His removal occurred on May 5th due alleged mismanagement of disaster response during the recent floods and landslides that affected the district on the night of May 2nd to May 3rd, 2023.
The elections are scheduled to take place on August 11th, according to Charles Munyaneza, the executive secretary of the NEC.
He confirmed that all 17 individuals interested in the position have already submitted their candidatures, and the electoral campaign is expected to begin on 26th this month.
“We are first anticipating the election of his successor in the district’s advisory council, and later on, a replacement for the district mayor’s position. 17 contenders have already submitted their candidatures,” stated Munyaneza.
Additionally, the NEC has also announced upcoming elections in other districts, namely Rwamagana and Rutsiro, which are scheduled to occur between August and September 2023.
In Rutsiro district, the head of state dissolved all of the district’s advisory council over administration failures and appointed Prosper Mulindwa as the interim mayor.
Meanwhile, Rwamagana district advisory council suspended Jeanne d’Arc Nyirabihogo from her duties as vice mayor in charge of economic development on 18th July 2023. The suspension came after her involvement in a court case along with Jean Nsabimana, “Dubai.”
According to Jules Ngongo, FARDC’s spokesman in Ituri Province, at least ten children were among the victims. The majority of the victims are family members of the soldier who fired the shots, said the spokesman, adding that a family conflict was the cause of this tragedy.
“As the armies, we are shocked and sympathize with the families after the murder of 13 civilians caused by a soldier of the naval force in Tchomia. Whatever the family problem, he should not act in this way. For us, it is a criminal act. He must answer it before military justice,” said Ngongo.
The military authorities have deployed a commission of inquiry to conduct on-site investigations into this killing.
The ANU recovered 2089 pellets of cannabis from the same house, during the targeted operations.
A 33-year old man suspected to be the rightful owner of the narcotics and major drug dealer, was arrested at the house.
Superintendent of Police (SP) Sylvestre Twajamahoro, the Police spokesperson for the City of Kigali, said that ANU and local authorities searched the house on Friday afternoon following a tip-off from area residents.
“At the time, the suspect had already sold other quantities of cannabis to other dealers, worth Frw263, 400, which was also seized from the house during the operation,” said SP Twajamahoro.
The narcotics were sneaked into Kigali from Rubavu District after they were traffic into Rwanda from the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), according to the suspect.
His arrest came a day after another drug dealer was arrested in Ngororero District with 995 rolls of cannabis.
Anyone convicted for dealing in very severe drugs face an imprisonment of 20 years to life, under article 263 of the law determining offences and penalties in general.
Cannabis, cocaine and heroin are classified as very severe drugs in Rwanda.
This came during a reception marking the 96th anniversary of the founding of the Chinese People’s Liberation Army (PLA) on Friday evening in the Ethiopian capital, Addis Ababa.
The event brought together military representatives of different African countries, senior Ethiopian government officials, members of the diplomatic corps in Ethiopia, as well as representatives of the Chinese societies in Ethiopia.
“Without security and stability there can be no development. As a constructive participant and active contributor to the cause of peace and security in Africa, China has continued to deliver military assistance to the African Union, supporting capacity building of the African Standby Force and jointly working on counter-terrorism,” Guo Baojian, Defense Advisor of Mission of China to the AU, said during the ceremony.
Guo stressed that the PLA is developing into a world-class military, which serves as a strong guarantee for the realization of the Chinese national rejuvenation and also for making greater contributions to world peace.
“China has always been a peace loving nation. Under the guidance of the national defense policy, the PLA always honors its international responsibilities and plays an active role in maintaining world peace,” he said.
Guo said as part of its commitment to international peace, China is the second-largest contributor to the UN peacekeeping budget, and a top contributor of the peacekeepers among the five permanent members of the UN Security Council.
Antonio Lamas Xavier, Chief of Staff of the African Standby Force (ASF), on his part echoed Guo’s comments as he hailed the ever-expanding China-Africa military cooperation and fruitful partnership in promoting peace and security across the African continent.
Xavier, in particular, underscored the growing cooperation and positive outcomes in the peace and security sector following the establishment of the Forum on China-Africa Cooperation (FOCAC).
He stressed that the China-proposed Global Security Initiative (GSI), which aims to eliminate the root causes of conflicts and improve global security governance, is highly welcomed in Africa as it injects positive momentum towards strengthening continental security and development.
Three of the satellites will be used to obtain remote sensing observation data and provide commercial remote sensing services, while the other satellite will be used for satellite communications technology verification.
This was the 479th flight mission of the Long March rocket series.
Upon receiving its modified license that gives effect to the updated Broadband Policy enabling liberalised access to 4G and future technologies, MTN Rwandacell PLC (MTN Rwanda) has upgraded its network to enable its 4G, LTE connectivity, guaranteeing seamless customer experience.
The introduction of 4G technology by MTN Rwanda will provide improved connectivity and faster data speeds, paving the way for improved internet access. With improved connectivity, users will be empowered to access enhanced digital services, multimedia content, and social platforms, while businesses will be empowered to leverage enhanced network capabilities to drive innovation and to expand their digital presence, unlocking new opportunities in various sectors.
