Shartsi Kutesa Musherure is the sister of Gen Muhoozi’s wife, Charlotte Kainerugaba. She is a Member of Parliament representing the ruling party, NRM, for the Mawogola North constituency in Uganda’s Parliament.
As Uganda gears up for parliamentary elections, it was expected that Shartsi Kutesa Musherure would seek re-election.
However, her re-election bid had put her at odds with Sodo Aine Kaguta, the younger brother of President Yoweri Kaguta Museveni and also Gen Muhoozi’s uncle, as he, too, is eyeing the same seat.
To ease tensions, on Sunday, June 22, 2025, Shartsi Musherure announced she would no longer contest for the seat, citing “respect for the President, Chairman of the NRM Party,” and a desire “to maintain the unity of the NRM party.”
In a message shared on Monday, Gen Muhoozi expressed appreciation for his sister-in-law’s decision to step aside.
“On Mawogola North, I applaud and congratulate my sister Hon.Shartsi. Government posts do not define a person. Shartsi is welcome to the struggle. I’m happy to have her as my fellow companion,” Gen Muhoozi wrote on X.
Following Musherure’s withdrawal, President Museveni’s younger brother visited Mawogola North on Monday to engage with local residents as he seeks to represent the area in Parliament.
Speaking at the event held on June 20, 2025 in Huye District, Xavier Shema Mugisha, Executive Director of Commercial Business at BPR Bank Rwanda Plc, explained that the annual initiative is intended to celebrate accomplishments with stakeholders while also seeking feedback for improvements and listening to client needs.
“In previous years, you offered valuable suggestions which we implemented, but that does not mean our work is complete. The journey continues, and we must keep improving our services for your benefit,” he remarked.
Patience Mutesi, CEO of BPR Bank Rwanda Plc, highlighted the importance of 2025 as the bank marks its 50th anniversary.
“This year, we are celebrating 50 years of a bank valued at over 1,000 billion Rwandan Francs. It has been a long journey with many challenges, but we’ve overcome them. Today, the bank stands as one of the leading institutions in East Africa. You made the right choice by trusting us. Our services now extend beyond Rwanda to the entire East African Community,” she said.
Mutesi also announced that, in 2025, shareholders began receiving dividends on their shares, a testament to the bank’s profitability and sustainable growth.
“We welcome your ideas to guide us through the next 50 years so we can continue to grow even faster,” she added.
Laurent Gatera from Huye District, a client of BPR since 1980, reflected on how the bank was once the only institution reaching people across the country and urged its leadership to continue meeting customers’ needs.
This sentiment was echoed by François Nyamaswa from Gisagara District, a client since 1990, who praised the bank’s progress and encouraged others to remain loyal to BPR Bank Rwanda Plc, noting its clear path toward a brighter future.
Huye District Mayor Sebutege Ange commended BPR Bank Rwanda Plc for engaging with citizens in a way that fosters friendship and trust, emphasizing the alignment with the national vision of citizen-centered service delivery.
He further urged BPR Bank to continue expanding its outreach to communities, providing information on financial services to promote saving habits and responsible borrowing.
The Rwanda Development Board (RDB) recently announced that the funding was part of the National Strategy for Transformation (NST1), a seven-year development plan that has now been concluded.
The projects have so far resulted in the establishment of 631 hotel rooms along the country’s scenic lakes, including Lake Kivu, Lake Ruhondo, and Lake Burera.
RDB Deputy Chief Executive Officer Juliana Kangeli Muganza said the growth of lakeside tourism is not only diversifying Rwanda’s hospitality offerings but also contributing to broader economic development.
“As more hotels are established to cater to visitors, we see other economic activities emerging,” Muganza said. “These investments are creating jobs and supporting communities.”
Figures from the Rwanda Chamber of Tourism indicate that the number of private tourism establishments rose sharply from 450 in 2018 to 1,360 by 2023. The government now aims to increase the national hotel room capacity from 10,000 to 35,000 over the next five years.
In Karongi District, located along the northern shores of Lake Kivu, authorities report a notable increase in tourism infrastructure. More than 14 hotels are now operational in the district, drawing both leisure and research visitors.
Karongi Mayor Gerald Muzungu said hospitality investments are creating demand in related sectors such as food supply chains, transportation, and construction.
