The exercise, dubbed “Exercise Steadfast Defender 2024,” is scheduled to commence next week and will extend through May. All NATO’s 31 members and Sweden will participate in the maneuvers, Cavoli told a press briefing in Brussels following a two-day NATO military chiefs of defense meeting.
Regarding the ongoing conflict between Russia and Ukraine, Rob Bauer, chair of the NATO Military Committee, said that “There is back and forth in the front” and “Both sides are now in a phase where it is not moving a lot forward one way or the other.”
This statement was made during an interview with The Guardian on Wednesday, January 17, 2024, in Davos, Switzerland, where he was attending the World Economic Forum.
The Guardian journalist questioned President Kagame about his perspective on the ongoing political and legal obstacles around the deal with his country, Kagame said: “Ask the UK – it is the UK’s problem, not Rwanda’s problem.”
When asked about the fate of the money spent by the UK for the program, he stated that the money will be used for deportees where he suggested a possibility for a refund if the deal fails.
This statement comes after the revelation that the British bill classifying Rwanda as a safe country still requires improvements to address all its shortcomings. It was also supported by a vote within the ruling party.
While many members of the ruling party support the transfer of immigrants to Rwanda, they call for a thorough review and update of the bill to avoid compromising the program. Additionally, members of the British Labour Party believe that this project should be rejected as it would not provide a sustainable solution to the immigration issue.
President Kagame emphasized that discussions on this program have a limited duration to prevent them from dragging on. On June 11, 2022, a few hours before a plane carrying immigrants from the UK to Rwanda was scheduled to depart, the European Court of Human Rights suspended the project, delaying the journey.
Rwandan Government spokeswoman Yolande Makolo affirmed the country’s position, emphasizing that there is ‘no obligation’ to return the funds received under the Migration and Economic Development Partnership.
However, she acknowledged the possibility of considering a refund if the UK government formally requests it, in the event of the migrant deal failing.
In an official statement, Makolo stated, “The funds paid to Rwanda under the Migration and Economic Development Partnership are intended to both support Rwanda’s economic development, and to allow us to prepare to receive and care for the migrants when they arrive.
Under the terms of the agreement, Rwanda has no obligation to return any of the funds paid. However, if no migrants come to Rwanda under the scheme, and the UK government wishes to request a refund of the portion of the funding allocated to support the migrants, we will consider this request.”
She went on to say that talking about figures at this point is premature, as the government is still awaiting the conclusion of the UK legislative process and ‘remain committed to making the partnership work’.
At the end of last year, Rwanda and the UK signed a new agreement in response to the flaws pointed out by the British Supreme Court, which had ruled that the initial program was not in accordance with the law. This agreement was signed by the UK Home Secretary, James Cleverly, and Rwanda’s Minister of Foreign Affairs, Dr. Vincent Biruta.
In December 2023, the British Parliament voted in favor of sending migrants to Rwanda, with 313 members approving the project against 269. Rishi Sunak’s “Rwandan plan” on immigration thus passed a significant stage in Parliament.
During the second vote on Wednesday, January 17, 2024, in the House of Commons, 320 members voted in favor , and 276 against. The bill was then sent to the House of Lords for final approval.
Gen Mubarakh Muganga, the RDF Chief of Defence Staff (CDS) officiated at the graduation ceremony on behalf of the Commander-in-Chief of RDF, President Paul Kagame.
The CDS congratulated the graduates and emphasized the importance of maintaining discipline and morale in everything they do.
He said that the advanced combat skills acquired will greatly enhance graduates’ performance in fulfilling RDF duties.
Gen MK Mubarakh awarded the best performers from the training course.
The Advanced Infantry Training is a comprehensive program designed to expand on skills acquired at the basic military course.
The casualties were identified as Colonel Castro Mberabagabo, responsible for intelligence and relations with M23 and its supporters, and Colonel Erasto Bahati, an advisor to General Sultan Makenga, who succumbed to injuries on Tuesday.
According to Major Willy Ngoma, M23 military spokesperson, the killing of these soldiers was seen as a provocation by the Congolese forces, despite a previous agreement to cease hostilities.
Major Ngoma emphasized the crucial roles played by the deceased M23 members in supporting and comforting the local population during conflicts, highlighting the significant gap their loss has left within the movement.
In response, Major Ngoma accused the DRC State Army of initiating the attack, stating, “They came to attack us. Then two officers were involved in comforting the people, like when the government dropped bombs on houses, hospitals, and schools, men who lived close to the people, listened to the people, helped them, they were brave commanders, they killed them.”
He issued a warning of consequences for the Congolese forces, stating, “They will pay a heavy price. We are strong, we are ready for our purpose. This is seeking death. They did what they shouldn’t have done. We are prepared as professional soldiers.”
The DRC army, with the support of the Southern African Community (SADC), declared its readiness to swiftly expel M23 from the areas it has occupied, urging the displaced population to trust their efforts.
