“The cabinet approved a host country agreement between the Government of Rwanda and FIFA Development Zurich AG,” reads part of resolutions.
Through the FIFA Forward Programme, FIFA enables football to grow globally and promotes the best possible conditions for football development worldwide.
FIFA Forward is built to provide 360-degree, tailor-made support for football development in each of our member associations and the six confederations.
In a bid to decentralize services and enhance efficiency among beneficiaries, FIFA has opened offices in different countries across the world and African countries including Senegal, South Africa and Ethiopia.
Following the successful implementation of the first edition of the FIFA Forward Development Programme 2016-2018, “FIFA Forward 1.0”, the second edition, “FIFA Forward 2.0” came into force on 1 January 2019 and will run until 31 December 2022.
FIFA seeks to inject almost US$3 million in the programme by 2022.
Since inception of FIFA Forward in 2016, the organization has opened new offices in many countries including India, New Zealand, Panama, Paraguay, Barbados and United Arab Emirates.
The resolution is part of other stringent measures taken to control the up surging COVID-19 cases and deaths.
The meeting held at Village Urugwiro was chaired by Premier, Dr Edouard Ngirente.
Since Rwanda confirmed the first COVID-19 patient on 14th March last year, 8848 people have been tested positive out of 741,036 sample tests of whom 6816 have recovered, 1927 are active cases while 105 have succumbed to the virus.
Following the increase of new infections and deaths where half of current death toll was reported in December 2020, the cabinet meeting has set stringent measures to control the pandemic.
Among other resolutions, all business establishments including restaurants, markets, shops and malls shall close operations daily by 6pm.
As for transport restrictions, the cabinet meeting decided that travel will only be permitted for medical reasons and essential services. Additionally, vehicles transporting goods will continue to function with no more than two people on board.
Other measures include prohibiting movements from 8pm to 4am, domestic and international tourists may travel across districts but must possess negative COVID-19 test results, institutions (public and private) will operate at no more than 30% capacity of staff while other employees shall continue to work from home on rotational basis.
All social gatherings and events including religious weddings ceremonies, receptions, meetings and conferences are prohibited, public gyms and swimming pools shall be restricted from the public with exception of testes guests staying at hotels.
Attendance at wake/vigil (ikiriyo) should not exceed 15 people at any one time while funeral gatherings should not exceed 30 persons.
These measures take effect starting Tuesday, January 5th 2021 and will be reviewed after 15 days upon a health assessment.
Coronavirus symptoms include coughing, flu, and difficulty in breathing. The virus is said to be transmitted through the mucous membranes of the respiratory tract.
Rwandans are urged to adhere to COVID-19 health guidelines, washing hands frequently using soaps and safe water, wearing face masks and respecting social distancing.
The suspects include Ntakirutimana Edison,42, (Kinama village leader in Nyamagana cell of Ruhango sector in Ruhango district, Southern Province); Nyabyenda Philbert, 20; Gatoya Jacques,22; and Ntakirutimana Jackson, a businessman running a shop in the area.
IGIHE has learnt that the murder is connected to clashes between Ntakirutimana Jackson and Niyongira Zabulon. It is said that Niyongira failed to pay the balance of Rwf 300 he owed Ntakirutima who connived with colleagues to beat the young man to death.
“He immediately succumbed to beatings. The young man who doesn’t live in this area came to drink at his home. After failing to pay the balance of Rwf 300, he was called thief and beaten to death,” said one resident.
RIB spokesperson, Dr Murangira B. Thierry has told IGIHE that these men have been arrested as investigation is underway.
“These men are detained at Ruhango RIB station as investigation is underway to file the case to Prosecution. More suspects are on the run,” he said.
Dr Murangira appealed on residents to alert leaders to solve clashes instead of self-administered justice and warned local leaders involved in such acts.
“Some local leaders including security patrol agents, village leaders, and cell and sector executive secretaries have been reportedly involved in violent acts beating residents who sometimes succumb to injuries. Such brutal acts should be avoided,” he noted.
Article 140 of Rwanda’s penal code stipulates that willingly killing a person attracts life sentence.
Central African Republic President Faustin-Archange Touadera has won re-election after the first round of voting, the electoral commission announced on Monday.
The 63-year-old incumbent won “an absolute majority” of the December 27 vote with 53.9 percent and is “declared elected”, National Elections Authority (ANE) chief Mathias Morouba told reporters.
In a field of 15 contenders, the runner-up was former prime minister Anicet Georges Dologuele, who scored 21.01 percent, Morouba said.
The constitutional court will validate the result after any disputes are resolved. Last Wednesday, the opposition called for the vote to be annulled, calling it badly flawed.
Dologuele immediately cried foul, telling AFP: “It’s a farce. There were many irregularities and instances of fraud.”
The presidential election, which coincided with legislative polls, took place against the backdrop of a new offensive by a coalition of armed rebel groups, with thousands of voters unable to cast their ballots.
According to official figures, voting did not take place at all in 29 of the country’s 71 sub-prefectures and was curtailed in six others.
