The Minister commended the significant improvement in the security situation in Cabo Delgado province.
He further hailed the existing cooperation between RSF, Mozambique Armed forces and SAMIM including a recent one dubbed “Operation Volcano IV” which successfully dislodged remnants of Ansar Al Sunna terrorist group in their new hideouts along Messalo River in Muidumbe and Macomia Districts.
The minister who previously served as Mozambique Army Commander during the initial counter terrorism operations with RSF in July 2021 visited a number of former terrorist’s defensive positions including Awasse and Mocimboa da Praia commercial port.
The Minister of Local Government Jean Claude Musabyimana presided over the pass-out of the 6th DASSO basic training course.
The event was also attended by provincial governors, the Deputy Inspector General of Police (DIGP) in charge of Administration and Personnel, Jeanne Chantal Ujeneza and district mayors.
Minister Musabyimana, who congratulated the new DASSO personnel upon successful completion of the three-month course, reminded them of the administrative and security duties that awaits them.
“We all know the meaning of security and what it requires to sustain it…as a backbone to what the country has achieved, without which there is no development, no governance and people’s wellbeing,” the Minister said.
Thus, he added, any tasks that supplement safety and security are accorded due attention and at any cost.
The Minister reminded the DASSO graduands that their new duties in their respective districts require dedication and commitment while working with the people, in compliance with the law.
He further urged them to keep in mind that security is a wide aspect. “It is not about assault and violence; it is also about ensuring that all children go to school, addressing concerns of the people and providing quality services.”
Minister Musabyimana told the DASSO to add value to poverty alleviation programmes, community sanitation and hygiene, protecting public infrastructure, fighting stunting, illicit drugs, child labour, corruption, and environmental degradation.
In the execution of their new tasks, the Minister said that integrity, commitment, discipline, ethics, team work, and honest will define their professional character and trust by the people.
He pledged the government’s commitment to professionalize the administrative security organ and to further improve the welfare of DASSO personnel.
The PTS Commandant, Commissioner of Police (CP) Robert Niyonshuti said that during the nine weeks, participants covered, among others, duties and responsibilities of DASSO, martial arts, foot drills, skills at arms, First Aid, drills and duties, and community policing.
Throughout the period of the training, he added that the DASSO graduands were dedicated, committed and disciplined adding that they are ready for service.
CP Niyonshuti urged them to maintain the same spirit of patriotism in their new career and to serve the people and the country selflessly.
Two of the suspects identified as Justin Nsabimana, 36, and Jackson Niyonsaba, 33, were arrested on Tuesday, January 3, in Gitima Village of Tyazo Cell in Muhanga Sector following information provided by residents.
The duo was at the time found in possession of 160,000 pieces of plastic bags, concealed in two sacks.
Also arrested is one Jean Damascene
Samvura, 43, a resident of Kagoma Village, Buramba Cell in Gahunga Sector, Burera District, who is said to be the major trafficker and supplier of the polythene bags, mainly in the Northern and Southern provinces.
The fourth member of the same ring identified as Thomas Habanabakize, 35, was also arrested recently with at least 30 pieces of plastic bags.
While speaking to the media in Muhanga District on the separate successful operations, Chief Inspector of Police (CIP) Emmanuel Habiyaremye, the Police spokesperson for the Southern region, said that the arrest of Habanabakize, recently, and good collaboration with the public, unearthed further information on members of the group and how they operate.
“This further led to the arrest of Nsabimana and Niyonsaba in Muhanga and recovered a house in Tyazo Cell, which was being used as store for sacks of plastic bags, and where two sacks containing 160,000 pieces of plastic bags were found and the two suspects arrested at the scene ” said CIP Habiyaremye.
He added that residents has also reported of likely criminal dealings at the same house, which was always closed during the day only opened at night by people carrying suspicious luggage.
“Following the arrest of Nsabimana and Niyonsaba, they named Samvura as the supplier, who also rented the same house in Tyazo to store plastic bags before supplying other traders. Samvura was arrested at another house in Burera, which was his first storage after sneaking the polythene bags into Rwanda from Uganda and where plastic bag packaging boxes were also found,” CIP Habiyaremye explained.
The duo further disclosed that they trafficked the plastic bags from Samvura”s first store in Burera to Muhanga and intended to use other remote routes to deliver them to a trader in Huye District, whom they identified as Edison Twahirwa, yet to be arrested.
Those arrested were handed over to RIB for further investigations.
CIP Habiyaremye, who thanked those who reported the illegal acts, warned of the ill-effects of plastic bags on the environment and cautioned dealers and traders against the unlawful acts.
Manufacturing, use, importation or sale of plastic carry bags and single-use plastic items are prohibited under article 3 of law N° 17/2019 of 10/08/2019 relating to the prohibition of manufacturing, importation, use, and sale of plastic carry bags and single-use plastic items in Rwanda.
