In a statement, the organization representing the interests of mobile network operators worldwide apologized to participants and stated that the event would be rescheduled for a new date in 2025.
“We recognize the inconvenience this may cause to our participants. A new date in 2025 will be announced,” GSMA said.
“Together with the Rwandan Ministry of ICT & Innovation, we look forward to convening Africa’s most influential connectivity event soon,” the organization added.
GSMA did not disclose the reason for postponing the much-awaited conference.
The postponed event is part of the GSMA’s MWC series, which includes flagship events such as MWC Barcelona, MWC Shanghai, and MWC Las Vegas.
The event aims to showcase the region’s advancements in connectivity and technological innovation, particularly in the context of emerging trends like 5G, fintech, and artificial intelligence.
The 2024 edition was set to explore key growth areas such as mobile money and the evolution of Artificial Intelligence (AI).
Last year’s edition welcomed more than 3,400 attendees from over 1,400 companies and featured more than 230 speakers.
The program is designed not only to raise awareness and foster an inclusive work environment across all BK Group subsidiaries but also to provide financial literacy training to people with disabilities.
By combining these two components, the initiative aims to promote both inclusion and economic empowerment for individuals with disabilities.
The training began with BK staff and will soon be extended to all BK Group subsidiaries. Mami F. Said, Head of People and Human Resources Business Enablers & Control Functions, welcomed the participants, emphasizing the importance of creating an inclusive workplace culture.
Ingrid Karangwayire, Executive Secretary of BK Foundation, spoke about the significance of the program: “This initiative is about much more than meeting compliance obligations. It’s about ensuring that every individual, regardless of ability, feels supported and valued. By starting with BK staff and providing financial literacy training to people with disabilities, we are laying the foundation for a truly inclusive society.”
The 20-day training provides BK staff with a comprehensive understanding of disability inclusion, focusing on removing barriers to accessibility and effective communication.
NUDOR experts led interactive exercises that encouraged participants to reflect on personal experiences and explore how they can contribute to creating a more inclusive environment for their peers and customers at large.
The sessions also covered Rwanda’s legal framework on disability rights, ensuring that employees understand their responsibilities in fostering inclusion.
In addition to training staff, the program will empower people with disabilities by offering financial literacy education, equipping them with the knowledge and tools needed for financial independence. This component aligns with BK Foundation’s mission to uplift vulnerable communities and enhance financial inclusion for all.
BK Foundation will continue to roll out the program across all BK Group subsidiaries, ensuring that inclusion becomes a core principle throughout the organization.
A statement issued Wednesday evening by Bayo Onanuga, a senior presidential spokesman, on behalf of Tinubu, described as “devastating” the night inferno in Majiya, a town in the Taura local government area of Jigawa late Tuesday.
According to the statement, the Nigerian leader directed a delegation of senior officials to condole with the families of the deceased, assess the situation at the scene of the incident, and visit scores of injured people in the hospital. He also directed that emergency aid, including medical supplies, food, and shelter, be extended to the victims receiving treatment and others affected by the tanker fire.
While assuring the citizens of the government’s better commitment to the swift and comprehensive review of fuel transportation safety protocols across the country, Tinubu further directed the road safety police to strengthen night travel measures, such as increased patrols, stricter enforcement of safety regulations, and other highway safety mechanisms to prevent recurrences of the incident.
Earlier the police had confirmed at least 90 people killed and 50 others injured following the explosion. The victims were mostly people who had rushed to the scene to collect gasoline after the tanker lost control and overturned, a police spokesman earlier told Xinhua.
A mass burial for the deceased was held Wednesday morning, said Shi’isu Lawan Adam, the spokesman for the police in Jigawa.
They are part of 25 cows, which were reported stolen in Nyagatare, Gatsibo and Kayonza districts between July and September, this year.
About 63 people connected to the theft have been arrested in the same period.
The RNP spokesperson, Assistant Commissioner of Police (ACP) Boniface Rutikanga, said: “Suspects are in four categories; those who steal cows from farms including herdsmen, those who slaughter them, those who transport them and buyers. We have been able to break these chains due to the strong partnership and information sharing with the public.”
He added that increased operations have also led to the arrest of drug traffickers and smugglers.
“Due to these increased operations, drug traffickers and smugglers have resorted to spreading rumours of insecurity and sometimes these gangs attempting to assault people as a way of causing fear so that they do not share information on their cross-border criminal activities.
Some of them have been arrested and the search for other members of the ring is still underway,” ACP Rutikanga said.
The medal pinning ceremony for 180 officers of Rwanda Formed Police Unit Three (RWAFPU 3-2) deployed in Bangassou, was presided over by the UN Police Sector Commander East, Abigail Unaeze.
It was also attended by the CAR Governor-East, Victor Bissekoin, force commander in eastern region, Innocent Masse Noudjoutar, local grassroots leaders and peacekeepers from other contributing countries.
Madam Unaeze thanked the decorated officers for their professionalism and serving with pride and courage.
