealth Secretariat Headquarters, where he joined King Charles III as well as leaders from across the Commonwealth and Secretary General, Patricia Scotland for the Commonwealth Leaders Meeting.
Kagame who is currently assuming his role as the Chair-in-Office of the Commonwealth since 2022, welcomed the leaders of the two newest Commonwealth countries (Togo and Gabon) and paid tribute to the new Commonwealth Head.
“We appreciate the King’s lifelong devotion to Commonwealth affairs, just as we remember the role of her late Majesty, Queen Elizabeth II, in giving the modern Commonwealth its shape and spirit,” he said.
Kagame further stressed the need to empower young people who account for 60 percent of Commonwealth population.
“Our aim is to work together within the Commonwealth to enhance the potential of our young people. There is more work to do to ensure the Commonwealth becomes more relevant and responsive to our people’s needs. This is especially fitting, as 2023 is the Commonwealth Year of Youth,” noted the President.
The meeting was held ahead of the coronation of King Charles III slated for Saturday 6th May 2023.
The Commonwealth is a voluntary association of 56 independent and equal sovereign states.
Its combined population is 2.5 billion, of which more than 60 per cent is aged 29 or under. The Commonwealth Secretariat supports member countries to build democratic and inclusive institutions, strengthen governance and promote justice and human rights.
Commonwealth’s work helps to grow economies and boost trade, deliver national resilience, empower young people, and address threats such as climate change, debt, and inequality.
The Government of Rwanda has announced that floods and landslides occasioned by heavy rain in the night of Tuesday 3rd May 32023 have claimed 130 lives while 5 people went missing.
The disasters that hit Western, Northern and Southern Provinces also left 77 people injured of whom 36 were hospitalized.
The deaths were registered in the districts of Rubavu (26), Rutsiro (27), Karongi (16), Ngororero (23), Nyabihu (18), Musanze (5), Gakenke (2), Nyamagabe (2), Burera (8), and Gicumbi (3).
Among others; the disasters destroyed over 5100 houses and ravaged 17 roads.
Out of the 5,174 houses that were destroyed; 3,371 are from Rubavu district.
It is reported that more 2,510 houses were severely damaged and may collapse soon.
Apart from residential properties, the disasters also affected several infrastructures, including eight national highways, nine roads at district level, 26 bridges, six water treatment plants, and some medical facilities such as the Shyira Hospital, five health centers, and two health posts.
In response, Pope Francis sent his condolences to those affected in a telegram addressed to the Apostolic Nuncio to Rwanda, Archbishop Arnaldo Catalan.
On Thursday, Pope said he was “deeply saddened to learn of the loss of life and destruction caused by the recent flooding in the western and northern provinces of Rwanda.”
Pope Francis also expressed his “spiritual closeness with all those suffering in the wake of this disaster.”
He also offered his “assurance of prayers for the dead, injured, and displaced, as well as those engaged in recovery efforts.”
The Pope wrapped up his telegram by extending his Apostolic Blessing upon all the people of Rwanda.
Prime Minister Édouard Ngirente visited the affected areas in western Rwanda on Thursday, and said search efforts were still underway to recover missing people, adding that the death toll could rise.
The King has described the Commonwealth as a ‘cornerstone’ of his life, expressing his unwavering support for the values, people and countries of the Commonwealth.
At their Heads of Government Meeting in 2018, Commonwealth Leaders decided that he would succeed Queen Elizabeth II as Head of the Commonwealth, and he acceded to the role upon her death in September 2022.
During Friday’s meeting, the King greeted the leaders warmly and posed with them for a commemorative family photograph. Later that day, leaders also attended a reception at Buckingham Palace hosted by the King.
Commenting on the development, Commonwealth Secretary-General, Patricia Scotland KC, said: “I can think of no stronger signal of His Majesty’s deep connection to our Family of Nations than taking time to meet with Commonwealth Leaders at Marlborough House ahead of his Coronation. Earlier this year, the King highlighted the Commonwealth’s ‘near-boundless potential as a force for good.”
In the meeting, leaders reaffirmed their unwavering and unified commitment to the continued strengthening of Commonwealth family and assuring its future by investing in the 1.5 billion young people across 56 nations.
The Secretary-General observed that the Commonwealth is growing in size, scale and influence, especially as the event also welcomed the leaders of Togo and Gabon, who attended their first meeting of Commonwealth Leaders.
The President of Rwanda, Paul Kagame, in his role as Chair-in-Office of the Commonwealth, also addressed the meeting.
He welcomed the leaders of the two newest Commonwealth countries and paid tribute to the new Commonwealth Head.
President Kagame also said, “We appreciate the King’s lifelong devotion to Commonwealth affairs, just as we remember the role of her late Majesty, Queen Elizabeth II, in giving the modern Commonwealth its shape and spirit.”
