The CentiSpace-1-S3/S4 test satellites were launched by a Kuaizhou-1A carrier rocket at 10:24 a.m. (Beijing Time) and they have entered the planned orbit successfully.
This was the 17th flight mission of the Kuaizhou-1A rockets, according to the launch center.
As of 8:30 p.m. Monday, 16 people were missing and over 50 injured, said Wang Feng, deputy director of the Sichuan provincial emergency management department.
Among the dead, 29 were from Ganzi Tibetan Autonomous Prefecture which administers Luding County, and the other 17 were from Ya’an City. Over 50,000 people in Ganzi and Ya’an have been evacuated to safety.
The 6.8-magnitude earthquake jolted Luding County at 12:52 p.m. Monday (Beijing Time), according to the China Earthquake Networks Center (CENC).
Sichuan has activated the highest level of emergency response for the earthquake.
As of 6 p.m. Monday, the province had deployed over 6,500 rescuers, four helicopters and two unmanned aerial vehicles to the frontline.
“There were many aftershocks, and some roads were blocked. We had to climb over the debris to get to the town square of Moxi,” said a rescuer from the provincial forest fire brigade.
On the way to Moxi Town, Xinhua reporters saw houses and infrastructure that had been damaged to varying degrees, and some roads partially collapsed.
The town’s electricity and communications had been cut, and emergency power-generation equipment was supplying electricity for residents taking shelter on the square.
Liu Fang, a local official, said that after the earthquake, she and other colleagues immediately evacuated the residents to the square about several hundred meters away.
According to the medics on the scene, after the earthquake, medical staff from the health centers in Moxi and neighboring villages and townships responded immediately. As of 8 p.m., more than 50 slightly injured people had received treatment at a medical site on the square.
A local special police rescue team had received calls saying a man in his 40s was trapped under a collapsed house, and they immediately rushed to the rescue.
However, excavators and other rescue machines could not reach the scene due to the narrow passage. The team thus dug the debris with their bare hands, and successfully rescued the man, who was sent to hospital.
So far, the special police rescue team has rescued more than 30 trapped people.
The Ministry of Finance and the Ministry of Emergency Management earmarked 50 million yuan (about 7.25 million U.S. dollars) to support rescue and relief work. The provincial government also allocated 50 million yuan to Ganzi.
Relief supplies, including some 3,000 tents and 10,000 folding beds, were allocated to Luding County, where the epicenter was located.
The event due in Kigali from 13th to 15th September will take place at the Serena Hotel.
It is organized by ACE Event Management based in the United Kingdom (UK).
The event will feature a stimulating two-day seminar programme to be held in parallel with the exhibition, including presentations and discussions by experts on “Safe Drinking Water and Sanitation – Latest Technologies, Strategies, and Innovation” as well as “Innovations in Building and Construction – Addressing the Housing Deficit, Ethics, and Safety”.
On the 15th September, a Continuing Professional Development (CPD) workshop on the topic “Paradigm Shifts in Urban Water Management: Innovative Technologies and Green Solutions,” organised by the world-renowned Professor Bob Andoh in collaboration with the Institution of Engineers Rwanda, will offer insights into what individuals, professionals, institutions can do collectively to address the incessant flooding, pollution and environmental degradation problems occurring in cities and towns.
Commenting on the development, Tracey Nolan-Shaw, the Managing Director of ACE Event Management said: “This fantastic networking opportunity is organized for consultants, contractors, engineers, architects, planners, developers, Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs)s, built environment professionals, government officials, and the general business community. We look forward to welcoming you, and together we can all be part of the exciting future of Rwanda.”
According to organizers, the exhibition and its accompanying seminars are endorsed and supported by Rwanda’s Ministry of Infrastructure Rwanda, the Institution of Engineering Rwanda, Rwanda Institute of Architects, Rwanda Convention Bureau, Rwanda Green Building Organisation, Rwanda Housing Authority, Rwanda Water Resources Board, Water and Sanitation Corporation (WASAC) and Global Green Growth Institute.
The entry for the exhibition, seminar programme, and CPD course is free.
Interested individuals can register and view the latest provisional program through provided links:
The man only identified as Hakuzimana, 22, was intercepted on Sunday, September 4, at about 5:30 am, in Nyarukore Village, Tumba Cell of Bungwe Sectors.