However, the ANE reported on Monday that turnout had reached 76.31 percent.
Touadera’s government controls only about one-third of the former French colony, with militia groups that emerged from a conflict in 2013 controlling the remainder.
Earlier on Monday, CAR prosecutors said an investigation had been launched into former president Francois Bozize, accused by the government of plotting a coup with the help of armed groups ahead of the elections.
Among others, 172 new cases have been found out of 2251 sample tests while 64 have recovered.
The statement released last night shows that new cases were found in Kigali: 146, Rubavu: 7, Kayonza: 6, Rusizi: 3, Nyamasheke: 2, Nyamagabe: 1, Huye: 1, Muhanga: 1, Ruhango: 1, Gisagara: 1, Bugesera: 1, Musanze: 1 and Kirehe: 1.
Rwanda confirmed the first COVID-19 patient on 14th March 2020. Since then, 8848 people have been tested positive out of 741,036 sample tests of whom 6816 have recovered, 1927 are active cases while 105 have succumbed to the pandemic.
Coronavirus symptoms include coughing, flu, and difficulty in breathing. The virus is said to be transmitted through the mucous membranes of the respiratory tract.
Rwandans are urged to adhere to COVID-19 health guidelines, washing hands frequently using soaps and safe water, wearing face masks and respecting social distancing.
Responding to their queries via twitter handle, Dr Sebaganwa explained that the schedule will be announced soon.
“Thank you for raising reasonable worries. The Ministry of Education and REB are making preparations that we will share reopening schedule in short time,” he said.
After the first Coronavirus patient was diagnosed in Rwanda in March 2020, the Government ordered the closure of all schools that saw all students returning home.
Universities and higher learning institutions were allowed to reopen in September 2020 under strict COVID-19 control measures.
In October 2020, the Ministry of Education announced 2nd November as the reopening date for learners in primary 5 and 6 classes. Students from ordinary level, senior 5 and 6 also resumed studies the same day.
The second batch started the second term on 23rd November 2020. This includes learners in primary 4 classes, and secondary school students from senior 1, 2 and 4.
The current MINEDUC timetable shows that students will start the third term on 19th March 2021 to end on 9th July 2021.
The second term’s holidays will run from 3rd April to 15th April 2021. Finalists in primary schools, ordinary level and senior six are expected to sit for national exams in July 2021.
Traders explain that extended curfew hours reduced time exhibitors and clients had to spend at the expo ground in Gikondo and some banned activities all reduced the propensity to buy.
Kalisa Umri who was showcasing decorative accessories explained that many buyers used to visit the expo after working hours but for this time would find grounds closed around 6pm.
“We were obliged to leave by the time clients usually visit the expo. It didn’t go well compared to the previous exhibitions. For instance, I paid Rwf 7 million for a stand expecting to get Rwf 10 million from sales but recovered Rwf 2 million only. This evidences how exhibitors experienced huge losses,” he said.
Manirareba Theophile, an employee at TECNO mobile also highlighted that the directive to close the expo at 6pm reduced clients’ participation and buying potential.
“Generally, there was minimal participation but those who got time to visit our stands left some coins. Things didn’t go well like the previous year but we understand the reasons considering the current context when Coronavirus has hit the world affecting many activities,” he said.
Entertainment activities were banned at the 2020 expo as part of COVID-19 preventive measures. Manirareba explained that such activities would attract large number of visitors coming with kids and later visited different stands to shop.
He said the directives also reduced expected number of visitors.
The spokesperson of the Private Sector Federation (PSF), Ntagengerwa Theoneste said the federation should not be blamed for losses noting that some exhibitors made sales that they have started booking stands for the next edition.
“Based on feedback from exhibitors we spoke to, no one claimed huge losses that would push them to close down businesses. Only beer companies and others providing entertainment services were affected but we interacted with them that no one can attribute his loss to PSF. He/she might have earned minimal profits but without losses,” he said.
The 23rd International Trade Fair that ran runs from 11th to 31st December 2020 was attended by 382 exhibitors including 73 foreigners.
It was organized under strict COVID-19 control measures that banned the attendance of beer companies.
All expo goers were required to pay by digital means; children below 12 were not allowed to attend while physical entertainment activities were also prohibited as part of ongoing measures to curb the spread of Covid-19 pandemic.
On Saturday around 4 am, gunfire was heard in the northern part of Bangui capital city as rebel groups attacked Damara county, 76 kilometers away from Bangui.
It is reported that rebels attacked Damara town in the wee hours, confronted CAR forces which failed to repel them back until nearby RDF soldiers intervened and killed some of them.
CAR Defense Minister has revealed that many attackers lost lives but did not precise the exact number. IGIHE has learnt that over 30 attackers were killed on ground while 2 of CAR soldiers died during the attack.
Following an hour of fighting, the rebels were defeated that the situation returned to normal and brought calm in the region.
CAR Defense Minister, Koyara has thanked the President of Rwanda, Paul Kagame for commitment to secure CAR citizens against attackers who wanted to kill them and disrupt elections.