The University of Kigali’s Board of Promoters, management and staff take this opportunity to recognize and appreciate the 7 CAT students who emerged the best nationally and all UoK CAT students for achieving results above the national pass rates.
The exemplary performance by UoK students in the just-released results is a testimony to the quality tuition that is provided at the University. The success is attributed to the adequate, competent and high-quality teaching staff with international experience who deliver the professional courses.
The University further provides study notes and past examination question banks to all students registered for professional courses. Additionally, UoK offers discount on tuition fees to all internal undergraduate and graduate students pursuing professional programmes.
As a result of the standards implemented, UoK has consistently delivered pass rates which are above the national pass rates in exams over the past 14 examination sittings. These high pass rates are a major contributor to the increase in the enrollment of students pursuing professional programmes.
The continuous choice of UoK at every examination sitting by both private and Government sponsored staff is an evidence of the vital role UoK plays in the enhancement of professional capacity-building in Rwanda and the entire East African Region.
The University in partnership with the Government of Rwanda has also been offering Certified Public Accounting (CPA) and Certified Accounting Technician (CAT) training to all Government Accountants and Internal Auditors. From August 2016 to date, the programme has attracted over 3,000 Government Staff. Apart from the certification, it is proven that all the staff who have gone through the tuition process have had a significant increase in productivity and the country has benefited tremendously.
UoK is committed to enhancing training, professionalism and capacity-building across all Public Financial Management (PFM) disciplines. The University is fostering valuable partnerships with relevant stakeholders to continuously ensure that this huge deficit is filled.
The university has encouraged all and sundry to register for professional education at University of Kigali. Registration for the May ICPAR exams is in progress. Classes will start on 9th February, 2024. Interested individuals can call: +250 781 833 731 for professional programmes admissions
Registration for undergraduate and graduate programmes is also ongoing. Individuals are requested to apply online via: mis.uok.ac.rw/apply or Call: +250 788 303 386/ +250 789 009 221/ /+ 250 788 669 642.
Ecobank is a proud official sponsor of the TotalEnergies CAF Africa Cup of Nations Côte d’Ivoire 2023 and is leveraging the unifying, exhilarating, and progressive spirit of African football to demonstrate its commitment to the continent’s sustainable growth. The campaign highlights Ecobank’s drive to empower its clients and customers to achieve their goals for a better future and therefore a better Africa.
Jeremy Awori, Chief Executive Officer, Ecobank Group, said: “At Ecobank, we drive growth in Africa by our delivery of affordable, reliable, and innovative financial services to our clients and customers, while making a significant contribution to Africa’s development. ‘A Better way : A Better Africa’ reflects our unwavering dedication to our continent. Driven by our commitment to continuous improvement, we deliver enhanced financial services, greater customer experience, and more customer-centric solutions.”
This brand campaign is based on the results of an extensive pan-African brand survey, addressing the perspectives and opportunities shared during the research.
Jeremy Awori added: “Our pan-African purpose and single gateway platform, as well as the diversity of our leading workforce operating from 35 countries, position us as an enabler and partner for our clients and customers to identify and seize new opportunities.”
The campaign also highlights Ecobank’s digital network and its continent-wide connectivity, including its unified payment ecosystem, which supports market access and business growth, while capitalising on the opportunities presented by the African Continental Free Trade Area (AfCFTA).
The fully integrated campaign features a diverse mix of digital and traditional media and includes a television commercial filmed on the continent. Following the TotalEnergies CAF Africa Cup of Nations Côte d’Ivoire 2023, the campaign will continue to be rolled out across Africa.
{{About Ecobank Group (or ‘Ecobank Transnational Incorporated’ or ‘ETI’)}}
Ecobank Group is the leading private pan-African banking group with unrivalled African expertise. Present in 35 sub-Saharan African countries, as well as France, the UK, UAE and China, its unique pan-African platform provides a single gateway for payments, cash management, trade and investment. The Group employs over 14,000 people and offers Consumer, Commercial, Corporate and Investment Banking products, services and solutions across multiple channels, including digital, to over 32 million customers. For further information, please visit ecobank.com.
Dr. Twagirashema Ivan, the Deputy CEO of RMB, recently briefed Members of Parliament on the ongoing exploration efforts. He emphasized the substantial financial investment required for such exploration, stating, “The research started a long time ago. We have started research which is also time-consuming.”
The initial phase involved analyzing mud samples taken from Lake Kivu, an 800-meter long body of water. Dr. Twagirashema explained, “First, they analyze the muds under Lake Kivu… The result gives you the idea that there may be oil in the lakebed.”
Building upon this analysis, RMB researchers employed technology to identify 13 potential oil-rich locations within Lake Kivu. Dr. Twagirashema clarified, “We’ve gone to the second stage now of using technology that helps to go into the interior of the Earth… It gives you proof, and tells you that in two miles of the Earth’s interior, we have found something similar to oil.”
