“Just finished a phone call with NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg. I reaffirmed that the Hungarian government supports the NATO membership of Sweden. I also stressed that we will continue to urge the Hungarian National Assembly to vote in favor of Sweden’s accession and conclude the ratification at the first possible opportunity,” Orban wrote on social media platform X.
With Türkiye’s ratification on Tuesday, Hungary remains the only NATO member country that hasn’t approved Sweden’s application.
Stoltenberg tweeted shortly after his talks with Orban: “Good call with PM Viktor Orban of Hungary. I welcome the clear support of the Prime Minister and his government for Sweden’s NATO membership. I look forward to the ratification as soon as parliament reconvenes.”
The Hungarian Parliament is set to reconvene in the second half of February.
The Hungarian government submitted the draft resolution required for the ratification of Sweden’s NATO accession to parliament in July 2022.
Following Ankara’s approval, Orban sent an invitation letter to his Swedish counterpart Ulf Kristersson asking him to visit Hungary for talks on Sweden’s NATO integration and strengthening bilateral relations.
At a press conference at the UN headquarters in New York, Lavrov said Moscow requested a meeting for 3 p.m. Wednesday New York Time (2000 GMT). But obviously the meeting has not been scheduled accordingly.
Lavrov said a Russian IL-76 transport aircraft was downed with 65 captured Ukrainian military servicemen on board together with three Russian officers and six crew members. All people on board the plane died as a result of what he said a terrorist attack by Ukraine.
Lavrov said an air defense missile launched by Ukraine from the Kharkiv region downed the plane in the Belgorod region. The IL-76 was carrying the 65 captured Ukrainian soldiers from Moscow to Belgorod for a prisoner-of-war swap that had been agreed on between Moscow and Kiev.
The figure was lower than the previous festive season when 1,452 people were killed in road crashes, said Minister of Transport Sindisiwe Chikunga at a media briefing.
“Human factors contributed 80.8 percent of the crashes, while environmental factors contributed 10.4 percent as a result of heavy rainfall and storms that had a big impact on road use, and this is whereas vehicle factors contributed 8.8 percent,” said Chikunga.
South Africa recorded 1,184 fatal crashes during the festive period from Dec. 1, 2023 to Jan. 11 this year, a decrease of 2.3 percent compared to the previous festive season, the minister said.
Chikunga noted that drunk driving remains the main cause behind road accidents in the country, followed by reckless and negligent behavior on the road, adding that most of the people who lost their lives were between the ages of 25 and 44.
Over the past few days, the remains of 119 victims of genocide against Tutsi have so far been dug out of mass graves in a family compound of a resident of Ngoma village, according to Napthali Ahishakiye, executive secretary of IBUKA.
“Volunteers started to dig up the remains after a resident tipped off local authorities about the possibility of a mass grave there,” Ahishakiye told Xinhua.
“It had been kept secret until someone volunteered to give information, but it is likely that those who lived in the house knew about it,” he said.
Local authorities said investigations about the mass grave started last October after residents who were digging a foundation for the construction of a house fence dug out the remains of six people.
Stressing the importance of genocide survivors being able to locate where the bodies of their loved ones were buried, Ahishakiye said the recently discovered remains are being kept in plastic bags and will be given a decent burial at an appropriate time.
Local residents said some former soldiers of the past government lived in the area where the remains were discovered, and the soldiers played a big role in the killings of members of the Tutsi ethnic group.
Horrible crimes were committed in the Ngoma area in Huye District during the genocide as Tutsi were murdered in cold blood, some at roadblocks erected by military personnel, according to IBUKA.
The remains of more than 100,000 genocide victims are said to have been retrieved across Rwanda over the past five years.
More than 1 million people were killed by Hutu extremists in a span of 100 days during the genocide in 1994.
Speaking at the conclusion of the 19th National Dialogue Council, Umushyikirano, Kagame urged leaders to prioritize transformative actions that positively impact people’s lives.
According to Kagame, the primary purpose of leaders is to deliver for the people and effect positive change in their livelihoods. He stressed that any deviation from this goal renders their efforts futile, emphasizing that leaders cannot afford to delegate their responsibilities.
Kagame warned against leaders abdicating their duties, cautioning that it creates a void that might be filled by individuals with different aspirations.
While acknowledging the value of external support, Kagame encouraged leaders to define their own paths and goals. He emphasized the need for self-reliance and asserted that external assistance should complement, not dictate, their journey.
The second day of Umushyikirano concentrated on national unity and resilience. Kagame urged attendees to commit to improvement in areas where they had fallen short. Additionally, he addressed the issue of inadequate communication within and between government agencies, asserting that effective dialogue is essential for problem-solving.
Kagame highlighted the significance of timely action, discouraging procrastination. He emphasized that solutions often require collaboration and that individuals cannot achieve meaningful results in isolation.
Kagame concluded by noting that many of the identified shortcomings discussed during the meeting did not demand additional financial resources but rather a commitment and diligence from those in positions of responsibility.
At least 63 bales were recovered when Police officers searched the house located in Rungu Cell, Gahenerezo Village on Wednesday, January 24.
One person said to be part of the ring, was arrested at the scene, Superintendent of Police (SP) Twizere Bonaventure Karekezi, the Police spokesperson for the Western region, said.
“A local resident tipped-off the Police about a house in Rubavu District, Mudende Sector, Rungu Cell, Gahenerezo Village used by smugglers as store for caguwa sneaked into Rwanda from the Democratic Republic of Congo.
Indeed, when police officers attached to anti-smuggling unit searched the house at about midnight, they recovered 63 bales and arrested one person,” SP Karekezi said.