“As you know, our military is rebuilding. With fast response, this partner country [Rwanda] through existing agreements, committed to help fellow soldiers to protect civilians. I can’t find enough words to explain gratefulness except vote of thanks, voicing appreciation to President of the Republic and Rwandans for the act of humanity that other African countries should learn from,” she said.
Minister Koyara explained that existing forces serving under the United Nations Multidimensional Integrated Stabilization Mission in the Central African Republic (MINUSCA) were not enough compared to the enormity of the country that pushed for the need to request reinforcement among countries including Rwanda.
“You know that MINUSCA has over 10,000 peacekeepers, the country has a total land area of 627,000 square kilometers and our military is rebuilding. This is a good opportunity to let you know that some sanctions against CAR military are still valid. The military without enough equipment cannot protect its citizens adequately,” she noted.
Koyara revealed that MINUSCA forces alone cannot secure the country alone considering its vastness yet there is a presence of rebel armed groups across its borders and the fact that neighboring countries are engulfed by political chaos or experienced it recently , thus worsening the situation.
As she said, leveraging agreements with partner countries was the option to deal with the situation with emergency.
“It is under that context that we tapped into such cooperation agreements whereby we sought support from Economic Community of Central African States (CEEAC). Lucky enough, Rwanda was the first country to provide support. You have witnessed that despite the presence of MINUSCA, we need support from Rwanda friends to repel armed groups’ attacks,” explained Koyara.
Serving with the example of recent Saturday attack, Koyara highlighted that rebels would not be defeated without support of Rwanda’s soldiers.
“Damara is a prestigious town to us. With the support of Rwanda’s soldiers and other forces reinforcing national troops, we repelled back the enemy,” she said.
“It is a victory to our troops and forces from Rwanda who rushed to support our military still subject to sanctions amidst heavy duties to protect the nation and civilians,” added Koyara.
He explained that many attackers lost lives even though two CAR soldiers lost lives during the fight.
“The enemy was immensely shaken that tens of attackers lost lives during the fight. This should leave a lesson to such groups to stop intentions to destabilize the country seeking to restore peace,” said Koyara.
MINUSCA has 12,870 peacekeepers of whom 11,650 are soldiers.
Rev. Karangwa was arrested in October 2019 on allegations of using forged documents as he submitted application for the position of deputy ADEPR spokesperson in 2017 which required qualifications of a Bachelors degree.
Rev. Karangwa submitted presented two degree certificates from Philippines and Uganda. He was later suspected to have forged the said documents and arrested.
Rev Karangwa denied the charges claiming that he studied in Philippines and provided evidence that included names and picture of classmates obtained from Google.
Prosecution requested court to reject the evidence explaining that they were not certified by a competent organization.
During the hearing of 10th June 2020, prosecution requested the court to sentence Rev Karangwa for seven years and a fine of Rwf 5.
On 30th June 2020, Nyarugenge Intermediary Court acquitted Rev Karangwa. The court ruled that there were no enough evidence pinning Rev Karangwa for forgery.
The deputy spokesperson who had spent eight months in Nyarugenge prison in Mageragere was released and resumed work in ADEPR but the prosecution immediately appealed for the decision.
Following the appeal, Nyamirambo High Court, recently on 31st December 2020 also ruled that Rev Karangwa is innocent.
The ruling was read in absentia of the accused who was represented by relatives.
Speaking to IGIHE, Rev Karangwa thanked Rwanda’s judicial system for making unbiased decisions.
“We voice appreciation to national judicial system for having done what it could to come up with impartial judgement,” he said.
Rev Karangwa explained that there were people behind his arrest intended to tarnish his image.
Rev Karangwa advised Rwandans and ADEPR Christians to love each other and shun hatred.
“People should not tarnish others’ reputation or seek to get them killed for the sake of leadership positions. I would like to tell ADEPR Christians that justice has prevailed,” he said.
Rev Karangwa and the executive committee (to which he belonged) led by the spokesperson Rev. Karuranga Euphrem were recently retired from active service during recent reforms by Rwanda Governance Board (RGB) to put an end to mismanagement that has characterized ADEPR.
The deceased include two men from Kigali respectively aged 67, 75 and another 51-year old man from Huye.
Among others, 109 new cases have been found out of 3318 sample tests while 67 have recovered.
The statement released last night shows that new cases were found in Kigali: 64, Musanze: 20, Rubavu: 12, Nyamasheke: 4, Gicumbi: 3, Kamonyi: 3, Huye: 2 and Burera: 1.
Rwanda confirmed the first COVID-19 patient on 14th March last year. Since then, 8676 people have been tested positive out of 738, 785 sample tests of whom 6752 have recovered, 1823 are active cases while 101 have succumbed to the virus.
Coronavirus symptoms include coughing, flu, and difficulty in breathing. The virus is said to be transmitted through the mucous membranes of the respiratory tract.
Rwandans are urged to adhere to COVID-19 health guidelines, washing hands frequently using soaps and safe water, wearing face masks and respecting social distancing.