In article 10, any person, who imports plastic carry bags and single-use plastic items is liable to the dispossession of those plastic carry bags and such items, and to an administrative fine equivalent to ten times the value of those plastic carry bags and single-use plastic items.
In article 11, a wholesaler of plastic carry bags and single use plastic items is liable to an administrative fine of Rwf700, 000 and dispossession of those plastic carry bags and such items.
In article 12, a retailer of plastic carry bags and single-use plastic items is liable to an administrative fine of Rwf300,000 and dispossession of those plastic carry bags and such items
The statement banning the products was signed on 30th November 2022 by the Director General of Rwanda FDA, Dr. Emile Bienvenue after an assessment that detected poor standards in companies that produce and distribute the herbal medicines.
The banned drugs include ‘Dawa ya Kupanua Uume’ used to enlarge the pennis and ‘Ngetwa 3’ used to treat various diseases. They are all manufactured in Tanzania.
Rwanda FDA has also banned ‘Delay Spray for Men’, a drug containing Vitamin E that is also used for penis enlargement.
“Apart from being substandard, these drugs can have adverse effects to users. It is under this context that all related advertising activities are prohibited,” reads the statement in part.
Rwanda FDA requested retailers of the drugs to stop buying and return them to suppliers.
Wholesalers have been also urged to register all quantities of returned drugs and provide a report to Rwanda FDA.
All producers, suppliers and retailers of herbal medicines are encouraged to apply for licensing at Rwanda FDA and register their products portfolio before starting operations.
They also consider the situation as Genocide and estimate the number of civilians who lost lives throughout the 26 years of insecurity. Some of them estimate the number of victims to be between six and ten million.
The heated debate was triggered by the resurgence of M23 rebel group towards the end of 2021, which continues to capture different areas in DRC.
Opinion leaders in DR Congo rushed to accuse Rwanda of backing the rebel group, and took the advantage of it to blame the neighboring country for lives lost over the past years based on the fact that Rwanda is among countries that supported AFDL of Laurent Desire Kabila in 1996 to overthrow Mobutu Sese Seko.
Since then, Congolese have been blaming Rwanda for their country’s security problems claiming that it should be held accountable for the deaths of civilians in the country which is home to over 130 armed groups.
In June 2022, DRC’s Representative to the United Nations, Georges Nzongola Ntalaja told the UN Security Council that there is a US agency dubbed ‘Internal Rescue Committee’ which indicated that over six million Congolese died since 1998 due to Rwanda’s invasion.
The report pointed out by Nzongola, focused on civilians who died during conflicts that mired DRC from 1998 to 2007.
However, it did not indicate that the civilians were killed by Rwanda. As it was reported in 2020 by La Liberation, a news medium based in French, the figures were largely disputed over applied methodology.
{{Falsehoods on the numbers of civilians killed in RDC}}
It is no doubt that there is a large number of civilians who died since 1998 under what is considered as the second Congolese war. As of today, consequences of the chaos still lead to the deaths of many in eastern part of DRC through armed groups.
DR Congo registers more than 130 armed groups operating in eastern part of the country. They are either run by Congolese or foreigners and are responsible for killings of civilians in controlled areas.
Even though a large number of civilians lost lives during the unrest, claiming to know the exact number of deaths would be a mistake because DRC itself does not know the precise number of its population.
DR Congo which is among the largest African countries, conducted the latest population census in July 1984 during the leadership of Mobutu Sese Seko.
The figures are still considered today. They are reduced or increased depending on various reasons that do not depict the correct numbers of the country’s population.
The country currently indicates that it is populated by 100 million but does not have records of their particulars.
The country does not have a recognized identity card where people are only identified by voters’ cards which are not released in transparency as they are owned by people from different countries.
The only identity card Congolese have ever owned was issued at the leadership of Mobutu Sese Seko and expired and 1997.
The Congolese National Identification Agency (ONIP) also admits that Congolese do not have identity cards and considers it a serious problem.
It was highlighted in September 2021 by the Director General of ONIP, Ilunga Ntumba Richard who disclosed that it is time for nationals to own identity cards.
“As of today, over 100 million Congolese do not have identity cards […] When there are no organized civil registration processes, a person can mature and die without being noticed,” he said.
It is hard to announce the correct figures given that the country has no reliable records of its population, birth places, dates and parents.
The fact that there is no structured system to keep records of all citizens makes it difficult to establish genuine figures of births and deaths.
Grass root leaders in the country register births and deaths but it is important to note that infrastructures including hospitals are scarce. This reduces the number of women delivering at health facilities where new births can be recorded and puts at risk the lives of many who might die at home over lacking access to health services.
Another issue of concern is how DR Congo can confirm the exact number of civilians killed by over 130 armed groups yet most of them operate in forests and other areas out of government’s control?
In 2008, Belgian researchers, Louis Lohlé-Tart and André Lambert conducted a probe on the number of people who might have died in Congo between 1998 and 2004.
It was carried out on the funding of the European Union. At the time, the researchers reported that the number of civilians who lost lives during clashes does not exceed 200,000.