“These eleven months spent within MINUSCA were certainly intense for you, but we celebrate your sacrifice in overcoming the mission challenges to bring about peace and stability in this country,” Unaeze said.
She added: “I will not ignore your many community and humanitarian actions for the benefit of the population such as blood donation, medicine aid, water distribution to the vulnerable population; these define the mandate of protection of civilians.”
The RWAFPU3-2 Contingent Commander, Chief Superintendent of Police (CSP) Methode Munyaneza, thanked MINUSCA, CAR leadership, local leaders, Bangassou residents as well as other peacekeepers for the support and partnership in accomplishing the mandate.
He also thanked the officers under his command for the discipline and commitment to international service since their deployment in November 2023.
Rwanda maintains four Police contingents under MINUSCA; three Formed Police Units and a Protection Support Unit (PSU).
Rwanda FPU-1 and PSU operate in the capital Bangui while FPU-2 and FPU-3 are deployed in Kaga-Bandoro and Bangassou, respectively.
The PSU is largely charged with ensuring protection for high profile government and UN officials, including the Prime Minister, President of National Assembly, Minister of State in charge of Justice, and MINUSCA Head of Police component, among others.
In an official statement released on the evening of October 16, 2024, the RDF responded to three specific allegations made by journalist Barbara Debout, dismissing them as false.
One claim involved the alleged rape of “Jeanne,” a vegetable and fruit vendor, by a Rwandan peacekeeper at the Bangui base in 2023. The RDF clarified that their peacekeeping bases in CAR do not admit unregistered civilians without official business, making the claim impossible.
Another accusation concerned the alleged rape of “twenty-eight-year-old Grace” in the northern town of Paoua. The RDF emphasized that no Rwandan peacekeepers have ever been deployed in that area, rejecting the claim outright.
The third allegation involved the rape of “two women in Ndassima,” a location 400 kilometers from Bangui. The RDF stated that neither Rwandan bilateral forces nor Rwandan MINUSCA peacekeepers had ever been stationed in Ndassima, making the accusations baseless.
RDF stressed that sexual violence against civilians by peacekeepers is unacceptable and that it takes all accusations against its troops seriously.
However, they maintained that the claims presented by the journalist were fabricated.
RDF also pointed out that, by the author’s own account of comments from displaced civilians in Bria, sexual assaults that had been occuring previously stopped when Rwandan troops were deployed in the area.
Highlighting the discipline and integrity of its peacekeepers, the RDF underscored that Rwandan troops have upheld their mission with respect for local communities and adherence to the core values of civilian protection and the Responsibility to Protect (R2P).
Over the past 20 years, Rwandan peacekeepers have been recognized for their effectiveness and reputation.
“The RDF will continue to support peace and stability in the Central African Republic and wherever else Rwandan peacekeepers are deployed,” the RDF concluded.
The Rwandan troops were deployed to assist the Central African Republic (CAR) when armed groups in the north united to form the rebel group Séléka, which attempted an unsuccessful coup d’état.
Rwandan soldiers have been present in CAR since early 2014. Initially part of the African-led International Support Mission to the Central African Republic (MISCA), the mission later transitioned to the United Nations Multidimensional Integrated Stabilization Mission in the Central African Republic (MINUSCA), which began on April 10, 2014.
Their mandate includes protecting civilians, UN assets, and the President of CAR.
In 2020, Rwanda sent additional troops to the Central African Republic through bilateral agreements between the two countries.
In April 2022, CAR President Prof. Archange Touadéra commended the RDF for its exceptional role in restoring peace and stability, awarding medals to Rwandan troops for their outstanding contributions during challenging times.
The medal award ceremony took place at the office of President, Palais dela Renaissance, in Bangui capital city and was attended by different CAR government officials and the Chief of General Staff of Central African Republic Armed Forces.
Speaking at the farewell ceremony held in the parliamentary building, where he was accompanied by First Lady Jeannette Kagame, President Kagame honored Col (Rtd) Dr. Karemera ‘s legacy.
The event, attended by senior government officials and family members, included a moment of silence in remembrance of the late colonel.
Reflecting on his connection with Col (Rtd) Dr. Karemera, President Kagame recalled knowing him since the 1970s, describing him as one of the first individuals to envision a plan for Rwandans in exile to return home.
Col (Rtd) Dr. Karemera’s commitment to Rwanda was highlighted as a cornerstone in the movement that helped Rwandans in exile, from neighboring countries and beyond, return and rebuild their nation.
“I know him well. He played a significant role and sacrificed himself to the best of his ability, just as he did when working with others,” he remarked.
When the Liberation Struggle began, Col (Rtd) Dr. Karemera stood with other patriotic Rwandans and contributed significantly to the cause.
Even though he is no longer alive, Kagame said, he lived to witness the impact of his sacrifices and efforts for national unity and progress.
The President emphasized Col (Rtd) Dr. Karemera’s dedication, noting that despite external influences attempting to sway him from his mission, he remained steadfast in his commitment to Rwanda’s development.
