The announcement was made by M23’s military spokesperson, Lt Col Willy Ngoma, on the night of January 3, 2024, via his X account.
“Katale in Masisi breathes the air of liberation. The enemy has suffered great losses, with many weapons and ammunition seized by the Lions of Sarambwe [M23],” he stated.
Manzi Ngarambe Willy, M23’s coordinator for the diaspora, also confirmed the capture, emphasizing that FDLR forces had been driven out.
The town was taken in the afternoon of January 3 following intense clashes between M23 fighters and a coalition of the Congolese army (FARDC) and FDLR terrorists, which had been ongoing since the morning hours.
Juvénal Munubo, the Member of Parliament for Masisi in the DRC’s National Assembly, voiced concern over the capture, fearing it could lead to the fall of the larger Masisi trading center. He called on the Congolese armed forces to act swiftly to reclaim the area.
“Katale is only 12 kilometers from the Masisi trading center, and its fall increases the enemy’s chances of capturing the Masisi capital of the territory, which is close to Walikale.
“It is urgent for FARDC and other forces defending the country to intensify their efforts to push them back and restore security in the east,” Munubo urged.
M23 fighters seized control of Katale after successfully repelling an attack on their positions, including those in Kahira and Buhimba in the Bashali-Mukoto area of Masisi.
According to media reports, the incident occurred shortly after President Akufo-Addo began delivering his speech, which focused on his administration’s accomplishments and future plans for the nation.
Col Amponsah, a trusted and long-serving aide, suddenly lost consciousness while standing guard in the chamber, causing a stir among lawmakers and officials present.
The incident was captured on video as Parliament’s medical team rushed to offer immediate care. Col Amponsah was quickly given first aid before being transported to a nearby hospital for further assessment.
In the midst of the unexpected event, President Akufo-Addo briefly paused his speech to ensure his bodyguard received the necessary attention before continuing.
Despite the disruption, the address resumed with the President reflecting on Ghana’s progress and future direction.
This came during the meeting between officials of the two countries as a high-level Ethiopian delegation led by Ethiopian Minister of Defense Aisha Mohammed made an official working visit to Somalia, the Ethiopian Ministry of Foreign Affairs said in a statement issued Friday.
According to the ministry, the Ethiopian delegation held “fruitful discussions” with senior Somali officials, including the country’s President Hassan Sheikh Mohamud. It said the discussions “reaffirmed the commitment of both countries to working together to ensure peace and stability in Somalia and the region.”
The two countries “agreed to collaborate on the African Union Support and Stabilization Mission in Somalia and strengthen bilateral relations.” They also agreed to enhance exchanges of visits and discussions among officials of the two countries, according to the statement.
Reiterating Ethiopia’s commitment to contributing to the peace and stability of Somalia, Ethiopia’s defense minister stressed that combating terrorism is a key area of cooperation between the two Horn of Africa countries.
Somali Minister of Defense Abdulkadir Mohamed Nur expressed his appreciation and gratitude for the Ethiopian Defense Forces’ sacrifices and contributions to ensuring peace in Somalia, according to the statement.
Tensions had been escalating between Ethiopia and Somalia after Ethiopia and Somaliland reportedly signed an agreement earlier in 2024, allowing Ethiopia access to the Red Sea in exchange for its recognition of Somaliland, a self-declared region of Somalia, as an independent state. Somalia said the agreement is legally invalid.
After a period of mounting diplomatic tensions, leaders of Ethiopia and Somalia reached an agreement last month after Turkish-mediated negotiations in Ankara, marking a breakthrough in resolving recent misunderstandings.
Following the agreement, Ethiopian Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed and Somali President Mohamud issued a joint statement emphasizing the importance of cooperation and dialogue between the two countries.
Both leaders reaffirmed their respect for and commitment to each other’s sovereignty, unity, independence, and territorial integrity. They also agreed to work together to finalize arrangements that would grant Ethiopia access to and from the sea.
Detective Inspector Titus Phiri, the Team Leader at Leonard Cheelo Police Post under Kanyama Police Station, reportedly freed the suspects after seizing the cell keys from a female officer on duty.
According to police, the incident occurred on December 31, 2024, at around 10:00 a.m.
“Preliminary investigations reveal that Detective Inspector Phiri, in a state of intoxication, forcibly seized cell keys from Woman Constable Serah Banda,” said Rae Hamoonga, the Police Public Relations Officer.
Phiri allegedly unlocked both the male and female cells and instructed the 15 suspects in custody to leave, stating they were free to “cross over into the New Year.”
Thirteen of the detainees took the opportunity to escape. The officer fled the scene shortly after, disappearing into a nearby compound.
