The police said so far 133 bodies have been exhumed since the discovery of the mass graves on a piece of land at Shakahola forest in late April.
The police investigators who resumed the search for more mass graves on Tuesday said most of the victims were children who were told by a self-proclaimed pastor Paul Nthenge to starve themselves in order to “meet Jesus.”
The police raided Nthenge’s property in mid-April after receiving a tip-off from members of the public where they found emaciated people. The victims were starving after being informed this was part of the way to go and “meet Jesus.”
Kithure Kindiki, cabinet secretary in the Ministry of Interior and National Administration, said on Tuesday that the exhumation process will be carried out carefully to protect the dignity and privacy of the families of the deceased persons.
He said the search and rescue efforts are ongoing with 65 persons having been rescued from the thickets so far, including two who were evacuated Tuesday morning by the police investigators.
Kenyan President William Ruto who has described the incident as terrorism announced on Friday the formation of a commission of inquiry into the mass deaths.
Al-Burhan made the remarks on Tuesday during phone conversations with Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and Azali Assoumani, president of the Union of the Comoros and chair of the African Union(AU), Sudan’s Foreign Ministry said in a statement.
“Al-Burhan expressed the Sudanese government’s openness to any initiative that would help relieve the Sudanese people of the atrocities committed by the rebel Rapid Support Forces (RSF),” it said.
According to the statement, Assoumani underlined the importance of maintaining stability in Sudan and supporting the ongoing talks in the Saudi city of Jeddah to stop the fighting and facilitate the delivery of humanitarian aid.
Assoumani was quoted as saying that he would send a special envoy to Jeddah to help reach an agreement to end the conflict and restore stability in Sudan.
While expressing his concern over the increasing number of fatalities and injuries in the conflict between the Sudanese army and the paramilitary RSF, Erdogan offered to host peace talks, his office said in a statement.
Türkiye is “ready to host the talks if they decide to start comprehensive negotiations,” the statement quoted Erdogan as saying. Ankara will continue its contact with the United Nations to ensure that the urgent humanitarian needs of the Sudanese people are met, Erdogan added.
Erdogan also discussed with Al-Burhan the evacuation and safety of Turkish citizens in Sudan, the statement said.
Sudan has been witnessing deadly armed clashes between the Sudanese army and the RSF in the capital city of Khartoum and other areas since April 15, with the two sides accusing each other of initiating the conflict.
According to UN statistics, thousands of Sudanese citizens have been displaced or forced to seek refuge in safe areas in Sudan and neighboring countries, including Egypt, Ethiopia and Chad.
So far, the deadly clashes have left at least 550 people dead and 4,926 others wounded, according to the Sudanese health ministry.
According to Assistant Commissioner of Police (ACP) Gerald Mpayimana, the Commissioner for Traffic and Road Safety department, more than 400 motorcycles have been impounded over the past one month, the majority in City of Kigali.
“We have witnessed a rise in cases of taxi-moto operators, who modify or conceal their number plates so as to avoid being detected either by Police officers, speed enforcement cameras or by the public when in any traffic violations or unlawful acts.
Since the beginning of April, we have impounded over 400 motorcycles in City of Kigali with stealth or altered number plates,” ACP Mpayimana said.
Some of the motorcyclists use wires to flip up number plates to prevent being picked by speed enforcement cameras.
Others alter or modified them, with others scrubbing them to make them invisible.
“Some of the motorcyclists had accumulated traffic fines due to over speeding or having no insurance and hiding plate numbers was a way to avoid being detected. Others use such motorcycles in illegal acts like drug trafficking, smuggling, transporting stolen items and snatching people’s valuables,” ACP Mpayimana said.
When they hide plate numbers, he observed, motorcyclists feel that they can wander in their illegal practices without anyone identifying them.
“These are continuous operations against motorists, who hide plate numbers. If your plate numbers are invisible, you are advised to go to Rwanda Revenue Authority to get new ones.”
