Rwanda’s Presidency, has revealed that both leaders discussed the security situation in the Horn of Africa as well as the advancement of bilateral cooperation in areas of mutual interest with a focus on trade.
The meeting followed the 1st Joint Ministerial Commission meeting between Djibouti and Rwanda that took place on the same day.
Earlier on Wednesday, Djibouti’s Minister of Foreign Affairs, and his Rwandan counterpart, Dr. Vincent Biruta witnessed the signing of bilateral agreements on agriculture, tourism and diplomatic training.
The move followed other agreements signed in 2017, during President Kagame’s state visit to Djibouti.
Speaking at the joint commission, Mahmoudi said that Djibouti and Rwanda share the vision of sustaining for peace and security in their respective regions.
Djibouti offered Rwanda a 20-hectare piece of land at the port of Djibouti in 2013, which the latter plans to develop and operate as a strategic base for its imports and exports on the plot.
In reciprocity, Djibouti was also offered a plot in the Special Economic Zone in Kigali.
In just a few years, Rwanda has become a global tourism hotspot. It is home to the majestic mountain gorillas in the Volcanoes National Park and Big 5 in Akagera National Park. Though the pandemic hit travel hard, the country’s efforts to promote itself as a destination have allowed it to regain the appeal it enjoyed in 2019 and to build on that momentum this year. In 2022, it welcomed more than a million visitors from abroad and brought in almost half a billion dollars in tourism revenues, a figure it is looking to take up to 800 million dollars by 2025.
The creative element of the partnership between Rwanda and the club was symbolised through a special evening of events during the Paris Saint-Germain-Olympique Lyonnais match on 2 April. The “Rwanda Heritage Game” brought Rwandan artists Christopher Muneza and Weya Viatora to the SO/Bar for an outstanding pre-match performance attended by former PSG legend Luis Fernandez.
Commenting on the development, Michaella Rugwizangoga, RDB’s Chief Tourism Officer, said: “There is more to the partnership between Visit Rwanda and Paris Saint-Germain than just promoting Rwanda as a destination. It aims to create synergies in culture, fashion, the arts, and football development, which is very important to us. Paris Saint-Germain provides us with an amazing platform to present the very best of Rwanda to millions of fans around the world. We are delighted to be able continue our partnership and to do even more things together.”
Cynthia Marcou, Sponsorship Director Paris Saint-Germain, added: “In working with Visit Rwanda, Paris Saint-Germain has taken sponsorship to the next level in terms of standards and synergy. Together we have developed extremely creative activations in which our players and ambassadors regularly take part. Such events enhance the image of Rwanda, a forward-looking country, and raise the profile of Rwandan tourism, allowing it to position itself as a global leader.”
Since 2019, the strong ties between Paris Saint-Germain and Visit Rwanda have been brought to life through some outstanding initiatives in a whole host of areas.
Team players such as Sergio Ramos, Keylor Navas, Julian Draxler and Thilo Kehrer and legendary former players of the calibre of Youri Djorkaeff, Rai, Ludovic Giuly and Juan Pablo Sorin have discovered for themselves the treasures that Rwanda has to offer visitors, thanks to the unforgettable trips they have made to the Land of a Thousand Hills.
Since the beginning of the partnership, Visit Rwanda has enjoyed a highly visible presence at the Pare des Princes on matchdays, with its logo also appearing on the men’s team’s training and warm-up kits. Rouge et Bleu fans have also been savouring the finest tea and coffee Rwanda has to offer, served exclusively at the stadium.
The PSG Academy Rwanda opened its doors in the city of Huye in 2020, offering 100%-PSG training sessions to more than 100 children, some of them beneficiaries of the club’s Foundation. Last year, the academy won the PSG Academy World Cup in the boys’ U-13 category where Rwanda was taking part in the annual competition for the first time.
{{About Paris Saint-Germain}}
Paris Saint-Germain was founded in 1970 and celebrated its 50th anniversary in 2020. Since its takeover by OSI in 2011, Paris Saint-Germain has gone on to become one of the world’s top football clubs and sports brands. The club has won 29 trophies in the last 11 years and 47 since its foundation, making it the most successful in France.