The incident occurred in the night of Tuesday leading to Wednesday this week. It is suspected that the man killed his sister over resisting his intention to sell a piece of land bequeathed to them by parents.
Sources indicate that the man and accomplices tilled the field in which the sister was buried to conceal evidences.
The executive secretary of Nyamyumba Sector, Eric Murindahabi has confirmed the incident noting that the deceased was aged 47.
“It is suspected that she was killed by her brother over resisting his decision to sell a piece of land inherited from parents,” he said.
It is said that the suspect committed the crime along with three men. They are detained at Nyamyumba Police Station pending further investigations and legal process.
Generally, Police Spokesperson, CP John Bosco Kabera has told IGIHE that Rwandans exhibited good conduct during celebrations of Christmas and New Year.
Of the drunk driving cases, 46 people were arrested on Christmas and Boxing Day while the remaining 41 were arrested on New Year and the following day.
“Four people died in three accidents that happened in the night of New Year’s feast and the following day while five more accidents left five people injured. On the other hand, there was nothing unusual on Christmas and the following day,” he said.
CP Kabera also disclosed that some people consumed substances that led to assault in in different parts of the country during festive seasons.
He however commended Rwandans in general for having celebrated end of year festivities in calm and urged them to continue abiding by laws in 2023.
The allegations are additional to others raised by DRC over the past months accusing Rwanda of supporting M23 rebel group, stealing minerals and chimpanzees among others.
During a recent security meeting in Northern Kivu Province led by the Military Governor Lt Gen Constant Ndima, participants raised concerns that Rwanda is manipulating Tutsis in Congo to flee their country.
The meeting held on 2nd January 2023, was also wrapped up with different resolutions.
As he read the resolutions, the region’s military spokesperson, L.Col Guillaume Ndjike Kaiko said: “The committee learned about mass fleeing of citizens to Rwanda, majority of whom being from Congolese Tutsi communities. It was observed that the latter is a result of Rwanda’s manipulation to have them accommodated in camps under the cover of violence by other ethnicities, to justify the presence of Rwandan troops on Congolese territory.”
Rwanda has repeatedly refuted the DR Congo’s allegations as false saying that the country does it to distract the world from its failure to restore peace.
Tutsi communities in DRC have been subjected to violence and killings on accusations of being allies of M23.
The violence was denounced by the United Nations which also warned of Genocide.
Rwanda accommodates over 70,000 Congolese refugees including those who arrived more than 26 years ago.
Valens Hagenimana, 23, and Janvier Niyotwagira, 22, were arrested in Kirwa Village, Bugamba Cell in Kinyababa Sector with 35 metres of electricity cables, which they allegedly cut from different households.
The wires were connecting homes to the national grid.
Superintendent of Police (SP) Alex Ndayisenga, the Northern Region Political and Civic Education Officer (RPCEO), said that the acts caused power outage in some parts of Kirwa Village .
“Residents had complained about unknown people, who cut and steal electricity wires, especially at night, putting their homes in darkness; Hagenimana and Niyotwagira were the prime suspects.
Police officers went and searched their homes in Kirwa Village, where sacks containing electricity wires allegedly cut from homes, were found and the two suspects arrested,” SP Ndayisenga said.
The suspects, who were handed over to RIB at Butaro station for further investigations, were selling the wires as scraps.
SP Ndayisenga warned against vandalizing public infrastructure and urged the public to report those who destroy them.
Article 182 of the law determining offences and penalties states that any person who maliciously demolishes or damages in any way, in whole or in part of construction, building, bridge, dams, water pipes and their routes, railway rails or any other means of communication or electric power infrastructure, wells or any other constructions which do not belong to him/her, commits an offence.
Upon conviction, he/she is liable to imprisonment for a term of not less than three years and not more than five years with a fine of not less than Frw3 million and not more than Frw5 million.
We used to see the meme: “New Year, New Me” and now the most we get to see is a prayer from a friend asking our Father in Heaven to protect and keep us happy in this new year.
But even with fear, there is still a ray of hope that things will get better, represented by a new year.
People who start their goals on the first day of the week, Monday are most likely to achieve them. And what’s more Monday-ish than the first day of a New Year?
Have you ever felt the energy of a new year start to come from the core of your being? It’s almost like a birthday.
So if you ever feel like a kid on Christmas Eve, never lose sight of that feeling because it will be your fuel to keep pushing towards success in the future.
But even then, it is essential not to get too ahead of yourself. Often, we set out expectations of resplendence and end up with disappointment.
This is like expecting a beautiful sweater as your birthday gift and getting a knitting kit instead.
Both are presents, but they will not give you the same level of excitement.
Similarly, a new year doesn’t mean that you will be able to transform yourself in an instant. Success takes time and effort, so don’t expect too much from yourself all at once!
After all, it is only the beginning of the year. There is no guarantee that things will go perfectly.
But as long as you keep a positive outlook and stay mentally excited for the New Year, you’re on the right track to success.