The new medication, designed to reduce the risk of HIV infection among individuals, is being tested at two health centers in Kigali: Gikondo and Busanza.
The pilot phase began on January 3 and is expected to last for a year, during which time the effectiveness and acceptance of the treatment will be evaluated. Based on the results, plans for a nationwide rollout may follow.
Dr. Basile Ikuzo, the Director of the HIV Prevention Unit at the Rwanda Biomedical Center (RBC), explained that the injectable form, known as Cabotegravir (CAB-LA), is administered once every two months.
The treatment offers a significant advantage over the daily oral PrEP regimen, providing a more convenient and discreet option for individuals facing adherence challenges.
“This is not for the general population but specifically for high-risk groups such as female sex workers, men who have sex with men (MSM), discordant couples, and adolescent girls and young women,” Dr. Ikuzo told The New Times.
The new injection could also help reduce the stigma often associated with daily oral PrEP, particularly among younger people.
Rwanda has seen notable success in its fight against HIV, with new cases dropping from 10,000 annually a decade ago to around 3,000 today.
Dr. Ikuzo emphasized that expanding prevention methods is crucial to continuing this progress.
“This initiative is part of our broader strategy to ensure everyone at risk has access to the best tools for protection,” he added.
Injectable PrEP, like oral PrEP, will be provided free of charge, and the RBC has already begun efforts to raise awareness about this new option. A larger public education campaign is expected to roll out by the end of June, targeting those most at risk.
Chadian President Mahamat Deby Itno was inside the palace when the attack occurred, but authorities swiftly contained the situation.
During a live broadcast from within the presidential palace, Foreign Affairs Minister Abderaman Koulamallah reassured the public, stating that the situation is completely under control.
The incident coincided with a visit by Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi, who had earlier praised Deby Itno for efforts to reestablish constitutional order.
This attack comes shortly after parliamentary elections intended to restore democracy.
However, the main opposition party boycotted the polls, and analysts suggest the elections may further consolidate Deby Itno’s power.
President Mahamat Déby took over in 2021 following his father’s death during a rebel clash.
He was recently elected to lead Chad in a controversial election, facing allegations of vote-rigging and suppressing opposition voices.
Chad continues to struggle with ongoing violence and terrorism, including threats from extremist groups such as Boko Haram.
This was emphasized during a meeting held on January 7, 2025, which brought together the Ministry of National Unity and Civic Engagement (MINUBUMWE), organizations representing genocide survivors, and local authorities in Nyamagabe District.
Nyamagabe District Mayor Hildebrand Niyomwungeri stressed that achieving complete justice involves concluding cases, apprehending offenders, and ensuring they serve their sentences.
“We have a list of over 200 individuals hiding in different parts of the country, particularly in Nyamagabe. Over the past three weeks, we have already apprehended 62 of them. We will continue these efforts to ensure that by the end of this month, everyone on that list will have been apprehended,” he said.
He stated that Nyamagabe District is determined to arrest those involved in the genocide who remain at large to ensure they face justice.
Patrick Sindikubwabo, President of Ibuka in Nyamagabe District, noted that one of the reasons the perpetrators have evaded capture is the difficulty in identifying them, as many used fake names or committed genocide in areas where they were not permanent residents.
“In the data collection process, we found that some of their real names were unknown. Some were referred to by aliases such as Kibonge, Rudomoro, or Mushi, which made identification challenging,” he explained.
“Some of those being sought relocated to other areas of the country. For instance, someone might have committed genocide in a sector where they worked as a housekeeper or herder, making it difficult to trace them. However, through survivor meetings in Nyamagabe, we have been sharing information and recalling those times, which is yielding positive results.”
Sindikubwabo added that most of those being pursued were sentenced by Gacaca courts to 30 or 25 years in prison, with only a few receiving life sentences.
U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken made the declaration on January 7, 2024, as Sudan continues to grapple with a conflict that has plunged the country into one of the world’s most severe humanitarian crises.