Tuimalealiifano Va’aleto’a Sualauvi II, the Head of State of Samoa also attended the event as the incoming Commonwealth Chair-in-Office. In 2024, Samoa will succeed Rwanda as chair at the 27th Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting (CHOGM) in Apia, the capital city.
Alongside the Leaders Meeting, the Commonwealth Secretariat also hosted a gathering of the spouses, partners and the invited guests of Commonwealth Heads of Government.
The event, which was hosted by Mrs Jeannette Kagame, the First Lady of Rwanda, focused on the action needed to accelerate the elimination of cervical cancer and tackle challenges impeding progress towards this goal across the Commonwealth.
The spouses and partners in attendance pledged to champion advocacy and action in their respective countries.
The year also marks the tenth anniversary of the signing of the Commonwealth Charter, which reaffirms the values and principles of the Commonwealth as well as its aspirations. As well as being designated the Year of the Youth, 2023 is also being marked as the Commonwealth Year of Peace.
The Commonwealth is a voluntary association of 56 independent and equal sovereign states.
Its combined population is 2.5 billion, of which more than 60 per cent is aged 29 or under. The Commonwealth Secretariat supports member countries to build democratic and inclusive institutions, strengthen governance and promote justice and human rights.
Commonwealth’s work helps to grow economies and boost trade, deliver national resilience, empower young people, and address threats such as climate change, debt, and inequality.
Peter Van der Auweraert, humanitarian coordinator ad interim in South Sudan, said more than 32,500 people, mostly South Sudanese nationals, have crossed into South Sudan since the outbreak of conflict in neighboring Sudan on April 15.
“The majority of those arriving, often with no belongings and very traumatized, are in dire need of immediate humanitarian assistance, including medical and psychosocial support, and transportation to their destination,” Auweraert said in a joint statement issued by UN and humanitarian agencies in Juba, the capital of South Sudan.
The statement says 39.9 million dollars of the total funding required will go to assist returning South Sudanese at the border as they move onward to their communities, while 53.9 million dollars will be used to provide basic services to refugees in designated camps for six months.
In addition, it notes that a further 2.2 million dollars is required to support third-country nationals with transportation assistance to their countries of origin.
Auweraert said the money that they are appealing for under the emergency response plan (ERP) will help speed up the provision of rapid assistance to those arriving.
He also noted that the funds will support the efforts of the government of South Sudan to help people move from the border as quickly as possible to avoid people remaining in hard-to-reach and possibly unsafe areas.
The UN agencies said the real number of daily arrivals into South Sudan could likely be higher as some people entered the country without registration.
The statement says daily arrivals are estimated to be around 3,500 individuals, of whom more than 90 percent of those arriving at the Joda border crossing point in Upper Nile State are South Sudanese who have spent days on the road from Khartoum, the capital of Sudan.
The other nationals include Sudanese seeking asylum, Eritrean refugees, Kenyan and Somali migrants, and other third-country nationals.
“A potential 180,000 South Sudanese are likely to return in the next three months, and 10,000 third-country nationals are expected to transit through South Sudan, while 60,000 refugees are expected to arrive in the next six months if the conflict and tensions persist,” the statement says.
Auweraert said people are arriving at border areas that are extremely difficult to access, often in areas where the few existing roads are likely to flood when the rains start in the coming days.
“If we do not act now, there is a high risk that vulnerable families will be stranded in inhospitable border areas for the duration of the rainy season, which will increase their suffering and the costs of providing assistance,” he said.
Auweraert commended the government of South Sudan for continuing to keep their borders open to those fleeing Sudan, and also for the strong and collaborative working relationship with UN system members and partners to provide the necessary assistance and protection, and help people return to their countries of origin.
“We urge that sustainable solutions are found for these people and all those in South Sudan who deserve solutions pathways,” Auweraert said.
The Head of State is in the United Kingdom along with First Lady Jeannette Kagame.
Rwanda’s Presidency has revealed that discussions held on Thursday afternoon revolved around various topics, including the ongoing Migration and Economic Development Partnership, global events as well as further opportunities for bilateral collaboration to increase trade and investment.
As the current Chair-in-Office of the Commonwealth, President Kagame will also attend the Commonwealth Heads of Government Leaders’ Meeting scheduled for Friday, May 5.
King Charles III, who also serves as the head of the Commonwealth, will also attend the meeting.
On the same day, First Lady Jeannette Kagame will take part in the fireside chat titled Inspiring Change: Together for the elimination of cervical cancer in the Commonwealth, as part of the Commonwealth spouses and partners program.
Kagame and First Lady Jeannette Kagame will join other leaders for the coronation of King Charles III taking place on Saturday, May 6, at Westminster Abbey in London.
The King will be crowned alongside Queen Consort Camilla.