Superintendent of Police (SP) Alex Ndayisenga, the Northern Region Political and Civic Education Officer (RPCEO), said that Hakuzimana had sneaked the polythene bags into Rwanda from Uganda, through a porous border point.
“Hakuzimana was reported by residents of Tumba, who saw him crossing from Uganda through an illegal border point, with a suspicious luggage.
When Police officers stopped and searched him in Nyarukore village, they found that the bag he was carrying contained the banned plastic bags, he was taken into custody,” SP Ndayisenga said.
Hakuzimana was allegedly supplying the plastic bags to traders in Burera and Gicumbi districts.
SP Ndayisenga warned against trafficking, selling and packaging in the non-biodegradable products and appealed to the public to always report anyone they suspect to be smuggling or selling plastic bags, which pose serious effect on the ecosystem.
The suspect was handed over to RIB at Bungwe station.
Manufacturing, use, importation or sale of plastic carry bags and single-use plastic items are prohibited under article 3 of law N° 17/2019 of 10/08/2019 relating to the prohibition of manufacturing, importation, use, and sale of plastic carry bags and single-use plastic items in Rwanda.
In article 10, any person, who imports plastic carry bags and single-use plastic items is liable to the dispossession of those plastic carry bags and such items, and to an administrative fine equivalent to ten times the value of those plastic carry bags and single-use plastic items.
In article 11, a wholesaler of plastic carry bags and single use plastic items is liable to an administrative fine of Rwf700, 000 and dispossession of those plastic carry bags and such items.
In article 12, a retailer of plastic carry bags and single-use plastic items is liable to an administrative fine of Rwf300,000 and dispossession of those plastic carry bags and such items.
Following the ruling, Mr Ruto,55, who has been serving as the deputy president said that he would extend a hand of friendship to his political opponents, and praised the judiciary and the electoral commission for upholding the will of the country’s people.
Ruto will be serving as Kenya’s fifth President after Independence.
Kenya’s Presidential elections in Kenya took place on 9th August 2022.
Results from Kenya’s Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission (IEBC) indicated that Ruto won with 50.49% of the vote, narrowly defeating veteran opposition leader and former Prime Minister Raila Odinga who secured 48.85 of votes. The latter was contesting his fifth election.
Raila Odinga and his supporters contested election results citing fraud and filed a petition to the Supreme Court. However, the court has dismissed the eight petitions challenging the elections, putting an end to a protracted election dispute that started after polls closed in August.
According to reports, the court found that some petitions were based on forged documents and “sensational information”, Chief Justice Martha Koome said in a unanimous decision on behalf of the seven judges.
She added that no credible evidence that the electronic voting transmission system had been tampered with.
Rwanda’s Presidency has revealed that Kagame hosted Mansourou on Monday 5th September 2022.
Rwanda’s National Team qualified for the finals of the African Handball Championship after beating Morocco with 35-34 at the semifinal match held at BK Arena on Sunday 4th September 2022.
It will face Egypt in the Championship’s final game on Tuesday 6th September 2022.
Egypt also defeated Burundi National Team with 66-22 points.
The building is part of ‘Amarembo City Center’, a large project comprised of architectural marvels expected to make the city’s skyline richer and more colourful.
The structures will be erected at former premises of Akagera Motors, Ets. Verma, Mironko and Mukangira between Kigali City Mall (former Union Trade Center) and Kigali City Tower.
Amarembo will be comprised of buildings extended on 120,000 square meters.
Despite the delay in other buildings under this project, the construction of Nobelia Tower is underway.
It is expected that Nobelia Tower project will be comprised of water-efficient green buildings using renewable energy.
The 19-floor building will be extended on 11 469 square meters of which 9,284 will be dedicated for businesses. It will have offices to let, commercial buildings and restaurants among others.
The project’s design was produced by a Spanish company dubbed Carlos Arroyo Architects. The company has executed different mega construction projects in Belgium, France, the United Kingdom and Germany.
Its principal, Carlos Arroyo is among expert architects in Europe. He served as a lecturer at different universities including Princeton SOA, Boston MIT, Berlin TU, Bauhaus, Politecnico di Milano, Paris ENSAPLV and Tokyo University. He currently teaches at the Universidad Europea de Madrid, where he is Academic Curator of the Master in Architecture.
HABI Ltd, an investor running Nobelia Tower project began construction activities in June 2022 while design phase commenced in 2014 and was completed in October 2015.