“Based on overwhelming evidence, I have concluded that members of the RSF and allied militias have committed genocide in Sudan,” Blinken stated, citing systematic attacks targeting ethnic groups. The acts include mass murders, rape, and the deliberate prevention of civilians from accessing essential supplies.
The RSF, a paramilitary force led by Mohammad Hamdan Dagalo, also known as Hemedti, along with allied militias, has been accused of ethnic cleansing, crimes against humanity, and war crimes since the conflict erupted in April 2023.
What began as a power struggle between the RSF and the Sudanese Armed Forces (SAF) has had catastrophic consequences for civilians. Over 30 million Sudanese require humanitarian aid, with tens of thousands dead and hundreds of thousands facing famine.
The U.S. Treasury Department has imposed sanctions on Hemedti and seven RSF-affiliated companies based in the United Arab Emirates, citing their roles in acquiring weapons for the RSF.
Additionally, Hemedti has been designated under Section 7031(c) for his involvement in gross human rights violations, including the mass rape of civilians in Darfur. This designation bars Hemedti and his immediate family from entering the United States.
“Hemedti has wantonly ignored international humanitarian law and commitments made in the 2023 Jeddah Declaration and the 2024 Code of Conduct,” Blinken said, referencing agreements aimed at protecting civilians and facilitating humanitarian aid.
Despite the accords, the RSF has continued to commit war crimes under Hemedti’s leadership, including sexual violence and attacks on fleeing civilians.
“The United States does not support either side of this war,” Blinken emphasized, noting that both factions bear responsibility for the ongoing violence and lack the legitimacy to govern Sudan’s future.
In addition to sanctions, the U.S. has pledged $30 million to support Sudanese civil society actors working toward a peaceful and democratic future.
The toll of the conflict on Sudan is staggering. Since April 2023, millions have been displaced, with entire communities destroyed and left without access to basic necessities.
Blinken signalled the potential for further sanctions against RSF affiliates and other actors undermining peace in Sudan, stating: “We will continue to evaluate additional measures to ensure accountability.”
Humanitarian groups have welcomed the U.S. measures but stress that more international coordination is urgently needed to address the crisis effectively.
The Ministry shared this message on its X account, urging the public to take preventive measures during the cold months, as flu cases tend to peak at this time of year.
“Influenza A, which is caused by the Influenza virus, typically affects people during the colder months. The virus is especially common among children under five, pregnant women, and elderly individuals with weakened immune systems,” the Ministry said.
Symptoms of the flu include severe coughing, chills, fatigue, headaches, loss of appetite and thirst, sore throat, difficulty breathing, vomiting, and fever, particularly in children. According to the Ministry, “As of this year, 6.6% of the population has been affected by Influenza A across the country.”
The data shows that the virus was most prevalent between April and July in 2022, and between January and May in 2023. For 2024, the flu is expected to peak from January to March.
The Ministry advises people to take preventive actions such as frequent handwashing, avoiding close contact with others, and seeking medical help if flu symptoms appear. “We encourage everyone to be vigilant and adhere to these health protocols,” the Ministry added.
The University of Kigali Teaching Hospitals (CHUK) echoed these precautions, advising its staff, patients, caregivers, and visitors to take special care during this period of heightened flu activity.
CHUK issued a statement on January 6, 2025, reinforcing the importance of flu prevention measures. By staying alert and taking proper care, the spread of Influenza A can be managed effectively, safeguarding public health during this season.
This innovative initiative marks the first time the city will have infrastructure specifically designed for car parking, signaling a significant step forward in urban planning and infrastructure development.
Speaking to the national broadcaster, RBA, Ms. Emma Claudine Ntirenganya, the Director General in Charge of Communication and Public Education at the City of Kigali, highlighted the transformative nature of the project.
“In order to solve the issue of parking in a lasting way, we are planning to establish buildings specifically and strictly designed for parking. This will not only reduce the congestion caused by cars parked in designated areas but also elevate Kigali’s urban standards to align with global cities,” she said.