Article 276 of the law determining offences and penalties in general states that any person, who in any manner, forges or alters documents by forged signature or fingerprint, falsifying documents or signatures or impersonation, forging agreements, its provisions, obligations, or discharged obligations, commits an offence.
Upon conviction, he/she is liable to imprisonment for a term of not less than five years but not more than seven years and a fine of not less than Frw3 million and not more than Frw5 million or only one of these penalties.
English-speaking regions of Cameroon have been experiencing a conflict for nearly seven years. It is a political and security crisis between armed separatist groups seeking the independence of the self-proclaimed state of Ambazonia, composed of the northwest and southwest regions, and the Cameroonian security forces. The protests since 2016 against English discrimination policies were violently suppressed, leading to the beginning of the English-speaking separatist movement. Since then, there have been violent incidents resulting in the deaths of around 6,000 people and major humanitarian crises, with nearly 600,000 people becoming internally displaced persons in English-speaking and nearby areas.
During the event, the student council president of the Law and Political Science Department at Buéa University, Kang Blaze Moua, stated, “In the year 1884, Cameroon was annexed by Germany. In 1916, as Germany was defeated in Cameroon by the Allied forces with Britain and France, the territory was then to be divided by France taking 4/5(East Cameroon/French Cameroon) and Britain taking 1/5(West Cameroon/British Cameroons) of the territory. All these Colonial arrangements were constantly done without the concern and approval of Cameroonians. Today in Cameroon, the English-speaking regions complain of their marginalization from the dominant Francophone led government.”
“There have been various arguments between different factions in tensions that began in 2016 in the English-speaking regions of Cameroon, such as the government, secessionist groups, federalist groups, unionist et al on what was the main reason for conflict and the way forward in achieving sustainable peace,” he added. And he emphasized need to redress government strategy like the call for another major national dialogue and assistance from some peace organizations around the world.
At the event, civic leaders in Cameroon shared ways to achieve peaceful coexistence and end the current conflict, which hinders national development and causes serious human rights violations. HWPL stressed the need for law and institutions; a peace education system, a platform for understanding and coexistence, and the DPCW, which emphasizes peacebuilding, to establish peace.
President of Heritage Higher Institute of Peace and Development Studies, Wilibroad Dze Ngwa shared “It would be important to tackle the conflicts and peace education in Cameroon in holistic manner. Peace education is being taught in some schools in Cameroon. I actually insist that it will be good to establish clubs in different school in order to carry on peace and effective citizenship education. If we multiply this webinar, our context and our strategies, peace would reign in all the corners of Cameroon and the world. Because each of us are supposed to be active factors of peace education.”
HWPL said it will continue to discuss specific action plans with local experts to make the opinions shared in this webinar achievable in Cameroon plan to Peace Walk event with citizens of Cameroon in May.
He was speaking at a commemoration event to honour victims of Genocide against the Tutsi organized by Rwandans living in Poland.
The event held in Warsaw on Monday 8th May 2023, was also attended by officials from the country members of the diplomatic corps and friends of Rwanda.
In his message, Amb. Shyaka extended solace to all survivors of the Genocide against the Tutsi and commended gathered mourners for their solidarity to join Rwandans during the commemoration event to honour slain victims.
After stopping the Genocide that lasted for 100 days, RPF Inkotanyi under the visionary leadership of President Paul Kagame has promoted unity and reconciliation and built a prosperous nation from ashes.
“29 years have passed since the Genocide against the Tutsi. In spite of this tragic history, Rwandans have managed to turn the page and move forward from grieving, towards a united and prosperous nation,” stated Amb. Shyaka.
“Today, 70% of the total population of Rwanda is comprised of a youthful generation born after 1994. Almost all of these young compatriots living here in Poland are in this category. They are a privileged and proud generation. They make us confident in a bright future,” he added.