“Hotels are creating demand in food supply chains, transport, and other services, boosting job creation far beyond the hospitality sector,” Muzungu noted.
One of the standout projects is Château Le Marara, a newly opened European-style hotel located on a peninsula in Bwishyura Sector. The facility is already hosting guests and events while sourcing fresh produce from local suppliers, according to interim General Manager Solange Kayondo.
Beyond formal employment, the lakeside tourism boom is generating a wave of informal job opportunities. Workers such as painters, masons, and porters are finding steady income from construction and hotel maintenance.
According to RDB, the lakeshore projects completed so far have created approximately 364 jobs, with another 400 positions expected as ongoing projects are finalised.
{{Sector outlook
}}
The broader hospitality and tourism sector in Rwanda currently employs around 165,000 people, a number that is projected to rise with the ongoing expansion of infrastructure and services.
Officials say lakeside tourism will remain a central pillar in Rwanda’s long-term economic development strategy, with plans to deepen investments and promote sustainable, community-driven growth.
Around 100 protesters rallied on Times Square, holding signs reading “Stop The War On Iran,” “Hands Off Iran” and others.
A group of people also held similar protests outside the White House, according to videos circulated on social media.
The emergency protests were planned in over 15 cities across the country, according to the website of the ANSWER Coalition, one of the organizers of the protests.
“(U.S. President Donald) Trump’s unprovoked bombing of Iranian nuclear facilities is an outright war crime. It violates the UN Charter, international law and the U.S. Constitution. It threatens to set into motion a regional or even global war with massive casualties, nuclear radiation and catastrophic consequences,” said a post on the website.
“We demand an immediate end to U.S. and Israeli attacks on Iran and its sovereignty,” said the ANSWER Coalition.
The people of the United States want more funding for health care, education and infrastructure, while Trump and his war hawks are launching a new war that endangers the world, sheds the blood of Iranians and eventually Americans, and serves only the interests of the military-industrial complex, said the coalition.
“President Trump took his faithful decision without Congressional approval, even though it will trigger serious reprisals from Iran and put American soldiers directly in the line of fire. It was done not in response to any imminent threat,” said Etan Mabourakh, the organizing manager with the National Iranian American Council.
“We urge restraint. We urge diplomacy. Diplomacy is the only way to solve problems. Bombs have never brought liberation,” said Mabourakh at Times Square.
The United States is expected to see more similar protests in the coming days, including a national march in Washington D.C. on June 28, according to the website.
AUSSOM said in a statement issued in the Somali capital of Mogadishu that the move followed a three-day joint operation code-named “Operation Silent Storm,” aimed at liberating areas under al-Shabab control in the Lower Shabelle Region.
AUSSOM Sector One Commander Joseph Ssemwanga emphasised that joint operations will continue in Middle Shabelle until al-Shabab threats are effectively addressed.
“Sabiid-Anole has become a strategic location since March, where terrorists plan deadly attacks, conceal ammunition, including vehicles for vehicle-borne improvised explosive devices, and establish illegal checkpoints to extort locals,” Ssemwanga said.
During the joint operation, several al-Shabab fighters were neutralized during a prolonged siege of their hideouts in various parts of the villages, AUSSOM said.
The AU mission said the forces also seized a substantial amount of ammunition from fleeing militants, clearing improvised explosive devices planted in communities and supply routes.
AUSSOM Force Commander Sam Kavuma said the pan-African mission is fully committed to implementing the Somalia Transition Plan, which will culminate in the transfer of security responsibilities to the Somali Security Forces.
“I commend the brave efforts of our gallant AUSSOM Ugandan troops and the Somali National Army in degrading al-Shabab,” Kavuma said.
Sahal Abdullahi Omar, commander of the Somali National Army’s land forces, also confirmed that “Operation Silent Storm” successfully dismantled al-Shabab’s presence in the two villages.
The allied forces are currently securing the recaptured villages and clearing remaining pockets of al-Shabab terrorists in Lower Shabelle’s Afgooye District.
The operation aims to degrade and eliminate terrorists from Lower Shabelle and neighboring areas, the AU mission said.
Speaking exclusively to PEOPLE magazine during the opening night of Call Me Izzy at Broadway’s Studio 54 on June 12, Roberts shared that the couple will be coming to the land of a thousand hills to celebrate nearly two years of marriage.