It has attracted many great players over the years, including Ronaldinho, Beckham and lbrahimovic, and latterly Messi, Neymar Jr and Mbappe, three of the best players in the world today. The club’s international popularity knows no bounds.
In the last ten years, its community of social media followers has grown from zero to more than 190 million and is now one of the largest in football. A forward-thinking club, Paris Saint Germain added an eSports team to its men’s football, women’s football, handball, and judo teams in 2016. Committed to giving something back to the community, the club has significantly increased funding for its Foundation with the aim of developing far reaching programmes for disadvantaged young people.
{{About Visit Rwanda}}
Visit Rwanda is the tourism-focused arm of the Rwanda Development Board, a government body responsible for fast-tracking Rwanda’s economic development by enabling private sector growth. Visit Rwanda works with local conservation, tourism, and development partners to generate tourism products that benefit inbound tourists, local communities, and wildlife ecosystems.
On Wednesday, May 10, the Deputy Inspector General of Police (DIGP) in charge of Operations, Vincent Sano briefed the two contingents set up to be deployed.
Discipline and professionalism, he emphasized, should not be compromised throughout their tour-of-duty.
Rwanda Formed Police Unit One-Eight (RWAFPU1-8) contingent of 240 officers under the command of Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) Mudathir Twebaze, will replace RWAFPU1-7 in Malakal, Upper Nile State under the UN Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS).
Rwanda Protection Support Unit-Eight (RWAPSU-8) commanded by SSP Gilbert Safari, will replace RWAPSU-7 in Bangui, Central African Republic (CAR).
“You were all selected from different units, trained for this mission on what is expected from each one of you as an individual Police officer and as a contingent.
Basing on your policing career, training and the skills; you are well equiped and ready for the national duty,” DIGP Sano said.
He reminded them that any unprofessional character by one officer also taints the image of an entire unit and the country.
“Know what you stand for as a Rwandan Police officer…as the mirror of your country. You are a professional unit that is up to the peacekeeping task.
Respect the local people, make them feel safe, have a humanitarian heart and support them through human security innovations,” he reiterated.
The Deputy Police Chief emphasized team spirit and supporting each other, respect, engaging in quick impact projects for the wellbeing of the local people, promotion of human rights, force protection, sanitation and hygiene, and maintenance of contingent owned equipment, as key factors for a successful peacekeeping mission.
The Protection Support Unit is one of the four Rwanda Police contingents deployed under MINUSCA.
The Rwanda Formed Police Unit One RWAFPU-1 also of 140 officers, operates in Bangui.
Rwanda FPU-2 is deployed in Kaga Bandoro, more than 300kms from Bangui, while Rwanda FPU-3 of 180 officers operates in Bangassou, about 725 kms South East of the capital.
Rwanda also maintains two contingents in South Sudan. The FPU-3, a female dominated contingent of 160 officers, operates in the capital Juba.
Turahirwa also admitted to being found in possession of cannabis at the time of his arrest, but claimed that it was found in a shirt he hadn’t worn in a long time. He was arrested in April 2023 on charges of drug abuse and forgery.
Rwanda Investigation Bureau (RIB) had confirmed that Turahirwa tested positive for cannabis, which is illegal in Rwanda, following a photo he shared on social media showing a passport labeling him as a feminine person.
Turahirwa claimed that consumption of marijuana is not illegal in Italy, but this defense is not valid in Rwanda.
As for forgery charges, Turahirwa said that the altered copy of the passport he shared was done for “artistic” purposes during the filming of his project “Kwanda Season I.”
He claimed that the copy he shared did not have a passport number and that he never attempted to use it.
Turahirwa apologized for any confusion he caused, stating that he deleted the altered passport when he realized it could be misinterpreted.
He also claimed that removing the passport number and deleting the photo should not be sufficient evidence to incriminate him.
This message was conveyed on Tuesday evening, during the celebration of the 73rd anniversary of Europe Day, which was attended by members of the diplomatic corps to Rwanda, representatives from civil society, and members of the private sector.