Risen from ashes in 1994, Amb. Shyaka underscored, Rwanda is among the top three United Nations (UN) peace contributing countries globally, one of the safest countries in Africa, fast growing economy, ranked among the best countries to do business among others.
He reminded participants that Genocide against the Tutsi was a product of bad politics noting that Rwanda’s transformation is a product of good politics engendered by a visionary and transformational leadership of President Kagame and the policy of post-genocide government to embrace National Unity and Reconciliation despite the scars left by the Genocide.
“It wasn’t easy but it was imperative. It necessitated leadership and resilience. Rwandans were ready for both. And we still are,” he noted.
Commenting on the essence of remembrance; Amb. Shyaka highlighted it is a profound duty to keep the eternal flame of loved ones glowing for the next generations and preserve memory for the meaning of ‘Never Again’.
“As people, we Unite to restore our dignity and take our destiny in our hands as one people, built on Ndi Umunyarwanda [I am Rwandan] to deconstruct the root causes of Genocide. We Renew to ensure prosperity and security for our country, our people and our future generations,” he noted.
“Rwanda’s commitment to remembrance is imperative. Our determination for Unity is unshakeable and our resolve for Renewal and Dignity- AGACIRO- is unstoppable,” added Amb. Shyaka.
As he said, Rwanda has about a 1000 arrest and indictments warrants issued against perpetrators of the Genocide against the Tutsi, where majority of the fugitives are still at large in capitals in Europe, Africa and America.
Amb. Shyaka commended countries that have taken bold steps to bring Genocide fugitives to justice and urged others to follow the suit.
Polish Deputy Foreign Affairs Minister, Pawel Jablonski said his country also experienced crimes against humanity and expressed solidarity with Rwandans as they commemorate Genocide against the Tutsi for the 29th time.
“We experienced this in our past and we know very well what it means to be the victim of genocide, what it means to rebuild a nation and still the process of reconciliation is ongoing because there is no true reconciliation without compensation and forgiveness,” he said.
“In solidarity with the people of Rwanda, we express gratitude to all those that work relentlessly to ensure that such Genocide never happens again,” added Jablonski.
Also present was Father Stanislaw, a priest recognized as social pact protector (Umurinzi w’Igihango).
Amb. Shyaka commended him for having protected hundreds of people in his parish of Ruhango District during Genocide against the Tutsi and described him as the best ambassador of humanism.
In recent days, strong rainstorms have hit many places in Rwanda, causing heavy casualties and property losses, Xi noted in a message.
On behalf of the Chinese government and people, he mourned the dead and extended sincere sympathies to the bereaved families, the injured and the affected people.
The President also voiced confidence that Rwanda will surely overcome the difficulties and rebuild the homeland.
Weather related disasters that hit Rwanda earlier last week have displaced more than 9,000 people in different provinces of the country while about 5,598 families were displaced and are hosted at different sites.
At least 131 people were killed and 94 others injured when flooding and landslides triggered by heavy rains hit Western, Northern and Southern provinces of Rwanda on Tuesday and Wednesday.
Among others; more than 5,550 houses, 14 roads and more than 50 schools were destroyed and the disasters also destroyed crops, water and power infrastructures.
Last week, the Minister of Infrastructure Ernest Nsabimana said the government needs about 110 billion Rwandan francs (about 98.3 million U.S. dollars) to rebuild infrastructure damaged by the disasters in the country.
The government has appealed to residents living in high risk zones to relocate to safe areas.
He was arrested last month in Bujumbura, on the eve of his 51st birthday.
Witnesses have told AFP that Bunyoni appeared in court clad in green prison uniforms and handcuffed. The court extended his pre-trial detention at Ngozi Prison in the north of the country.
Bunyoni, a former police chief and minister of internal security, was replaced by Gervais Ndirakobuca after President Evariste Ndayishimiye took office.