The new parking complexes are part of a broader effort to enhance Kigali’s urban infrastructure and ease transportation challenges. Ntirenganya also emphasized the importance of improving public transportation as a complementary measure.
“To sustainably solve this problem, we are further streamlining the general public transport system,” she explained. “If, for example, people are fully served and satisfied by public means, with vehicles operating at designated times and places, there will no longer be a need for everyone to drive to the city in their private vehicles.”
This project adds to the milestones Kigali and Rwanda as a whole have achieved in infrastructure development. Over the years, the city has witnessed the construction of state-of-the-art roads, modern bus terminals, and innovative green spaces, all aimed at improving the quality of life for residents and enhancing the city’s reputation as a modern African metropolis.
The government has also prioritized urban planning and smart city initiatives, with Kigali leading the way as a model city in Africa.
The prospect of dedicated parking buildings brings a sense of relief and excitement. These facilities promise pave the way for a more efficient and organized urban experience.
This marks her third year with the team, and she has once again been selected to be part of the roster for this year’s competitions. She credited her success to the excellent support from her team, which provides everything she needs to train and prepare without any setbacks.
Reflecting on the previous year, Ingabire expressed her pride in participating in the 2024 Summer Olympics in Paris, a milestone she described as one of her biggest achievements.
Looking ahead to the new year, Ingabire is focused on continuing her strong performance, especially in the World Championship to be held in Rwanda.
“This year, I aim to compete in high-level races. I also want to focus on improving my teamwork skills with my teammates so that we can secure victories together. Personally, I am determined to give my best in the World Championship in Rwanda,” she said.
The World Championship is scheduled to take place in Kigali from September 21 to 28, 2025.
The Indian federal government urged states to increase surveillance and spread awareness to prevent transmission of the virus, but officials also urged the public not to panic. Many experts have stressed that HMPV has been around for decades and is not as fatal as COVID-19.
“Health experts have clarified that HMPV is not a new virus. It was first identified in 2001 and it has been circulating in the entire world since many years,” Indian Health Minister JP Nadda said in a video statement.
“HMPV spreads through the air, by way of respiration. This can affect people of all age groups. The virus spreads more during the winter and the early spring months,” he added.
Rajeev Jayadevan, the spokesperson on HMPV from the Indian Medical Association in Kochi, similarly tried to quell concerns, stressing that the virus is common in children.
“There is a lot of public anxiety about the HMPV. It is a common respiratory virus which most children get by the age of 3 or 4. It’s very rare to have a serious problem with this. Most children would have had at least one bout of this infection in their childhood, including all of us,” Jayadevan said.
“This is not COVID. This is not a killer virus. It has been around for many years in all countries, including ours,” Jayadevan explained.
Omedi and Kiwanuka put pen to paper on a two-year deal each today and also watched APR’s 2:0 League game win against Marines FC on Wednesday January 8, 20204 in Rubavu district.
For long, Omedi has been a centre of transfer speculation and Kitara FC Chairman Deo Kasozi confessed the player had over five suitors.
Last month, the forward was rumored to have completed a move to Singapore only for it to fall through when the two parties failed to agree on contractual terms.
Omedi has been a key figure at Kitara FC since joining them two years ago from Booma FC. He helped the team win the Stanbic Uganda Cup.
On the national team, Omedi was instrumental as Uganda Cranes qualified for AFCON 2025, scoring two goals in the campaign. On the other hand, Kiwanuka has been lethal for SC Villa and helped them to win the Uganda Premier League last year.
Interestingly, the duo was today morning named by coach Paul Put in Uganda Cranes provisional squad for CHAN 2024. The move to APR therefore, automatically rules them out of the tournament.
At APR, they become the third Ugandan player joining defensive midfielder Taddeo Lwanga.
It was in late December 2012, the day had started all well for Niyibizi, with shopping as he looked forward to joining his family to enjoy the festive season.
The joy turned into despair later that evening, when he was involved in an accident as he was going home.