Mapula Bodibe, MTN Rwanda Chief Executive Officer expresses her gratitude to the Government of Rwanda saying, “We thank the Government of Rwanda for the continuous support, providing a conducive operating environment that allows us to provide increased connectivity and drive digital inclusion, leaving no one behind. This comes at a time when MTN is celebrating 25 years of operation in Rwanda and we cannot help but reflect on the journey of the telecom industry in Rwanda and how the same vision that brought an innovative mobile network operator into Rwanda for the first time 25 years ago, is now liberalising 4G and future technologies for the benefit of Rwandans. By launching the next generation 4G LTE technology, we are not only investing in the network, but we are also, and most importantly, investing in leading digital solutions for Rwanda’s progress.”
MTN Rwanda has rolled out its new 4G, LTE technology across 80% of its network sites which makes MTN Rwanda the largest and widest provider of 4G technology in Rwanda. In addition to the roll out of its own 4G network, the Company will be investing more than Rwf 26 billion in network infrastructure modernization, as a commitment to provide its customers with the best-in-class network connectivity and digital experience.
Eugen Gakwerere, MTN Rwanda Chief Technical Officer also commented on MTN Rwanda’s 4G launch stating, “MTN Rwanda has rolled out the largest and widest 4G network in the country, which will deliver increased network capacity, increased coverage and guarantee a seamless customer experience. We know that improvements made on infrastructure go hand in hand with customer experience, and we assure our customers that we’ve made certain that they will enjoy a smooth end-to-end experience of our products and services. Today’s roll out promises to deliver an improved quality of service, that is second to none, underlined by our core belief that everyone deserves the benefits of a modern connected life.”
MTN customers subscribed to the MTN 4G service will be happy to know they can use their 4G bundles at the same price as their 3G bundles. There will be no extra charge to customers accessing MTN 4G services, which will ensure that the MTN 4G service is accessible and affordable by all customers.
Customers can also visit their nearest MTN Service Center or Connect shop to swap to an MTN 4G SIM card at no additional cost and enjoy Free Whatsapp for one week. Those without 4G enabled devices can purchase them at affordable daily, weekly, or monthly instalments on Macye Macye by dialling *182*12#.
“MTN’s 4G network will act as a catalyst for Rwanda’s digital transformation and open a new world of possibilities in the digital sphere for individuals, businesses, and communities. We are thrilled to be a part of this milestone and we’re ready to support our customers to achieve their own significant milestones in their lives through our advanced network technology capabilities and affordable service offerings that will enable them to access tools, knowledge, and connections to improve their lives,” concluded Bodibe.
{{About MTN Rwandacell Plc}}
MTN Rwandacell Plc (MTN Rwanda) is the market leader in mobile telecommunications in Rwanda. Since 1998, the telecom has continuously invested in expanding and modernising its network and leading digital solutions for Rwanda’s progress. MTN Rwanda offers various services to subscribers, including innovative propositions such as personalised voice and data offers for individuals and corporates everyone deserves the benefits of a modern connected life.
The visit began on Friday, May 21, with a warm reception at Kanombe International Airport by his Rwandan counterpart, President Paul Kagame. On Sunday, July 23, Mr. Nguesso’s visit came to an end at Kigali International Airport, accompanied by President Kagame and a delegation of senior Rwandan officials.
This visit has left a lasting impact on the relations between the two countries.
During the visit, both countries took a significant step towards enhancing trade and economic cooperation by signing an agreement under the African Continental Free Trade Area (AfCFTA).
The deal, signed on July 22, was presided over by President Kagame and his counterpart Sassou Nguesso, signifying the commitment of both nations to foster regional economic integration.
Throughout his stay, President Nguesso engaged in a series of high-level meetings. He held constructive discussions with President Kagame, delivered a noteworthy speech before the Rwandan Parliament, and attended an official dinner with the Rwandan Head of State.
In recognition of his ongoing efforts for the development of Africa, President Kagame honored Mr. Nguesso with the national Order of Honour.
On Saturday, July 22, Mr. Nguesso had the opportunity to visit the Rwandan Institute for Conservation Agriculture (RICA) located in Bugesera District. Additionally, Kagame gifted Nguesso long-horned cattle known as Inyambo from his farm in Kibugabuga.
So far, bilateral engagements between both countries at different times have resulted in the signing of 33 agreements and a memoranda of understanding.
President Nguesso’s visit marked a new chapter in the relations between Rwanda and Congo-Brazzaville, underscoring their mutual willingness for closer and more fruitful cooperation. Both nations are optimistic that this visit will pave the way for increased collaboration and prosperity in the region.
His visit follows the arrest of Fulgence Kayishema a genocide fugitive who has been on the run for two decades.
Kayishema, who had been one of the world’s most wanted genocide fugitives, was arrested on Wednesday May 24th, 2023, in Paarl, South Africa, as a result of a joint operation involving the IRMCT Office of the Prosecutor (OTP) Fugitive Tracking Team and South African authorities.