Ndayishimiye had warned of a “coup” plot against him, and Bunyoni was seen as the head of a group of military leaders known as “the generals” who wielded political power in Burundi.
Bunyoni’s charges include undermining the internal security of the state, undermining the proper functioning of the national economy, illegal enrichment, illegal possession of weapons, and insulting the president.
1. The cabinet expressed condolences and sympathy to families who lost loved ones, those injured, and people that had to relocate from their homes due to landslide and floods.
2. The cabinet approved an emergency response plan aimed at reinforcing efforts to provide urgent relief to affected communities and instructed concerned institutions to implement the plan without delay.
3. The cabinet urges communities in flood-affected areas to exercise caution and be extra vigilant as more rains may be expected in the coming days. Citizens are requested to follow instructions provided by local authorities including maintaining hygiene and sanitation standards in order to prevent potential disease outbreaks.
4. The cabinet appreciated messages of condolences and solidarity from Rwandans, friends, and partner states, as well as gestures of support from citizens and various partners.
5. The cabinet approved the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Policy.
{{6. The cabinet approved the following draft laws: }}
-* Draft law approving ratification of the Credit Agreement between the Instituto Credito Oficial and the Republic of Rwanda, relating to the credit for Kayonza Irrigation and Integrated Watershed Management Phase II.
-* Draft law approving a ratification of the Financing Agreement between the Republic of Rwanda and the International Development Association, relating to the credit for the Stunting Prevention and reduction Project.
-* Draft law approving a ratification of the Agreement between the Republic of Rwanda and the International Development Association acting as Administrator of the Multi-Donor Trust Fund for Scaling Up Nutrition and the Early Learning Multi-Donor Trust Fund, relating to the Stunting Prevention and Reduction project.
-* Draft law approving a ratification of the Agreement between the Republic of Rwanda and the Republic of Benin for Double Taxation Avoidance.
-* Draft law approving a ratification of the Agreement between the Republic of Rwanda and the Czech Republic Double Taxation Avoidance.
“The secretary-general reiterates the need for parties to protect and respect humanitarian workers and facilities, including hospitals,” Farhan Haq, deputy spokesperson for Guterres, said in a statement.
“Civilians and civilian infrastructure must be protected in order to save lives,” he added.
In the statement, Haq noted that the looting of the WFP compound was the latest violation of humanitarian facilities since the start of the crisis in Sudan, which is in its fourth week.
Most, if not all, UN agencies and its humanitarian partners have been impacted by large-scale looting, said Haq.
Museveni in a statement directed the State House Comptroller to give 5 million Ugandan shillings (about 1,338 U.S. dollars) to each of the families who lost loved ones and 1 million shillings to those who were injured in the three districts in the Kigezi region, and Ntoroko district Tuesday and Wednesday.
At least 23 people were killed and 16 others injured after torrential rains triggered landslides swept through several villages in Kisoro, Rubanda, Rukiga, and Ntoroko, according to the president.
“Those losses of life reemphasize the need to observe the environmental requirements strictly,” said Museveni. “There should be no buildings or gardens 50 meters from river banks, 200 meters from the Lakeshore and no building on hills with a gradient greater than 30 degrees.”
Environmentalists blame the rampant landslides and floods on the felling of trees as people look for land to cultivate in the East African country.
“Forests hold the soil and prevent landslides. The roots of the trees hold the soil. The forests near the river banks and Lakeshores filter the water going into the rivers or lakes, so that they do not silt,” said Museveni.
Uganda last month issued a disaster alert, warning that several parts of the country will face floods, landslides, mudslides, hailstorms, and lightning as the first rain season starts.
According to the Ministry for Relief, Disaster Preparedness and Refugees, parts of eastern, central, western regions and the Lake Victoria basin would experience near-normal to above-normal forms of rainfall up to May.
Heavy rainfall is likely to lead to the destruction of farmland, crops and a surge of water-related diseases such as typhoid, cholera, dysentery and malaria.