Among the escapees are individuals charged with offences ranging from theft and assault to drug possession and gender-based violence.
Authorities have launched a manhunt to recapture the fugitives and are urging the public to provide any information that could assist in locating them.
“All the suspects remain at large. A docket of the case has been opened, and a manhunt has been launched,” the statement read.
The Zambia Police Service condemned the actions of Detective Inspector Phiri, reaffirming their commitment to maintaining law and order.
“Decisive action will be taken against any officer found to be abusing their authority or acting contrary to the law,” Hamoonga assured.
In the first phase of the the GAH project, the government has decided to tap water from the Akagera River using electric-powered machines. The captured water is stored in a 123,000 m³ reservoir before flowing through a 21 km canal. Along this canal, there are pumping stations that distribute water across 5,600 hectares.
The objective is to attract private investment into the agricultural sector with some success already evident.
“We already have seven private investors in the first phase, coming from the United States, Bulgaria, Kenya, and Zimbabwe.
They will cultivate crops such as maize, beans, soybeans, avocado, macadamia nuts, chili peppers, hazelnuts, wheat, and potatoes,” explained Ngarambe Aloysius, GAH’s CEO.
The GAH has already distributed plots to seven private investors. Land distribution began in March 2024, with investors generally given one year to prepare. Some have already begun putting up infrastructure developments.
This is a multi-faceted beneficial project because with the irrigation system, once farming begins, investors will be able to cultivate year-round without interruption. Throughout the 21 km canal, there are mini-pumping stations to distribute water across 5,600 hectares.
“As investments increase, production rises, and thus, a solution to food security is found. For maize, for example, productivity is expected to increase from 4 tons to 11 tons per hectare,” said Ngarambe.
This project will provide jobs for over 6,500 people throughout the entire production chain. While its primary goal is food security, not all of the produce will be sold on the local market. Some products will be exported after processing, thus earning foreign currency. Another significant benefit is the transfer of knowledge and expertise.
“When such investors come into the country, they introduce new technologies. The local farmer with nearby land learns something. This helps them gradually abandon traditional farming methods and adopt modern techniques,” Ngarambe emphasized.
However, the investment is costly. So far, the government has invested $118 million into the first phase of the project. “A private investor would not easily engage in this project because the money invested cannot be recouped in two, three, or even four years. It’s a long-term project, and such investments are usually made by the state,” explained Ngarambe.
{{Government leasing land to farmers}}
The 5,600 hectares distributed to private investors belong to the local population. The government has decided to lease this land annually.
“When a farmer provides land to the project, 75% of it goes to the state. The state then allocates it to private investors. The remaining 25% is returned to the landowner after being developed to enable them to sustain themselves. The 75% is leased out, and the farmer is paid annually,” revealed Ngarambe.
This project will make the agricultural sector more productive, market-oriented, and resilient to climate change. Out of the 5,600 hectares developed by the government, only 3,724 hectares have been reserved for private investors. The second phase, which is set to begin in two years, will also develop 10,000 hectares.
The GAH project aligns with the second phase of the National Strategy for Transformation (NST2), aiming to make agriculture more productive, market-oriented, and resilient to climate change.
The National Examination and School Inspection Authority (NESA) had earlier announced that the first group of boarding students is scheduled to return to their schools on January 3, 2025.
Congestion has been reported at various bus stations across Kigali, where students board vehicles to return to school, making it difficult for some to find transport.
Joseph Rutajobwa, an employee of Virunga Express, explained that the transportation challenges faced by students are largely due to non-compliance with the set return schedule.
“The problem is that students do not respect their designated days. For instance, if students from the Southern Province are assigned a specific date, they often fail to travel on that date and instead show up on other days, leading to overcrowding and delays,” he stated.
Emma-Claudine Ntirenganya, the Kigali City Director General in Charge of Communication and Education, stated that some parents have developed a habit of disregarding the schedule for returning students, creating challenges for service providers.
“When parents fail to follow the schedule, it becomes challenging for us as the Kigali City administration, and it also creates difficulties for transportation companies. These companies cannot combine students with other passengers, as students travel under standard fares without additional charges,” Ntirenganya explained:
Ntirenganya warned parents who delay their children’s return to school, stating that penalties will be introduced.
“Penalties will be implemented, requiring parents to either comply with the schedule or make personal arrangements to transport their children to school.”
NESA has indicated that the final group of boarding students is expected to return to school by January 6, 2025.
Since its establishment in 1998 by the Zanzibar Football Federation, the Mapinduzi Cup has been a regional club competition. In 2023, Rwanda’s APR FC participated but was eliminated in the semi-finals after a penalty shootout.
