Chairperson Moussa Faki Mahamat was in Rwanda to participate in the National Security Symposium, a gathering of experts focused on discussing practical solutions to security challenges in Africa.
The symposium, organized by the Rwanda Defence Force Command and Staff College (RDFCSC) in collaboration with the University of Rwanda (UR), commenced on Wednesday.
The ongoing conflict between the Congolese Army (FARDC) and the M23 rebel group is among key security challenges facing the region.
The African Union had assigned Angola as the mediator, but the process has faced setbacks due to the Congolese government’s decision to pursue a military option instead of peaceful dialogues, despite recommendations for the latter.
Before his visit to Rwanda, Moussa Faki Mahamat also attended a summit in Bujumbura, the capital of Burundi, two weeks ago.
The summit aimed to address security problems in the region and emphasized the need to strengthen existing mechanisms to find a lasting solution for peace in eastern Congo.
“Thus, there is a chance, not in words but in deeds, to help ensure global food security,” Russian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Maria Zakharova told a weekly briefing.
“Our fundamental assessment of the 2022 Istanbul agreement has not changed and the discrepancies in its implementation must be corrected as quickly as possible,” she said.
In July 2022, Russia and Ukraine separately signed a document in Istanbul with Türkiye and the United Nations on grain and fertilizer exports from Ukraine and Russia to ensure supplies to global markets amid the Ukraine crisis.
The initial 120-day agreement was extended by another 120 days in November 2022 and then by 60 days in March 2023.
The ceremony to award certificates was held on Tuesday, May 16, at the Prime Minister’s offices in the capital Bangui.
It was also attended by other high profile government and UN officials in CAR.
The recognized unit is part of the Rwanda PSU-7 contingent, which has concluded it’s one year tour-of-duty under the UN Multidimensional Integrated Stabilization Mission in CAR (MINUSCA).
The Prime Minister thanked the government of Rwanda for its “willingness to help Central African Republic in its reconstruction process.”
He appreciated the Rwanda PSU-7 for their dedication and sacrifice to ensure security in CAR and particularly ensuring his safety.
” You have always been there for me over the last 12 months; you have been with me in all my travels. I am grateful to you,” PM Moloua said as he wished them safe return back to their families.
The PSU-7 contingent commander, Chief Superintendent of Police (CSP) Vincent B. Habintwari, thanked the Prime Minister for the support and encouragement to successfully accomplish their mandate.
He also thanked the CAR security forces for the “friendly collaboration.”
“The good collaboration and support facilitated us to accomplish our mission. Thank you,” CSP Habintwari said.
CSP Habintwari was last month named by MINUSCA as the ‘Best Contingent Commander.’
The recognition was attributed to the “good performance based on discipline, availability, commitment and professionalism” that characterized his contingent since its deployment in the mission area on May 20, last year.
MINUSCA defined him as a “very committed and available senior officer, who has been able to maintain order and discipline within his unit.”
The Rwanda Protection Support Unit is largely charged with ensuring protection for high profile government and UN officials, including the Prime Minister, President of National Assembly, Minister of State in charge of Justice, and MINUSCA Head of Police component.
Youssef Izzat al-Mahri, the political advisor to the RSF, said they are willing to implement the cease-fire agreed upon on May 11 with the SAF in the coastal city of Jeddah, Saudi Arabia.
“We welcome South Sudan; we know President Salva Kiir has more understanding of the crisis in Sudan in general, and he has a role to play to stop the war. We welcome the contribution of South Sudan in stopping the fighting and attaining peace in Sudan,” Izzat said during a press conference held in Juba, the capital of South Sudan.
Despite the two warring factions signing the Declaration of Commitment to Protect the Civilians of Sudan to facilitate the delivery of emergency humanitarian aid and guarantee the safe evacuation of civilians, heavy fighting as well as air and artillery bombardment continue in Khartoum, the Sudanese capital.
“We have agreed on a cease-fire to end the conflict that has now taken a month and two days; as RSF, we have to play a role in implementing the signed cease-fire and the beginning of the political process,” Izzat said.
He denied accusations that the RSF was using civilians as human shields in ongoing fierce fighting with the Sudanese military since April 15, adding that the RSF has been protecting foreign embassies and assisting civilians exiting Khartoum.
Izzat called on Abdel Fattah Al-Burhan, the head of the SAF, to respect the cease-fire that was initiated recently by the two sides with mediation from Saudi Arabia and the United States.
Deng Dau Deng, South Sudan’s acting minister of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation, said Wednesday that Kiir called upon both parties to respect the cease-fire deal.
He said Sudan’s neighbors like South Sudan, Egypt, Chad, Ethiopia, the Central African Republic, Eritrea, and Libya are currently grappling with the huge refugee influx across their borders.
