During end-of-year 2023 address, Burundian President Evariste Ndayishimiye said that his country would close borders with Rwanda , accusing the neighbouring country of supporting RED Tabara rebel group .
Rwanda vehemently rejected the allegations as unfounded, given that the areas where RED Tabara maneuvered through to attack Burundi , are not connected to Rwanda.
IGIHE has learnt from credible sources that all borders with Rwanda were closed from 13:00 p.m. on Thursday 11th January 2024.
The decision was taken by Burundian government but has not yet released a statement explaining reasons for the closure.
Some Rwandans who tried to cross to Burundi have told IGIHE that they were immediately forced to return to Rwanda.
IGIHE has, for instance, learnt that Ruhwa border connecting Rwanda through Bugarama sector in Rusizi District to Burundi, has been closed at 13:15 p.m.
During these hours, 35 Rwandans who tried to cross were handed back.
The fate of Rwandans running businesses in Burundi remains amidst the closure.
Rwanda-Burundi borders were last closed between 2015 and 2022.
Since then, both countries embarked on a new journey to normalize ties , even though Burundi insisted that it needs coup plot suspects who fled to Rwanda returned home.
However, Rwanda indicated that it would be against ratified international refugee convention.
This highly anticipated annual exhibition attracts over 100 countries and commenced on January 10, concluding on January 14, 2024. With an expected attendance of more than 100,000 visitors, 12,000 tourism companies, and over 1,100 exhibitors, the fair serves as a global platform for promoting tourism initiatives.
Representatives from Rwanda, including the Rwanda Development Board (RDB), RwandAir (the national carrier), Wanderlux Safaris, Blue Monkey Tours, Palast Tours & Travels and Mist Rwanda Safaris, are showcasing the country’s offerings at the event.
Olivier Nduhungirehe, Rwanda’s Ambassador in the Netherlands, expressed his delight at Rwanda’s continued participation in the fair, emphasizing the significance of promoting the Visit Rwanda brand.
He stated, “Rwanda has participated in this fair for the 12th time, showcasing the Visit Rwanda brand and other attractions that residents of the Netherlands, Belgium, and Luxembourg can explore.”
Highlighting the progress made in the tourism sector over the past 30 years since the Genocide against the Tutsi, Amb. Nduhungirehe underscored the importance of not just having appealing attractions but also effectively promoting them.
He credited the government’s efforts through RDB, citing the successful Visit Rwanda campaign that engaged major European football clubs like Paris Saint-Germain, Arsenal, and Bayern Munich to raise awareness about Rwanda.
Amb. Nduhungirehe noted the positive outcomes of these initiatives, with increased cooperation between Rwanda and major football teams since 2018, resulting in a significant rise in tourism revenue and heightened international interest in visiting Rwanda.
Ariella Kageruka, Head of Tourism and Conservation at RDB, expressed satisfaction with Rwanda’s participation in the exhibition, describing it as a valuable opportunity to showcase the nation’s rich tourism resources.
She emphasized the chance for tourism service providers to strengthen collaborations within the joint market of Belgium, the Netherlands, and Luxembourg—a region that contributes significantly to Rwanda’s tourist influx.
The previous Vakantiebeurs fair attracted over 65,000 visitors in its five days, and organizers anticipate a strong return rate of at least 65% for the 2024 edition.
Rwanda’s presence at this international platform continues to play a pivotal role in attracting global attention to its diverse and captivating tourist destinations.
According to the revised law, the land tax has been scaled down from 0 to 80 Rwandan Francs per square meter, compared to the previous range of 0 to 300 Rwandan Francs per square meter. This translates to the highest tax rate not exceeding Rwf80 per square meter, a substantial reduction from the previous Rwf300. The tax rates exhibit a gradient, with higher rates in the City of Kigali gradually decreasing towards rural areas.
Under the new legislation, the tax on residential houses has been halved, transitioning from 1% to 0.5% of the house’s value. Moreover, the tax on both houses and land has been amalgamated into a unified tax structure, as highlighted by Dr. Uzziel Ndagijimana, the Minister of Finance and Economic Planning, in an interview with RBA.