He stands accused of orchestrating the massacre of approximately 2,000 Tutsis, including women, men, children, and the elderly, at Nyange Catholic Church during the 1994 Genocide against the Tutsi in Rwanda.
It is alleged that Kayishema directly participated in the planning and execution of this atrocity, including the procurement and distribution of petrol to set the church on fire while the victims were inside.
According to IRMCT, Brammertz is expected to visit Nyange Genocide Memorial, meet with survivors of the 1994 Genocide against the Tutsi, local dignitaries and IBUKA representatives with whom he will discuss the ongoing ‘Kabuga case’ and future trial of Kayishema among others.
Besides, the prosecutor will meet with the Minister of Justice Dr. Emmanuel Ugirashebuja; Minister of National Unity and Civic Engagement, Dr. Jean Damascene Bizimana; Prosecutor General, Aimable Havugiyaremye and the Inspector General of Rwanda National Police (RNP) Commissioner General Felix Namuhoranye to discuss topics related to the strong cooperation between the office of the prosecutor and the government of Rwanda.
The 4G network, which went live on Friday, July 21, allows customers to enjoy high-speed internet whether they are at home, offices, or any other location.
Emmanuel Hamez, the Managing Director of Airtel Rwanda, expressed his excitement about the development, emphasizing that the telecom is committed to providing 4G internet at the same price as its 3G service.
“We are thrilled to announce that World Class 4G tariff plans will come at the same price as customers are currently paying for 3G!” Hamez stated. “This will enable customers to quickly transition to 4G with the simplicity of the similar plans that they are familiar with. As such, all our popular ‘Ubuntu’ packs, which include free minutes and SMS along with data, will now include 4G services. It is simple for the customer to set their handset on LTE mode.”
The decision to offer 4G speeds at 3G prices is aimed at elevating Airtel Rwanda’s product offerings and increasing access to high-quality broadband for customers. Additionally, the telecom anticipates a surge in the adoption of 4G devices as faster internet speeds will no longer be hindered by high costs.
Customers can look forward to a host of benefits with the new 4G network, including streaming high-definition content, enjoying real-time video games, and experiencing reduced buffering during video calls and virtual meetings.
Airtel Rwanda’s mission is to provide an ultra-fast, ultra-reliable network that offers seamless connectivity to homes and businesses. This aligns with the company’s commitment to driving digital inclusivity across more regions of Rwanda.
“The launch of our very own 4G LTE network is a demonstration of our commitment to providing access to affordable quality connectivity services to all Rwandans,” said Hamez. “We would also like to take this opportunity to thank our key stakeholders for creating the enabling environment that made it possible for Airtel Rwanda to offer 4G LTE services to our customers. The company remains committed to leading innovation in the Rwandan market by providing choice to Rwandans because of significant investment in network coverage, consistent network quality, and quality of service in addition to delivery on market-leading value for money.”
The launch of the 4G network aligns with the publication of the national broadband policy in October 2022 by the Ministry of ICT and Innovation. The policy aims to improve service quality, ensure last-mile coverage, drive affordability, and promote innovations in the telecom sector.
Airtel Rwanda is fully committed to developing more innovative products that align with the government’s goals and cater to consumer demands.
Hamez expressed his gratitude to the authorities, particularly RURA (Rwanda Utilities Regulatory Authority) and the Ministry of ICT and Innovation, for their instrumental support in making the 4G LTE launch possible. As part of their commitment, Airtel plans to expand its network to bridge the digital divide and play an important role in Rwanda’s development.
The 4G network launch comes amidst the ongoing campaign “A Reason To Imagine,” which encourages the youth to embrace technology.
In her address, she urged that every girl and woman on the planet should be empowered to attain their full and fundamental right to education, health care, and freedom of choice.
Malala called upon delegates at the conference to demand more from their leaders, donors, and institutions. She emphasized the importance of holding leaders accountable for the commitments they make to girls, ensuring that promises are not abandoned and left unfulfilled.
Sharing her own story of spending two years under the terrorism of the Taliban as a young girl who stood up for girls’ right to education, Malala expressed deep concern about the rising number of children, particularly in Sub-Saharan Africa, who drop out of school. She criticized governments that prioritize debt payments over providing quality education to girls.
Malala also acknowledged that parenting, patriarchy, and climate issues contribute to denying millions of girls their right to education. However, she emphasized that a major cause of this problem is inadequate funding. While conferences like WDC 2023 show progress, Malala pointed out that only a small fraction of international aid goes towards adolescent girls and women, and even then, resources often come with restrictions that limit their impact.
Reflecting on her activism over the past decade, Malala recognized that change requires collective effort. Instead of working individually, stakeholders should unite to build movements for accountability and change, focusing on holding leaders accountable for their commitments.
For the last ten years, Malala has been actively involved in advocating for girls’ education. She has graduated from university, traveled to 31 countries, and established the Malala Fund to support, educate, and amplify girls’ voices.
Throughout her journey, Malala has met countless girls with incredible courage and creativity. She called for a united world that would fund and support the needs of girls, enabling them to lead joyful, violence-free lives, free from burdens caused by adults.