This year, however, the tournament organizers have decided to invite national teams to participate, marking a significant change in the competition’s structure.
The decision to include national teams was made to provide key preparation for Tanzania, Uganda, and Kenya, the three countries set to co-host CHAN 2024.
The invitation to these teams, including Rwanda, allows them to fine-tune their squads and strategies ahead of the continental competition, providing them with valuable game time against high-level opposition.
Other countries invited to the tournament include Kenya, Tanzania, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Uganda, and Zanzibar. This represents a unique opportunity for these teams to engage in competitive matches in the build-up to the much-anticipated CHAN tournament.
The Federation of Rwanda Football Associations (FERWAFA) confirmed that the national team, Amavubi, had received an invitation to participate in the Mapinduzi Cup. However, FERWAFA’s General Secretary, Adolphe ‘Camarade’ Kalisa, noted that this tournament had not been part of their original schedule.
As of now, the decision on whether to accept or decline the invitation has not yet been made, with the federation still considering their options.
According to the latest report from the National Institute of Statistics of Rwanda (NISR), titled Statistical Yearbook 2024, the number of registered vehicles in the country increased from 268,537 in 2021 to 330,166 in 2023.
The increase in vehicle imports aligns with the rising demand for permanent driving licenses. Over the past three years, 143,864 residents obtained permanent driving licenses.
The growth reflects a surge in economic activity and an increasing appetite for personal and commercial transportation options.
Motorcycles continue to dominate the registered vehicle market, with registrations increasing from 141,532 in 2021 to 177,187 in 2023. Cars and jeeps followed suit, growing from 43,182 to 51,262 over the same period.
Other categories of vehicles also experienced growth, with buses increasing from 6,213 to 7,142 and trucks from 24,564 to 28,612. Additionally, trailers saw a rise from 2,169 to 2,559, and special equipment vehicles used in construction and agriculture grew from 2,877 to 3,404.
The growth could be attributed to several factors, including improvements in infrastructure, favourable import policies, and a growing middle class.
Regionally, Rwanda’s trade partnerships with the COMESA and SADC blocs have also contributed to this trend. Imports from the COMESA region alone surged from $153.14 million in earlier years to $368.56 million.
However, the increase in motor vehicle imports also presents challenges, particularly concerning urban congestion and environmental impact. The government has been proactive in addressing these issues by promoting the use of electric and hybrid vehicles. Several policy measures are in place to encourage sustainable transport solutions, including tax incentives for environmentally friendly vehicles.
As Rwanda’s economy continues to grow, the demand for motor vehicles is expected to rise further. Policymakers are tasked with ensuring that this growth aligns with the country’s broader goals of sustainability and urban development.
This continental tournament, which brings together players from domestic leagues across Africa, will be co-hosted by Uganda, Tanzania, and Kenya next month.
One month before the competition kicks off, the Confederation of African Football (CAF) has released a list of the 65 referees who will officiate the tournament. Among them are 26 center referees, 25 assistant referees, and 14 VAR officials.
Mutuyimana, who will serve as an assistant referee, is the only Rwandan selected for the 2024 CHAN from those officiating on the field. Another Rwandan, Mukansanga Salima, who is experienced in using VAR technology, is returning after stepping down from her role as a center referee.
He is set to officiate in his second consecutive CHAN tournament after recently attended training sessions for referees ahead of the competition in early December. CHAN 2024 will feature 19 teams, with 17 countries already confirmed, with Rwanda expected to be among the final two teams.
The Rwanda National Football Team, Amavubi, ended their qualification campaign with a win against South Sudan in the final qualifiers. The aggregate score was 4-4 over two legs, with the away-goal rule set to be applied for the final decision.
The two Rwandans join other officials from 40 countries with Morocco having the highest number of 5. Kenya and South Africa have 3 officials each. 18 countries including Rwanda have 2 officials each while the remaining 19 countries have one official each.
In an interview with RBA, ACP Rutikanga highlighted that this was a positive contrast to Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, during which two accidents occurred, resulting in two fatalities.
“Security was very good, as unlike Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, when there were only two accidents, no accidents were reported on New Year’s Eve or New Year’s Day across the country,” he said.
ACP Rutikanga further clarified what constitutes an accident, noting that it includes incidents that cause injuries or fatalities, as well as damage to infrastructure.
“I wouldn’t describe an accident as something like a vehicle lightly brushing against another, or a motorcyclist bumping into a car, falling, getting up, and continuing. I’m referring to incidents where vehicles are severely damaged, infrastructure is destroyed, and people are injured or lose their lives,” he added.
Between December 23, 2024, and January 1, 2025, 14 major accidents were reported. ACP Rutikanga stated that across the country, 16 people were injured, and a few lost their lives.