Dr. Ndagijimana explained, “We unified the tax on the house and land, where previously, individuals paid 1% of the house’s value and a land tax ranging from zero to 300 depending on the location. Now, there is a single tax of 0.5% on the combined value of the house and land.”
He clarified that individuals with multiple houses can choose one for tax exemption, although the land associated with it will continue to be taxed.
In addition to these changes, the government has eliminated fees for various processes, including land transfers, land ownership certificates, and land registration certificates. Fees for building repair, renovation, fence construction, and building permits in rural areas have also been removed.
Minister of Local Government, Jean Claude Musabyimana underscored additional modifications, clarifying that fees for various supplementary documents, including birth and death certificates, have been abolished. Similarly, permits for activities such as burning charcoal, manufacturing bricks and tiles, and forest harvesting are no longer subject to charges. Despite these services being exempt from fees, applicants are still required to formally initiate requests for them.
The adjustments to land taxes and associated fees address longstanding controversies, with claims of excessive taxation prompting calls for reductions. The government’s move aims to create a more balanced and favorable taxation framework for property owners across the country.
During his conversation with parliamentarians, Dr. Nsanzimana highlighted the high volume of migration requests, attributing it to the nature of the healthcare profession, where individuals often find themselves working far from their homes based on clinic locations. He emphasized that a significant portion, around 70%, wish to move, seeking transfers to more convenient locations.
While acknowledging the challenges, he assured that efforts would be made to address the situation and return transfer requests as the workforce in the sector expands.
The minister explained, “We have a considerable number of applicants for relocation. Given the nature of our profession, individuals frequently work at a considerable distance from their residences, depending on health facilities’ locations.
Approximately 70% of our workforce wishes to relocate, requesting transfers from their current positions. Although we cannot fulfill all the requests simultaneously, we endeavor to accommodate them whenever possible to promote the well-being of the workers and their families.”
Dr. Nsanzimana reassured Parliament that as the workforce in the health sector grows, efforts will be made to meet the demand for transfers, benefiting the overall organization.
He added, “We will persist in our endeavors. Moreover, we are establishing training schools across the country, including in Rusizi and Nyagatare, allowing individuals to study near their homes and subsequently work in proximity to their residences.”
The proposed changes involve the relocation of various hospital services to different areas as part of a phased approach to facilitate the upcoming construction project.
Dr. Nsanzimana outlined the forthcoming developments, stating that the existing yellow storey building near the Musanze-Rubavu highway would be demolished to make way for the new hospital. The construction is expected to extend from the current location to the adjacent premises.
Addressing the committee, Dr. Nsanzimana emphasized the need for the relocation of certain services to facilitate the removal of existing structures, stating, “As we embark on the construction of the new Ruhengeri Hospital, certain services will be moved to other hospitals to facilitate the removal of buildings. Among them is the yellow-painted building along the road, which is slated for removal.”
Highlighting specific plans, the Minister stated, “Our strategy involves maintaining midwifery and pediatric services at the current location, while all other services will be relocated. Shyira Hospital has been identified as one of the relocation sites due to available space and existing shared services. This strategic move aims to minimize inconvenience for the local community by ensuring accessible healthcare services without the need for long journeys.”
The redevelopment project is scheduled to commence in June 2024, with an estimated cost of Rwf103 billion. The planned changes signify a significant step toward enhancing healthcare infrastructure in the region while strategically managing the transition of services during the construction period.
Both houses of the Italian parliament supported the resolution, with the lower house casting 195 votes in favor, 50 against and 55 abstentions. A few hours later, the Senate recorded 103 votes in favor, 24 against and 27 abstentions.
In a change to previous resolutions of support in Italy, the vote also called for the Italian government to support “all diplomatic efforts” to negotiate an end to the conflict as long as those efforts lead to a “lasting” and “balanced” peace.