Despite the progress, the next step involves deploying a machine to the lake’s bottom to extract a sample for further analysis. However, this undertaking comes with a hefty price tag—each hole drilled costs a staggering 15 million dollars.
Dr. Twagirashema cautioned against premature optimism, noting that even if oil is present, extracting it might be more economically viable from foreign sources. He highlighted the potential challenges and expenses associated with the extraction process, stating, “One hole is 15 million dollars… getting it from underground could be more expensive than getting it from abroad.”
Understanding the intricacies of oil extraction becomes essential in evaluating the feasibility of this venture. While three-quarters of the Earth is covered by water bodies, most oil and natural gas deposits are found underwater. Extracting these resources is both difficult and expensive, necessitating specialized equipment and stringent environmental precautions.
Historically, the first underwater oil drilling took place in 1986 off the coast of California, USA. Advances in drilling techniques have since evolved. In the case of Lake Kivu, Gaz Methane is the preferred method due to shared equipment requirements between the two activities.
The extraction process involves creating a deep hole underground, preparing a tank, and utilizing specialized equipment to draw oil from beneath the water. Dr. Twagirashema outlined the complexity of the process, emphasizing that the oil may sometimes be as hard as stone, requiring additional measures to facilitate extraction such as a pipe to pull it from down like someone pulling a drink using a straw.
He concluded, “The journey is in progress and has reached a certain point, but you would not confirm its existence as it is still early.”
The bill, key to the government’s Rwanda plan, passed the House of Commons with 320 votes in favor and 276 votes against on Wednesday. It will now go to the House of Lords, Parliament’s upper chamber, for its first reading.
“The passing of the bill tonight marks a major step in our plan to stop the boats,” said a spokesperson for the prime minister’s office.
In April 2022, Britain reached a deal with Rwanda, under which illegal immigrants and asylum seekers would be sent to the East African country to have their claims processed there. If successful, they would be granted permanent residency in Rwanda rather than being allowed to return to Britain.
However, the scheme has met with resistance. The first flight scheduled to take seven migrants to Rwanda in June 2022 was canceled after intervention by the European Court of Human Rights. Two months ago, Britain’s Supreme Court ruled that the government’s scheme was unlawful.
The British government later introduced emergency legislation known as the Safety of Rwanda Bill that would override domestic and international human rights laws.
A vote on amendments to the bill on Tuesday revealed the division and rebellion facing the prime minister in his governing Conservative Party, as some 60 Conservative MPs voted against the government.
In addition, three Conservative lawmakers, including two deputy chairmen of the party, resigned Tuesday evening over the vote on the amendments.
Keir Starmer, leader of the main opposition Labour Party, said earlier Wednesday that Sunak has been “brutally exposed by his own MPs yet again” and called the government’s plan “a farce.”
The British government said that it has given Rwanda 240 million British pounds (about 304 million U.S. dollars) under the scheme.
In a press statement, Faki said he has appointed Mohamed Ibn Chambas, Speciosa Wandira-Kazibwe and Francisco Madeira as members of the AU High Level panel on Sudan.
Ibn Chambas is a Ghanaian diplomat with several decades of experience particularly in the United Nations, while Wandira-Kazibwe is a former vice president of Uganda.
Madeira is a Mozambican diplomat who has previously served in various national and AU roles.
“The appointment, which takes effect immediately, is in line with the conclusion of the AU Peace and Security Council and in furtherance of the AU’s mandate and determination to entrench peace and stability on the Continent,” Faki said in a statement.
The members of the AU High-Level Panel will work with all the Sudanese stakeholders: all civilian forces, military belligerents and regional and global actors including IGAD, the UN, the League of Arab States, to ensure an all-inclusive process towards the swift restoration of peace, constitutional order and stability in Sudan, the statement said.
Sudan has been witnessing deadly clashes between the Sudanese Armed Forces and the RSF since April 15, 2023.
More than 12,000 people have been killed, and over 7.4 million have been displaced inside and outside Sudan since the fighting broke out, according to the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs.
On Wednesday, January 17, Minister Gasana and Sheikh Khalifa bin Hamad bin Khalifa Al-Thani, the Minister of Interior and Commander of Lekhwiya Force of Qatar, oversaw the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding between CG Namuhoranye and the Director-General of Public Security of Qatar, Maj. Gen. Abdullah bin Mohammed Al Suwaidi, to formalize partnership on security between institutions under their portfolio.
The cooperation pact outlines partnership in security and crime control, including fighting terrorism, transnational organized crime, human and drug trafficking, trafficking of firearms and explosives, money laundering, cybercrime and corruption, among others.
Minister Gasana and his counterpart, Sheikh Khalifa, also reviewed bilateral cooperation in security fields and discussed ways expedite them.
The Rwandan delegation will also attend the graduation ceremony of the 6th batch of junior officers from the Police College.