“We’re actually going to Rwanda,” said Roberts, 64. “Because we wanted to celebrate that way, because our time together has been an adventure. And we thought what better way than to be with the gorillas … in Rwanda?”
The celebrated Good Morning America co-anchor and her wife, a massage therapist from the San Francisco Bay Area, tied the knot in an intimate backyard ceremony in Farmington, Connecticut, in September 2023, following nearly two decades together. They first met on a blind date in 2005 and have been inseparable ever since — a bond strengthened through personal milestones, health challenges, and years of mutual support.
The couple’s visit will come as Rwanda continues to grow its reputation as a premier luxury and eco-tourism destination. From trekking endangered mountain gorillas in Volcanoes National Park to enjoying serene lakefront lodges and vibrant cultural experiences, the country has become a favourite among high-profile visitors seeking meaningful travel.
Roberts and Laign have long described their relationship as rooted in strong communication and mutual respect.
“We’ve had peaks and valleys — many more peaks than valleys,” Roberts told PEOPLE. “Communication” and understanding each other’s backgrounds have been key to their enduring love.
Laign added, “We keep it fresh. You’ve got to keep it fresh, have our little date nights.”
Their anniversary trip also coincides with another milestone, 20 years together as a couple this July.
Roberts, known for her warmth and resilience on GMA, has inspired millions through her openness about overcoming breast cancer and a rare bone marrow disorder. Laign, too, is a cancer survivor, having battled breast cancer in recent years. Their mutual support during these health challenges has only deepened their bond.
With this upcoming trip, the couple joins a growing list of global celebrities drawn to Rwanda’s unique blend of wildlife, culture, and serenity. Other celebrities who have visited Rwanda recently include John Legend and his wife, Chrissy Teigen, who were in the country in February for the Move Afrika concert series.
Whether exploring lush rainforests or enjoying quiet moments together in Kigali, Roberts and Laign’s Rwandan escape promises to be a celebration not just of their marriage but of love, resilience, and shared adventures.
Pezeshkian made the remarks during a phone call with French President Emmanuel Macron, according to a statement from his office. In response to Macron’s call for restraint, Pezeshkian said the United States must face consequences for its attacks on Iran.
He described the U.S. strikes as a “clear symbol of its insincerity and the baselessness of its claims about favoring dialogue and seeking peace.”
Despite this, Pezeshkian stressed Iran’s continued commitment to diplomacy with Europe, saying, “We have always announced our readiness for dialogue and interaction with Europe and have never abandoned the path of diplomacy, as we maintain that nobody would suffer any harm from dialogue.”
Macron reiterated France’s willingness to pursue negotiations with Iran and said Paris would continue efforts to halt the conflict and restore stability, according to the statement.
U.S. President Donald Trump on Saturday announced on Truth Social that American forces had completed strikes on three Iranian nuclear sites, namely Fordow, Natanz, and Isfahan.
The U.S. strikes followed Israeli attacks launched since June 13 on various targets in Iran, including nuclear and military sites, killing several senior commanders, nuclear scientists, and civilians.
Iran has retaliated with missile and drone strikes on Israel. As of Saturday, more than 400 people have been killed and over 3,500 wounded in Iran, according to the Iranian Health Ministry. In Israel, authorities reported 24 fatalities.
A large number of Rwandans living in Israel are students, particularly those studying agriculture. Most of them have received scholarships through Israel’s MASHAV program, which is part of the country’s development aid efforts.
These students attend school one day a week, while the remaining days are spent working in the fields, often for up to eight hours. Each student has an agricultural expert assigned to them for guidance.
As the conflict intensifies between Israel and Iran, many countries have begun urging their citizens to return home as soon as possible. Those who are unable to leave have been advised to stay close to their embassies, where they can receive assistance in organizing their repatriation.
Although the Ministry of Foreign Affairs has not provided specific figures on the number of Rwandans in Israel and Iran, they assured that all Rwandans in both countries are safe.
“All Rwandans living in Iran and Israel are safe , but contingency plans are in place to ensure their orderly return if necessary,” an official from the ministry told IGIHE.
The Minister of Foreign Affairs Olivier Nduhungirehe recently told The East African that while Rwanda doesn’t have known nationals in Iran, efforts are underway to determine if any Rwandans are currently in the country.