Italy is among the countries sending military equipment to Ukraine since the start of the conflict. Public support for aid to Ukraine from European Union member states has eroded in recent months.
Part of a package agreement, the second part of the grain initiative, which provides solutions to problems related to maritime logistics, freight, insurance, and connecting the Russian Agricultural Bank to the SWIFT payment system, saw no positive changes, said Abramchenko in an interview with local media.
She said that the Russian diplomatic department has continued to work on the grain deal, but there are few prospects for its resumption.
Russian President Vladimir Putin said that the conditions of the deal with Russia were not met, and the main goal of the deal — the supply of grain to needy countries, including African ones — was not achieved.
The Black Sea Grain Initiative is a part of a package agreement, signed by representatives of Russia, Türkiye, Ukraine, and the United Nations on July 22, 2022, allowing food and fertilizer exports from Russia and Ukraine through the Black Sea.
Moscow suspended its participation in the agreement on July 17, 2023, saying that it would return to the deal as soon as the Russian part of the agreement is fulfilled.
The rejection was reiterated during a trilateral summit held in Jordan’s Aqaba, where King Abdullah II of Jordan, Egyptian President Abdel-Fattah al-Sisi, and Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas also called for international condemnation of and actions against such plans.
They stressed the need for continuing pressure on Israel to stop its aggression on Gaza and protect the innocent civilians in the strip, according to a statement by Jordan’s Royal Hashemite Court.
Meanwhile, the Egyptian president called for “a decisive stance” from the international community to push for a ceasefire in the besieged enclave and explained the efforts made by Egypt to open dialogue with all concerned parties to reach a truce agreement in Gaza.
The leaders also expressed complete rejection of any attempts to liquidate the Palestine issue and to separate Gaza and the West Bank, both of which are integral parts of the Palestinian state, the statement added.
At the summit, the three leaders reiterated the importance of ensuring sufficient delivery of humanitarian aid to Gaza to alleviate the dire humanitarian situation in the enclave.
King Abdullah II, Sisi and Abbas also voiced “complete rejection of any attempts to reoccupy parts of Gaza,” stressing the necessity of “enabling the people of the Gaza Strip to return to their homes.”
Noting Israel’s hostilities in the West Bank, as well as its violations of Islamic and Christian sanctities in Jerusalem, the leaders warned that such actions could escalate tensions in the region.
The three heads of state agreed to continue working together in coordination with Arab and influential countries to find a political horizon for resolving the Palestine issue to achieve a just and comprehensive peace based on a two-state solution, which entails restoring the legitimate rights of the Palestinian people and ensuring the establishment of their independent and sovereign state on the 1967 border and with East Jerusalem as its capital.
Before the summit, the Jordanian king held separate meetings with the Egyptian and Palestinian presidents to discuss efforts toward an immediate ceasefire in Gaza.
The Aqaba summit was held while U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken is on a tour in the Middle East over the conflict in Gaza. He has so far visited Türkiye, Greece, Jordan, Qatar, the United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia, Israel, the West Bank and Bahrain, and is expected to conclude his trip with a stop in Cairo on Thursday.
In the wake of President Habyarimana Juvénal’s death, the 1994 Genocide against the Tutsi openly erupted across Rwanda. Mayors in various regions actively encouraged the erection of road blocks, branding Tutsis as enemies of the state. The then Nyamabuye Commune’s Mayor, Harerimana Thomas, however, took a different stance. He convened a meeting with cell and sector leaders, asserting that the Inkotanyi were not foreigners but Rwandans denied their rights, expelled, and now returning home.
Hatangimbabazi Augustin, head of cell Kirimahwa in Gatenzi Sector, implemented Harerimana’s directive to abstain from placing citizens at road blocks. Upon Harerimana’s resignation, Mayor Ruzigana Emmanuel assumed leadership, intensifying the encouragement of Hutus to kill Tutsis.
The cell committee members, including Hatangimbabazi, found themselves at the forefront of the genocide orchestrated by extremist Hutus.