Green by Design, a US based company offering consultancy services in large, sustainable and green construction projects was also involved from conceptualisation through every phase of the design to ensure the facility meets all standards.
After completing the design concept, Nobelia Tower was rated as a six-star green building making it the first of its kind to receive the rating in East Africa.
Some of aspects considered for a building to be classified among six-star facilities include the source of energy, construction materials, heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) system and water and waste recycling among others.
A building receives a six-star grading if the average of points given to all features ranges between 70 and 100%.
This is the case for Nobelia Tower. It will be comprised of water-efficient green buildings using renewable energy.
It also has a sophisticated HVAC system had to be incorporated to dehumidify the fresh air, which will be distributed through hollow-core floor slabs, where the air is fed at floor level, displacing the air in the room and extracting it at ceiling level.
The building’s solar panels will also have the capacity to generate 198 804 kWh per annum.
Among others, onsite waste management needed to address as all organic waste will be used to create compost onsite. It is an addition to an onsite water treatment system expected to result in a 90% total reduction of water discharge.
As the project’s design was released; Eudes Kayumba, the Chairperson of Green Building Council of Rwanda said that Nobelia Office Tower would be used as ‘the benchmark for all future green buildings in Rwanda and the Central East African region’.
Figures from the ministry show that disasters occasioned by rain from 15th August 2022, injured 36 people, destroyed 100 houses and ravaged 142 hectares of arable land.
Rwanda Meteorology Agency (Mateo Rwanda) recently predicted average rainfall in all districts of Eastern Province between 200 and 300 millimeters.
Meanwhile, the rain between 300 and 400 millimeters is expected in different districts of Northern Province.
Heavy rainfall between 400 and 500 millimeters is forecasted in different parts of Musanze District and the north-west of Burera District. The heavy rain is also predicted in many districts of Western Province excluding Ngororero.
Appearing in RBA talk show on Sunday 4th September 2022; the Permanent Secretary at MINEMA, Philippe Habinshuti urged the general public to own disaster-prevention measures.
He reminded them that dealing with effects of disasters in more costly than prevention and reminisced on incurred loss where the government of Rwanda has injected Rwf10 billion in projects to build 12,500 houses for disaster-hit citizens.
Habinshuti explained that tightening a roof can cost Rwf10,000 yet a replacement takes between Rwf300,000 and Rwf400,000.
“We must expend much effort in disaster prevention instead of folding arms until a house collapses. When anti-erosion measures are not considered while building a bridge, it is likely to be destroyed. We encourage citizens to tighten roofs, build strong foundations lest water penetrate through walls and relocate from high risk zones,” he said.
According to a TASS report, a group of 10 Russian tourists and two guides set out on the trek on Tuesday. On Saturday, nine people started climbing the Klyuchevskaya Sopka volcano, while three remained in the camp at an altitude of 3,300 meters.
The victims climbing the volcano died at an altitude of about 4,150 meters. Rescuers onboard a helicopter are trying to extract the other climbers.
Details of the accident were not immediately known.
The Kamchatka peninsula is famous for its array of active and dormant volcanos, hot springs and abundant wildlife. Klyuchevskaya Sopka, with a height of about 4,750 meters, is the highest active volcano in Eurasia.
ATMIS also condemned the brazen attack on a commercial convoy by the militant group on Friday night which resulted in the death of 20 people and the destruction of seven trucks carrying urgently needed food and water supplies in the central Somali town of Hiran.
“ATMIS commiserates with the families of those killed and remains committed to working with Somali security forces towards peace and security in Somalia,” the AU mission said in a statement issued in Mogadishu, the capital of Somalia.
The statement came as Hiran regional security officials confirmed that the death toll from the terrorist attack rose to 20 while seven trucks carrying food supplies from Beledweyne to Mahas in HirShabelle State were burnt.
The regional security officials also said two vehicles ferrying rescuers were targeted with improvised explosive devices by al-Shabab terrorists in the latest attack which has also been condemned by the Somali government.
Residents said the latest assault was a retaliatory attack carried out by al-Shabab on a local militia dubbed, Ma’awisley which is backed by the Somali National Army (SNA) that has been fighting al-Shabab militants recently in a bid to push them out of the Hiran region.
The Somali National Army (SNA) backed by the AU Mission in Somalia drove al-Shabab out of Mogadishu in 2011, but the terror group is still capable of conducting attacks, targeting government installations, hotels, restaurants and public places.