“I lost my leg because of speeding. I think I was just happy that I was going home after months without going there, to enjoy Christmas and the New Year with them, and I forgot that I was on the road, which is shared with many other motorists and pedestrians. This ended up being my last ride,” Niyibizi reckons.
He recalls how carelessness and overexcitement cost him dearly. Having accepted the situation, Niyibizi now urges other road users to avoid making the same life-threatening mistakes.
“Towards the end of the year, people tend to overindulge, but that is dangerous for drivers and motorcyclists. You will regret your whole life when you lose your limb; that is if you don’t die and leave your loved ones heartbroken for something preventable.
“When I see people walking, I feel like I’ve lost something invaluable. My advice to motorists is to stay cautious, not prioritize celebrations over life, avoid speeding, and refrain from drinking and driving. If you lose your life, you leave your family in distress,” says Niyibizi.
Just like Niyibizi, Ernest Ndayishimiye, a former truck driver, recounts the same ordeal.
“It was in November 2011, when I was involved in an accident. I was driving a truck from Kigali to Rusizi and I had an accident in Nyamagabe. I lost my limb, which has since affected my life. Accidents have severe consequences. Economically, I’ve lost a lot having to spend years unable to work. I used to support my family, but now I can’t,” says Ndayishimiye.
Ndayishimiye advises road users to avoid driving under the influence, ensure vehicles are roadworthy, and observe speed limits. He also encourages pedestrians to use designated crossings.
Another road accident victim, Alice Mukamurenzi, who lost her leg as a child in 1996 while crossing the road, now plays football and advocates for road safety.
She said: “I live in Musanze and play football in a team for people with disabilities. I was a child when I was hit by a car while crossing the road, leading to my disability. Whether it was my carelessness or the driver’s speed, the accident happened because of negligence on both sides.”
“Whatever you want to achieve or to celebrate, you will only do it when you are in good health and without any harm. Drive sober, follow traffic laws, and as pedestrians, cross or use the road carefully.”
Road traffic accident (RTA) victims suffer from different types of injuries and disabilities, which can affect their quality of life. They usually face various physical, mental, and social problems. Most traffic accident victims experience difficulties adapting to the new life.
Road traffic accidents are a global concern as they are among the leading causes of death worldwide, claiming over a million lives each year and leaving many others injured.
From January to December 2024, Rwanda recorded around 9,600 road accidents, leading to 350 fatalities. Despite ongoing efforts by international organizations and governments worldwide to mitigate the effects of road accidents, the issue persists.
For the last five years, the Rwanda National Police (RNP) has been conducting the “Gerayo Amahoro” road safety campaign to educate and influence all categories of road users to adopt safer behaviors on road usage.
The campaign focuses on eliminating human behaviors that lead to accidents, fatalities or permanent disabilities, and to increase visibility and enforcement.
Gerayo Amahoro or ‘arrive safe’ encourages safe driving behavior, responsive use of the road and to make road safety a choice and culture.
The road security report indicates that road-related fatalities reduced by 50 percent in 2024 compared to the previous year.
Accidents involving cyclists, who are often among the most vulnerable road users, also dropped by 17%, reflecting significant changes in the behaviors of road users.
The RNP spokesperson, Assistant Commissioner of Police (ACP) Boniface Rutikanga, echoed the message of road safety, urging people to drive safely without jeopardizing public safety.
He advises the public against driving or riding under the influence, and to seek alternative safer means.
“Roads are used by many people, who wish to get to their final destinations safely. So, when you are on the road as a driver, motorcyclist, cyclist, pedestrian or passenger, behave or act in a way that guarantees your safety and that of other people sharing the same road.
“Avoid speeding, using a phone when riding, driving or crossing the road; respect zebra crossing, refrain from drunk driving, wrong or dangerous maneuvers, reckless use of road; all of which increase risks of road crashes, injuries, loss of lives and destruction of property. Make road safety a choice and culture,” ACP Rutikanga says.