Rwanda has a history of assisting its citizens during times of conflict, having previously repatriated Rwandans from conflict zones like Sudan during escalated violence. Other neighboring countries are also taking steps to evacuate their citizens from Israel and Iran.
Uganda, for example, has repatriated 48 of its citizens, primarily students, from both countries via neighboring states.
Uganda has reached out to countries like Turkey, Azerbaijan, and Jordan, requesting them to grant visas to Ugandan nationals fleeing the conflict. These individuals are being offered refuge and assistance as they leave Israel and Iran.
Meanwhile, many flights to and from Israel have been suspended. Ethiopian Airlines, which previously operated many of these flights from Sub-Saharan Africa, has canceled all its scheduled trips to the country.
The conflict has already claimed over 600 lives in Iran due to Israeli airstrikes, while 24 Israeli citizens have also lost their lives since the war began.
The Rwandan champions made the announcement on Sunday, June 22, 2025, through their official social media platforms, stating: “APR FC welcomes Dao R. Memel to the Army of Champions. Playmaker vibes on. Lion mode activated”
The 21-year-old joins from AS Sonabel Ouagadougou in Burkina Faso, where he had an impressive campaign last season, scoring five goals. His performances caught the attention of several clubs in the region, including Tanzania’s Singida Big Stars.
Dao, known for his creativity and attacking flair, recently featured for the Burkina Faso national team in their 2-0 defeat to Tunisia during a friendly played on June 2, 2025. He also stood out at the 2025 Mapinduzi Cup in Zanzibar, earning praise as one of the tournament’s top performers.
His arrival brings APR FC’s number of new signings to seven, following the acquisitions of Hakizimana Adolphe, Bugingo Hakim, Omborenga Fitina, Ronald Ssekiganda, Ngabonziza Pacifique, and Iraguha Hadji.
The military side is expected to make one final signing, a foreign striker, as they finalise their squad for the new campaign.
The introduction of the modern cleaning vehicle is the latest in a series of initiatives aimed at preserving Kigali’s reputation as a model city for urban management and environmental sustainability.
According to Emma-Claudine Ntirenganya, Director General in charge of Communication and Education at the City of Kigali, the vehicle is designed to sweep tarmacked roads in dirty areas using built-in brushes.
“It also has a method of cleaning roads without raising dust, by using a vacuum or suction system to remove dirt, debris, and loose materials from the road surface,” she said.
“The vehicle is equipped with a tank specifically designed to collect and store the waste it gathers, which is then transported to a designated disposal site.”
Ntirenganya added that the waste is discharged automatically and the vehicle includes “high-pressure hoses that can be used to wash a vehicle, such as cleaning the tyres when necessary, or washing the entire vehicle when it has come from a dirty area before entering paved roads.”
She also assured that the deployment of the new vehicle will not replace current road-cleaning staff.
“The workers will remain in their roles because the vehicle does not enter drainage channels or clean other edges of the road. It also does not clean around roadside flowerbeds,” she said, adding that “the vehicle operates from midnight, once traffic has reduced.”
The development comes as Kigali continues to draw praise for its cleanliness and innovative city management. Recognised for years as one of the cleanest cities in Africa, Kigali has consistently ranked highly in regional and international assessments.
In 2023, the city was named Africa’s premier smart city in the African Smart City Index. In July 2024, it ranked third among travellers’ favourite African cities.
“From urban planning to quality of life and business appeal, Kigali continues to set the bar high,” Ntirenganya said.
The city’s emphasis on cleanliness dates back over a decade. In 2007, Forbes named Kigali the cleanest city in Africa. A year later, it received the UN-Habitat Scroll of Honour Award. In 2018, UN Environment Programme Executive Director Erik Solheim described Kigali as “the cleanest city on the planet.”
City authorities credit these achievements to consistent environmental policies, including the 2008 plastic bag ban, as well as community initiatives such as Umuganda, a monthly national clean-up activity in which residents take part in maintaining public spaces.
WATCH:
Kigali has begun using a smart road-cleaning vehicle overnight as part of its strategy to sustain its status as one of Africa’s cleanest cities. #RBANewspic.twitter.com/tAi8Kh9s3S
— Rwanda Broadcasting Agency (RBA) (@rbarwanda) June 22, 2025