Europe Day is a day of reflection on the Schuman Declaration, which was proposed by Robert Schuman, the former French Minister of Foreign Affairs, who advocated for the establishment of the EU.
In his remarks, Amb. Uyarra recalled the disasters that claimed the lives of 131 people and destroyed over 5,000 houses and infrastructures, including schools, roads, power, and water treatment plants.
She offered condolences to the affected families and reiterated the EU’s commitment to provide support to the affected people.
Amb. Uyarra stated that Europe Day is an opportunity to celebrate the solidarity of Europeans, which has been guided by the Schuman Declaration since 1950, to deliver long-lasting peace and prosperity on the continent and beyond.
She also highlighted the cooperation between the EU and Rwanda in various areas, including climate change, environment preservation, peace and security, and fighting against terrorism.
The EU recently agreed to fund the intervention of Rwandan troops in Mozambique to quell terrorists.
Among others, Amb. Uyarra expressed optimism that European investors will continue to contribute to Rwanda’s development, and the first-ever forum bringing together investors from Europe and Rwanda will be held in Kigali in the near future.
She also assured the Rwandan government of the EU’s commitment to help develop the mining sector and continue supporting Rwanda in different programs that aim to bring transformations in various areas, including education, social protection, job creation, agriculture, economy, justice, and unity and reconciliation.
The Minister of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation, Dr. Vincent Biruta, commended the EU for its vibrant cooperation with Rwanda, which continues to expand, and for the achievements recorded by the EU, which give hope that the problems facing the world can be addressed.
He was speaking at a joint press conference in Gaborone with Botswana’s President Mokgweetsi Masisi on May 9th, 2023 where he addressed the mandate of the EACRF.
Tshisekedi warned that if the EACRF’s mission results are unsatisfactory by their June mandate deadline, the force would have to leave the DRC permanently.
The Congolese President cited “operational problems” with the regional force, referring to statements made by EACRF military officials who claimed they were not sent to fight the M23.
While the East African Community is satisfied with the work done by their forces, the DRC has criticized them for not executing their mandate, which they consider offensively based.
Tanzanian President Samia Suhulu Hassan recently reminded the public of the non-offensive nature of the troops, while Ugandan President Yoweri Museveni reiterated that the mission of his country’s contingent was to enforce agreed-upon regional agreements, not to do the DRC’s job.
Kenya’s Foreign Minister, during a visit to Kinshasa, reminded everyone of the mandate’s nature as a “buffer force,” led by Major General Alphaxard Kiugu.
As the M23 rebels gradually withdraw from strategic locations, the regional force’s military continues to play a crucial role in maintaining peace and security in the region.
However, tensions remain high between the DRC and the EAC, and a gradual and voluntary withdrawal of the M23, where the soldiers of the regional force continue to play a crucial arbitration role, appears to be a sustainable but unachievable option.
The regional force military serves as a reliable and trustworthy force in an area where abuses are also committed by the Congolese government’s security forces.
The conference is being organised by the Commonwealth Secretariat in partnership with the Seychelles Anti-Corruption Commission.
The Secretary-General will host a roundtable with anti-corruption heads prior to the conference, where she is the special guest of honour.
The conference is a focal point for the Association of Anti-Corruption Agencies in Commonwealth Africa (set up by the Commonwealth Secretariat in 2011) to meet, discuss and formulate actions to collaboratively tackle systemic corruption and the illicit flow of funds out of the continent.
The Secretary-General said: “It a pleasure to once again be visiting the Seychelles.
“Corruption continues to be a key challenge across the African continent. Nations are suffering heavy losses as the result of illicit financial flows linked to the proceeds of corruption and crime.
“It is clear corruption poses a significant roadblock to societies – one that undermines social and economic development and impedes progress towards the UN sustainable development goals.
“We are supporting all our member states, in Africa and across the Commonwealth, to improve transparency and accountability, and build institutions and systems which are resilient to corruption. Our conference in the Seychelles is a fantastic opportunity to unite Commonwealth Africa in the fight against corruption.”