Kagame expressed gratitude for Col (Rtd) Dr. Karemera’s service, urging those present to not only mourn his death but also celebrate his life and legacy.
Col (Rtd) Dr. Karemera’s brother, Col (Rtd) Kamili Karege, spoke on behalf of the family, providing insights into his life.
He thanked the government for its unwavering support during his brother’s battle with cancer, which he fought for 13 years.
Born on May 20, 1954, in Kayonza District, Col (Rtd) Dr. Karemera fled to Uganda with his family in 1962 where he pursued his primary and secondary education.
He later pursued a degree in human medicine at Makerere University and worked in various hospitals in Kenya before joining the National Resistance Army in Uganda.
In 1990, Col (Rtd) Dr. Karemera joined the Rwandan Patriotic Army (RPA) during the Liberation Struggle, where he led medical services.
Following the end of the 1994 Genocide against the Tutsi, Col (Rtd) Dr. Karemera became Rwanda’s first Minister of Health.
He also served as the Minister of Education, Rwanda’s Ambassador to South Africa, a senator, and a member of the National Elders Advisory Forum prior to [his demise->https://en.igihe.com/news/article/former-minister-col-rtd-dr-joseph-karemera-passes-on].
Julienne Uwacu, Second Vice Chairperson of Unity Club Intwararumuri, praised Col (Rtd) Dr. Karemera’s contributions to national development, stating that his legacy would always be cherished.
His funeral service preceded by a mass at Regina Pacis before he was laid to rest.
Col (Rtd) Dr. Karemera is survived by his wife, Anne Numutali, and their seven children.
The malaria vaccine would be introduced in April 2025 targeting children aged from six months to five years, said the ministry in a statement.
According to the ministry, for every 10 sick people in Uganda, three have malaria, while for every 10 children below five years old admitted to the hospital, six have malaria and may die. Among every 100 pregnant women, 20 suffer malaria and risk losing their babies and even their own lives.
“The introduction of the malaria vaccine will strengthen the government’s efforts in further reducing the incidence and severity of malaria and contribute to overall childhood survival and reduction of infant/child mortality,” the ministry said.
Data from the health ministry showed that malaria kills between 70,000 to 100,000 people in Uganda annually, mostly pregnant mothers and children.
The life-threatening disease is responsible for 30 to 40 percent of outpatient hospital visits, 15 to 20 percent of admissions, and 10 percent of inpatient deaths.
The trial, the first of its kind globally, is being conducted in partnership with the World Health Organization (WHO). It involves testing the safety and efficacy of two treatments: Remdesivir, a drug already used to treat COVID-19, and MBP091, a special antibody designed to fight the Marburg virus.
According to WHO, the trial is the result of two years of work by nearly 200 researchers, developers, Ministry of Health officials, and global partners, including representatives from 17 African countries at risk of filovirus outbreaks, such as Ebola and Marburg.
In addition to the treatments, Rwanda recently rolled out vaccinations for frontline health workers and high-risk individuals.
So far, over 700 vaccine doses have been administered. The first batch of 700 doses, provided by the Sabin Vaccine Institute, arrived just nine days after the outbreak was declared. A second shipment of 1,000 doses followed on October 13, 2024.
Since the outbreak was confirmed late last month, Rwanda has reported 62 cases and 15 deaths from over 4,000 tests conducted. Minister of Health Sabin Nsanzimana has been providing daily updates on the outbreak.
According to the minister, all new confirmed cases have been within the hospital cluster in Kigali and their contacts, and all are under isolation and treatment. There is no evidence of community transmission.
The Marburg virus, which causes hemorrhagic fever, is believed to originate from fruit bats and spreads through close contact with the bodily fluids of infected individuals. Symptoms include fever, chills, headache, muscle aches, rash, chest pain, sore throat, nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, and unexplained bleeding.
To prevent infection, health experts recommend strict hygiene practices, such as frequent handwashing and avoiding contact with personal items or bodily fluids of individuals showing symptoms of Marburg virus disease.
The spokesperson for Traffic and Road Safety, Superintendent of Police (SP) Emmanuel Kayigi, said the operations that started last week, target taxi hires or rental cars that have been turned into public service vehicles, school buses that also conduct public transport and regional buses that operate in town service.
“It has been observed that some transport companies or vehicles operate contrary to their transport authorization license and routes, which affects other transport companies and cause disorder. As a result, Police and RURA are conducting operations to enforce this transport policy. So far, 45 vehicles have been impounded,” SP Kayigi said.
He added that rental cars especially 7-seaters have resorted to town service transport.
He said: “Some buses going to the Eastern Province, for example, load passengers going to Remera or Kabuga from Nyabugogo. When they are coming back, they load people in Kabuga or Remera going to Nyabugogo.
“The same goes for buses from the Southern Province, that opt for town service as they approach Ruliba Clays. Some school buses also conduct public transport when they are not transporting students. This affect companies that are licensed to conduct town service transport.”