“We are the neighboring countries to Sudan, and he (Kiir) talked on their behalf to give this appeal to the representative of the RSF, and also he has been communicating with Chairman of the Sovereignty Council of Sudan Abdel Fattah al-Burhan,” Deng said.
He added that they also discussed the opening of humanitarian corridors, particularly the hospitals and water points.
Sudan has witnessed deadly armed clashes between the SAF and the RSF in Khartoum and other areas since April 15, with the two sides accusing each other of initiating the conflict.
According to the court ruling, Sarkozy will only need to serve one year of house arrest with an electronic bracelet, and his civil rights will be deprived for three years.
Right after the ruling, Sarkozy’s legal team announced that they would continue to appeal at the highest court.
Sarkozy served as French President from 2007 to 2012. He was sentenced in March 2021 to three years in prison for corruption and influence peddling. It was the first time that a former president has been convicted of corruption and sentenced to prison in France.
He was convicted of attempting to bribe, through his then-lawyer, a magistrate with a job offer in Monaco for information about an investigation of his 2007 presidential campaign.
The symposium brought together academicians, government officials, diplomats and subject matter experts including Generals and Senior Military Officers to discuss contemporary security issues with a theme: “Contemporary Security Challenges: The African Perspective”.
In his opening remarks, Minister of Defence Maj Gen Albert Murasira emphasised that over the years, National Security Symposium has widened participants’ understanding and perspectives by listening to diverse views from policy makers, practitioners and scholars.
“This year’s symposium provides an opportunity to discuss complex challenges facing the globe in general and our continent in particular. Such challenges range from building institutions and capacities for good governance; migration; emerging digital technologies; evaluate African initiatives to address some of our perennial challenges; foreign interference and the future of peacekeeping operations.
The complex situation creates uncertainty to the functioning and survival of our nations and no single country can address them solely,” said Maj Gen Murasira.
The symposium discussions will cover a variety of topics ranging from good governance, migration and brain drain, foreign interference, the African Free Trade Area, digital technologies and peacekeeping operations.
Over 300 participants are sharing experience on the subjects above. They include student officers of the Senior Command and Staff Course from Rwanda and allied countries namely Botswana, Ethiopia, Ghana, Kenya, Malawi, Nigeria, Senegal, South Sudan, Tanzania, Uganda and Zambia.
Japan is grateful for joining its celebrations in Rwanda as it holds a great significance and serves as a reminder to consolidate gains achieved together.
In view of the spirit of the day, the joint efforts between the Government of Rwanda and the Government of Japan have gone to avail information which will give positive impact on public life through space collaboration.
Corresponding to emergency request from Rwanda Space Agency (RSA), through Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA), Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA) is supporting RSA for their emergency analysis task for the recent flood’s disaster on 2nd and 3rd May 2023.
JAXA has provided the satellite observation results of flooding around the concerned area from Advanced Land Observation Satellite (2ALOS-2) through The International Charter Space and Major Disasters. RSA’s access to this data in the charter is helping to grasp the fully extent of the disaster damage.
Rwanda and Japan have had a variety of collaboration recent years. In 2019, Rwanda and Japan teamed up to build the first cube satellite (RWASAT-1), which was launched from Japan’s Tanegashima Space Center and deployed to the Low Earth Orbit (LEO) from the International Space Station. From 2019 to 2021, JICA has also contributed to the RSA’s undertaking of drafting the space strategy.
Last April, a delegation led by Col. Francis Ngabo, Chief Executive Officer of RSA visited Japan to discuss about further collaboration with the Government of Japan, JAXA, JICA as well as Japanese Private Companies. Through JICA’s technical cooperation, some officials from RSA are doing master’s courses in different Japanese Universities and attending Training Programs jointly organized by JAXA and JICA.
This year, JICA plans to create new special training programs in Japan, to encourage more satellite technology utilization in public and private activities.
Japan hopes for the steady strengthened collaborations with Rwanda in space and satellite technology, contributing to the wellbeing and prosperity of both nations’ people.
The COP28 which will be hosted by the United Arab Emirates (UAE) at the end of this year is a critical platform that brings together nations, organizations, and stakeholders from around the world to address the challenges of climate change.
As a member of the COP28 President’s Advisory Committee, Dr. Kalibata will contribute to the development and implementation of strategies to mitigate the effects of climate change.
As per communiqué announcing her appointment, Dr. Kalibata will be involved in strategic initiatives, including working groups, task forces, and consultations, to ensure that the voices and needs of farmers and businesses are heard and incorporated into global climate policies.
Commenting on her appointment, Dr. Kalibata said: “I am delighted to join the COP28 President’s Advisory Committee. There is nothing today that is more important than all of us pooling together to contribute to the global effort to combat climate change.”