The suspect, who claimed that he was paid Rwf50,000 to keep the goods, disclosed that the bales were sneaked into Rwanda, recently, by a notorious smuggler, who is yet to be arrested.
“They were mainly using porous routes in Kibaya and using the same house as store before smuggling them to other destinations, including Kigali.
The same suspect still at large, has been implicated in similar crime several times,” SP Karekezi said.
He thanked the resident, who shared information leading on the illegal acts, and commended the role of the public in fighting and preventing crimes.
A taxpayer, who commits fraud, is also subject to an administrative fine of one hundred percent (100%) of the evaded tax and a likely imprisonment of between six months and two years. Seized smuggled goods are also auctioned.
Article 87 of the law on tax procedures provides an imprisonment of between two and five years, for tax evasion.
Tshisekedi’s disparaging remarks about Rwanda during the December 2023 presidential campaigns, including intentions to overthrow President Paul Kagame, were reiterated by Ndayishimiye on January 21, 2024.
During the opening of the National Dialogue Council, President Kagame cautioned Rwandans not to be alarmed by ‘swollen things, as they are sometimes filled with air.’
On the second day of Umushyikirano on January 24, Minister Bizimana echoed this sentiment, advising Rwandans to ignore provocative messages.
Minister Bizimana urged the youth to remain resilient against hate speeches, exemplified by the recent comments from the Congolese and Burundian Presidents, portraying Rwanda as their enemy.
He emphasized that Rwanda, under excellent leadership, has transcended its dark past and emerged as a prosperous and transformed nation.
The Minister of Youth, Utumatwishima Abdala, took the spotlight on the second day, emphasizing the positive strides in youth-led job creation and initiatives showcased in the Car Free Zone.
Notably, Minister Abdala conveyed a message from artists, expressing their appreciation for the President’s presence in previous events.
He quoted, “The artists felt valued and expressed a desire to be invited to present their art at various forums, including events like these council meetings, showcasing their talent and contributing to national development.”
As the council kicked off on Tuesday, President Paul Kagame’s emphasis on resilience set the tone, emphasizing safety as a prevailing theme.
While acknowledging achievements in self-sufficiency in food production, the discussions also addressed challenges in fortifying the healthcare system among others.
President Paul Kagame assured these students, who are facing financial challenges due to tripled school fees compared to their previous fees in Ukraine, that the government would address their concerns.
Delice Sine, a fourth-year medical student currently studying in Poland, expressed gratitude for the support received so far but emphasized the ongoing struggle with increased tuition fees. She pointed out that Polish schools now charge three times more than what the students used to pay in Ukraine before the war. Representing a group of six students, four of whom are in their final year of university, Sine requested assistance during the Umushyikirano session.
In her appeal to the President, Sine highlighted that the primary issue faced by the students is the soaring school fees and requested any form of support, regardless of the amount, to ensure the continuity of their studies.
She stated, “We would like to request any type of support regardless of the amount. It can be helpful for us to continue our studies effectively.”
President Kagame responded by assuring the students that the government would intervene to resolve the issue. He delegated the responsibility to key ministries, including the Prime Minister, Minister of Education, and Minister of Health, urging them to address the challenges faced by the students.
Kagame emphasized, “The Prime Minister, Minister of Education, and Minister of Health have to address the issue so that no one fails to study because of that, unless they fail to perform well. But they told us that currently they perform well.”
Sine also took the opportunity to encourage her fellow students who had discontinued their studies abroad to resume their education. She concluded by pledging her commitment to becoming a proficient medical professional upon completing her studies.
In the context of sub-Saharan African countries where the quality of medical services is often questionable, Rwanda stands out due to substantial government investments in healthcare infrastructure. The NST1, a seven-year program aimed at accelerating sustainable development, specifically addresses the enhancement of health services in Rwanda.
According to the 2022 census, the average life expectancy for Rwandans has risen to 69 years, attributed to an improving standard of living and effective healthcare. In 2023, the inauguration of the BioNTech vaccine manufacturing plant marked a milestone, producing vaccines for Covid-19, malaria, and other diseases. The Ministry of Health is actively working to boost the annual number of graduates from medical, nursing, and midwifery schools, aiming to increase it from 2,000 to 8,000.
During the 19th National Dialogue Council held on January 23-24, 2024, Prime Minister Dr. Edouard Ngirente highlighted the construction of six new hospitals since 2017, including Gatunda, Gatonde, Munini, and Nyabikenke. Additionally, existing hospitals like Byumba and Nyarugenge have been renovated. This builds upon the existing 52 hospitals and includes the establishment of 12 new health centers, supplementing the existing 495.
Prime Minister Ngirente emphasized the expansion of health posts from 473 in 2017 to 1252, aiming to facilitate easier access for those seeking treatment for less serious conditions. The improved medical infrastructure has led to a 93% rate of mothers giving birth in a medical facility, a significant increase attributed to enhanced infrastructure and healthcare services.
Efforts to combat malaria include providing mosquito nets to families, encouraging their use, and employing insecticides in homes. Drone technology has been utilized to control the spread of the disease. Prime Minister Ngirente reported a substantial reduction in malaria deaths, from 427 in 2017 to only 35, expressing the aspiration to achieve zero malaria deaths.
Looking forward, the government plans to further increase the number of health centers, introduce specialized services for cancer and mental illness treatment, and intensify the fight against epidemic diseases. Notably, the construction of the first maternity hospital in Kabgayi and the development of Kigali Health City, featuring projects such as IRCAD Africa, align with Rwanda’s vision of becoming a multi-service hub, integrating advanced medical technologies.