According to the UN, corruption costs the global economy $3.6 trillion each year. Over the last 50 years, it is estimated that Africa has lost more than $1 trillion to corruption, equivalent to all the official development assistance received during the same period.
Dr Roger Koranteng, Head of Public Sector Governance, Commonwealth Secretariat said: “This conference provides an opportunity for Heads of Anti-Corruption Agencies to collaborate and advance progress towards strengthening anti-corruption institutions across Commonwealth Africa to achieve SDG 16.”
The theme of this year’s event is: ‘Uniting Commonwealth Africa in the Fight against Corruption’.
The previous conference was held in Rwanda last year.
Scotland has been invited to the event by May de Silva, head of the Seychelles’ Anti-Corruption Commission, on behalf of the President of the Seychelles, Wavel Ramkalawan.
She will be in the Seychelles from 12th to 15th May 2023.
According to the communique, the extraordinary cabinet meeting that was chaired by President Paul Kagame to discuss the government’s response following the recent floods and landslides that affected parts of Western, Northern and Southern provinces has instructed concerned institutions to implement the plan without delay.
Communities in flood-affected areas have been urged to exercise caution and be extra vigilant, as more rains may be expected in the coming days, it warned, while requesting citizens to follow instructions provided by local authorities including maintaining hygiene and sanitation standards in order to prevent potential disease outbreaks.
The cabinet expressed condolences and sympathy to families who lost loved ones, those injured, and people that had to relocate from their homes due to floods and landslides.
According to the communique, the cabinet also approved the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Policy which seeks to strengthen the legal and institutional framework for the management of disasters and for building the capacity for disaster management at all levels.
Weather-related disasters that hit Rwanda last week have killed at least 131 people in Western, Northern and Southern provinces of Rwanda and displaced more than 9,000 people, according to figures from the Ministry in charge of Emergency Management (MINEMA).
At least 94 others have been injured and more than 5,550 houses, 14 roads and over 50 schools were destroyed and the disasters also destroyed crops, water and power infrastructures.
The Government of Rwandan needs about Rwf110 billion (about 98.3 million U.S. dollars) to rebuild infrastructure damaged by last week’s disasters as a result of heavy rains across the country, according to the Ministry of Infrastructure.
Maimunah Mohd Sharif, executive director of the UN-Habitat, said as urbanization accelerates in Africa, policymakers should prioritize revamping cities’ infrastructure to help cope with population pressure and climatic stresses.
According to Sharif, African cities are the new epicenters of innovation, talent, and economic vitality, hence the need to enact legislation to ensure they are safe, habitable, and resilient to natural disasters.
She said the second session of the United Nations Habitat Assembly, slated for June 5 to 9 in the Kenyan capital of Nairobi, will present an opportunity for African countries to revitalize their urban agenda.
Held after every four-year cycle, the assembly is the highest decision-making body on urban issues within the UN system and comprises 193 UN member states.
The assembly will be held under the theme of “A sustainable urban future through inclusive and effective multilateralism: achieving the Sustainable Development Goals in times of global crises..”
Sharif noted that African cities have not been spared the negative impact of the global economic slowdown, the COVID-19 pandemic, conflicts, and the climate crisis, stressing that restoring their vibrancy demands policy shift, forward-looking leadership, and leveraging innovations.
Currently, an estimated 40 percent of Africa’s population live in urban areas, while 53 percent live in informal settlements that lack basic amenities, including safe drinking water, sanitation, and health, according to the UN-Habitat.
Oumar Sylla, director of the Regional Office for Africa at the UN-Habitat, said there is an urgency to tackle extreme poverty, pollution, youth unemployment, crime, and proliferation of slums, which is stifling efforts to create resilient cities in the continent.
Sylla called for the creation of a conducive policy and regulatory environment to spur investments in green mobility, affordable shelter, and waste recycling in a bid to accelerate urban renewal in Africa.
In addition, Sylla said leveraging data and innovations, research, capacity building, sharing of best practices, and domestic resource mobilization will be key to renewing African cities.