“Climate change is quickly becoming the most significant challenge facing our planet, and I am committed to working with other partners and stakeholders to address this critical issue. I am committed to share my experience and to collaborate with other members to drive urgent and meaningful action,” she added.
Dr. Kalibata shares the vision for COP28 having herself successfully stewarded the 2021 UN Food Systems Summit to create global awareness for the need to transform Food systems to be more inclusive, deliver better food and reduce environmental foot print.
“This is an opportunity to advancing Food Systems efforts even further globally and here in Africa and I remain desirous of and committed to sustaining the momentum” she said. “The diverse membership to the COP28 Advisory Committee is an opportunity for all of us to continue our efforts to combat climate change and work towards a more sustainable present for us and future for all.”
{{About COP28 }}
The 28th Conference of the Parties (COP28) to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) is the international forum for countries and stakeholders to discuss and collaborate on climate change policies and strategies.
COP28 is scheduled to take place in November 2023, and will be hosted the United Arab Emirates.
Representing Zimbabwe, Foreign Affairs and International Trade Minister Frederick Shava, along with two other cabinet ministers, led the delegation.
Rwanda’s Minister of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation, Dr. Vincent Biruta, represented the country during the signing ceremony.
Notably, Dr. Shava emphasized the importance of implementing the agreements and urged both countries to work diligently to ensure their full implementation.
He also acknowledged the strong bilateral relations between Rwanda and Zimbabwe.
Meanwhile, Dr. Biruta highlighted the existing economic partnership as a noteworthy aspect of cooperation between the two nations.
He emphasized the deep-rooted trade relations and the potential for further expansion.
Both countries recognize the urgent need to enhance trade and economic cooperation, aligning with the amicable relations enjoyed by both nations.
Write this essay. Complete this analysis. Unpack the meaning behind this excerpt. These are all sentences that bring horror to those who do homework – lengthy essays about things that students are not sure they care about, and that many do not see the point in doing in the first place.
This homework is not designed to be terrifying; it is designed to ignite the mind and critical thinking; to challenge students to form their own opinions and then using research and cognitive thinking to back them up. Currently, this is being threatened by tools like ChatGPT.
Yet, artificial intelligence (AI) tools are here to stay so instead of seeing it as a threat, it should be seen as an asset, but one that supports cognitive growth and memory function rather than replacing it, says Anna Collard, SVP Content Strategy & Evangelist at KnowBe4 AFRICA.
“Research by George Millar in 1956 found that the average person can only keep around seven items in their working memory,” she explains. “Miller’s Law of seven plus-minus two means up to nine or as little as five items are the limit of a human’s processing abilities. Today, that number has gone down to four. This research, along with other academic papers and analyses, points to reduced memory due to an over reliance on technology also called the Google effect,” explains Collard.
This is a concern, one that has grown increasingly vocal over the past year as educators and researchers have pondered the impact of technology, and now AI, on cognitive behaviour and memory retention.
However, it is also balanced by research that has pointed out that actually, human beings have been outsourcing their memory to various materials and solutions for centuries. Paper, parchment, papyrus and wood are some prime examples. Modern technology is no different. It can be a tool to bolster memory and make it far easier for humans to manage lives that are deluged by information, noise and digital clutter.
“The research goes in both directions, suggesting that technology is both an enabler and an inhibitor of human memory,” says Collard. “This points to the fact that actually, the impact does not lie in using it, but in how it is used or, in the case of ChatGPT, abused. The latter can be an immensely useful tool that supports students in their research and studies, but if it becomes the sole source of information and does all the writing for them, that is where the problems start.”
Nowadays, remembering where you found a fact has become more important than remembering the fact itself. This translates directly into the biggest challenge with ChatGPT – it is vague on its sources and often out of date, which means that it rarely is as accurate as it needs to be.
“ChatGPT uses machine learning to infer information and this introduces inaccuracies,” says Collard. “If you ask ChatGPT what happens if you break a mirror, it replies with ‘You will have seven years of bad luck’. This is not a fact; it is based on superstition. If users do not constantly check the factual accuracy of ChatGPT, they run the risk of sharing fake news, inaccurate information and even conspiracy theories.”
The TruthfulQA benchmark test has found that most generative models are only truthful 25% of the time, according to the 2022 Stanford University Artificial Intelligence Index Report. This means over reliance on technology such as ChatGPT is simply going to make the student’s work look stupid. However, that is not enough to stop people from turning to tech when they are tired, overwhelmed or lazy, which means that the best approach is to embrace it.
“Do not ban it, rather teach students how to use it within practical guidelines and policies that help them to enhance their understanding of AI and this type of tool,” concludes Collard. “This will enhance their own critical thinking skills by asking them to question the sources, content, truthfulness and accuracy of the content that the platform serves up to them, and it will turn the threat into an opportunity.”