On April 11, 1994, as the sun dipped below the horizon, the residents of Nyamabuye witnessed the ominous arrival of two tanks headed to the RIAM Center (now RMI), where government officials used to undergo training.
“The Abatabazi government arrived while we were at the road block, casting suspicion upon us. Gendarmes were immediately dispatched to inspect. People were dying horrendously, and we were falsely accused by a member of the Interahamwe militia, Diogène Twahirwa,” lamented Hatangimbabazi.
Swiftly, the government organized a vehicle to transport cell leaders, converging gendarmes and militia to carry out mass killings across Nyamabuye Commune.
Renowned Rwandan politician Boniface Rucagu once posited that the Abatabazi government strategically established a base in Gitarama to mobilize residents for the systematic extermination of Tutsis. Genocide survivors in Kabgayi attest to the leaders’ insidious role in fomenting hatred and orchestrating mass killings.
The aftermath of April 12, 1994, witnessed the ruthless conduct of law enforcement and military personnel. Policemen consumed alcohol without payment, soldiers indulged in excess, and looting became rampant. Hatangimbabazi, a tailor, found himself coerced into sewing shorts for the fleeing elite using stolen fabrics.
As the Abatabazi government’s tenure in Gitarama unfolded, it revealed a callous disregard for its people. Delayed provisions, unpaid debts, and looting by gendarmes further exposed the leadership’s lack of empathy.
The government’s brief stay in Gitarama came to an end in late April 1994, with Radio Rwanda persistently misleading the public about their actual location. Fleeing the advancing RPF-Inkotanyi forces, the government sought refuge in Gisenyi, eventually escaping to the Democratic Republic of Congo.
Hatangimbabazi vividly recalls the leaders urging the populace to continue fighting against the Inkotanyi, revealing a chilling mindset that viewed the people as expendable in the face of their imminent defeat.
Now, as a reformed individual who served more than ten years for his role in the genocide, Hatangimbabazi dedicates himself to educating others about Rwanda’s tragic history, fostering understanding and healing in the Macyera cell where he resides.
During his recent three-day visit to Rwanda which he concluded on Tuesday 9th, King Abdullah II bin Al-Hussein was welcomed by President Paul Kagame. Despite his age, the king maintains a youthful appearance, partly attributed to his commanding presence and the fact that his attire , unlike many leaders, is not a distant ‘costume’ but rather suits him like that of a contemporary young man. This deviation is often linked to his military background, a career he pursued diligently.
Born on January 30, 1962, in Amman, Jordan, King Abdullah II is the son of King Hussein and belongs to the Hashemite lineage, considered ancestors of the Messenger of God, Muhammad.
With 10 siblings, including six sisters and four brothers, he attended the Islamic Educational College for primary school, followed by secondary education in England and the United States.
In 1980, King Abdullah II commenced his military studies at the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst. Notably, he shares this alma mater with Gen Muhoozi Kainerugaba, the son of President Museveni, and Ian Kagame, the son of President Kagame. Continuing his academic journey, he spent a year specializing in International Politics at Oxford University in 1984.
Returning to Jordan after his studies, he embarked on a military career, earning the rank of Captain and later becoming a certified pilot for the Cobra Combat Helicopter. Furthering his education at Georgetown University in Washington in 1987, he continued to rise through the military ranks, culminating in his appointment as Commander of the Special Forces in the Jordanian Army in 1997.
In 1993, King Abdullah II married Queen Rania, and they have two children. His role in international politics gained prominence, particularly during the conflict between Israel and Hamas.
In November 2023, following Israel’s actions in Gaza, Jordan took a strong stance by summoning its ambassador and expressing concerns about war crimes.
King Abdullah II demonstrated his commitment to peace during his visit to Kigali Genocide Memorial in Rwanda. Reflecting on the 1994 Genocide against the tutsi, he emphasized the importance of intervening to prevent atrocities.
The King also hinted at the ongoing conflicts such as the war in Gaza where he urged the world to take action and find solutions to prevent further loss of innocent lives, emphasizing the need for a two-state solution to the Israel-Palestine conflict.