The net capital grew by 22.1% to Rwf 893.2 billion while disbursed loans increased by 35.1% reaching Rwf 650.2 billion.
The CEO of Bank of Kigali, Dr. Diane Karusisi has said that BK Group subsidiaries including Bank of Kigali, BK General Insurance, BK Capital and BK TecHouse made an impressive performance.
“We continued to disburse a large amount of loans at the Bank of Kigali to sectors including the energy sector where we support some institutions to be able to distribute electricity to Rwandans, we offered loaned technology sector to contribute to national economy among others,” she explained.
The Chief Financial Officer at BK Group Plc, Nathalie Mpaka explained that netted profit is an impressive achievement promising good returns promised to shareholders last year requesting them to increase their stake in the bank.
BK Group Plc earned Rwf 13.4 billion in the first half of the year 2018.
The women identified as Olive Mukasafari, 37, and Fidausi Dusabimana, 35, were arrested on Wednesday in possession of over 750 pellets of cannabis.
They are currently being held at Gasaka Police Station pending further investigations by Rwanda Investigation Bureau.
The District Police Commander for Nyamagabe, Superintendent of Police (SP) Gaston Karagire disclosed that the arrest of the two women followed the information that had been provided by responsible members of the public.
He explained that they were arrested at around 5 am by the Police night patrol in Mugari Village of Nyanzonga Cell, the Cyanika Sector, following a call by one of the residents.
“There is a strong partnership between residents and security organs, which makes it easy to identify and arrest wrongdoers especially drug dealers through information sharing,” the DPC said.
“To overcome this pressing issue of narcotic drugs, dealers have to be brought to justice, and the partnership between Police and the general public through community policing is bearing fruitful results,” he added.
Article 263 of the new penal code partly states that, any person who, unlawfully produces, transforms, transports, stores, gives to another or who sells narcotic drugs and psychotropic substances commits an offense, with a sentence ranging from seven years to life in prison, upon conviction, and a fine of between twenty (20) Million Rwandan Francs (Frw) and thirty (30) Million Rwandan Francs (Frw).
“RIB has arrested Ndabereye Augustin, the vice Mayor in charge of Economic development in Musanze district over an alleged assault of his wife. He is held at Muhoza RIB Station as his case file is being processed,” reads RIB tweet.
It is said that Ndabereye was taken to RIB station in Musanze today morning after beating and seriously injuring his wife over domestic disputes.
IGIHE has learned that the husband pulled her wife’s hair that she was injured and taken Ruhengeri hospital in the Musanze district.
The Governor of Northern Province, Jean Marie Vianney Gatabazi confirmed to IGIHE that Ndabereye is suspected of beating her wife.
“We have warned him several times. We hope justice will prevail because such behaviors should not characterize a leader,” he said.
Governor Gatabazi appealed to leaders to be exemplary turning against any vices that might discredit them among citizens.
The murder took place yesterday morning. IGIHE has learned that the murder is connected to property-related disputes in which the culprit was involved with her sister.
The mayor of Nyanza district, Erasme Ntazinda has told IGIHE that the culprit was recently released after serving a jail term for murder after involvement in property-related disputes.
“The 32-year-old man stabbed five people of whom two were declared dead on arrival at the hospital while three others sustained injuries,” he said.
Three of the stabbed people are from the murderer’s family.
The suspect is detained at RIB station in Muyira.
This left a huge task to the Government and relevant institutions concerned with forest management to seek a solution to combat the disease.
The pests are believed to have originated from countries with a big presence of eucalyptus trees like Australia among others.
Faustin Bizumuremyi from Gisagara district has told IGIHE that such pests still destroy their eucalyptus trees and continue to wither gradually.
Speaking to IGIHE, Prime Ngabonziza, the Director-General of Rwanda Water and Forestry Authority (RWFA) said research outcomes attributed the presence of such pests to rough growth.
“In collaboration with the research center within the Rwanda Agriculture Board, we took a sample of these pests and transferred them to laboratories abroad. They established the origin of these pests and told us that they emerge depending on conditions in which a forest is maintained,” he said.
The research attributed the presence of these pests to the shortage of water on the land where trees are planted, and conservation conditions. The research also revealed that combating such pests applying pesticides would pose a threat to other elements in the environment ecosystem like water and crops among others.
“They told us that spraying chemical substances in these forests would result in aggravated consequences given that these pests emerge depending on forests conservation conditions. They advised us on good maintenance of forests, digging spillways to retain water to feed trees,” said Ngabonziza.
“We adhered to the instructions and implemented these practices in collaboration with districts and farmers. It bore fruits in some regions that the situation is far different unlike the case in 2014. Probably, the pests are seen in poorly maintained individual farmer’s forests,” he added.
Pests destroying eucalyptus were first experienced in countries like Australia, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Eritrea, and Uganda.
Eucalyptus susceptible be affected by such pests are spread to 55% of the total land covered by forests in Rwanda.
Rwanda targets to spread forests to 30% of the country’s land by 2020 to make a fresh atmosphere with no negative impact on the country’s growth and residents.
The decision was unveiled on 28th August 2019 as members launched the program during which they started making bricks to construct new latrines and houses replacing old structures.
A total of 200,000 bricks are expected to be made over the course of action.
Some members of RPF Inkotanyi explained that the initiative came into action considering the presence of some households with no latrines that might lead to health hazards over poor hygiene.
“It is a shame that some residents don’t have own latrines. It is among problems likely to cause poor hygiene-related diseases. That is why we have decided to make these bricks to completely address the problem of lacking latrines and houses,” said Nema Umukamisha.
Another member, Jonas Ndikumana explained that some residents’ latrines were destroyed by heavy downpour though others didn’t have them.
“Apart from making bricks, we shall also construct the latrines,” he said.
The Chairman of RPF Inkotanyi in Muhoza sector, Emmanuel Nsabimana said that the initiative is aimed at supporting vulnerable residents and combating poor hygiene.
“The initiative was launched by Musanze district and got inspired to give in our contribution making bricks to be used during the construction of latrines and houses for vulnerable residents,” he explained.
The mayor of Musanze district and the Chairman of RPF Inkotanyi, Jean Damascène Habyarimana said that the district pledged to address the problem of toilets within one year.
“Making bricks and building latrines and houses for vulnerable residents aligns with the district’s program,” he noted.
Musanze district has incorporated a clause in performance contracts that the fiscal year 2019/2020 will leave all households having own latrines.
The district records 10 064 households with substandard latrines that need to be destroyed and constructed again while 1069 households have no toilets.
The summit that kicked off yesterday runs from 28th to 30th August 2019.
The heads of countries he met enjoy cordial relations with Rwanda with relations with South Africa being mended gradually since Ramaphosa was elected President.
Japan is a great development partner of Rwanda. It has donated approximately US$ 350 million funding to Rwanda from 2008 to 2017 through Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA).
Launched in 1993, TICAD 2019 follows the last one held in Kenya in 2016.
TICAD is a conference held regularly with the objective of promoting high-level policy dialogue between African leaders and development partners.
As he attended the opening ceremony of the summit along with other Heads of State from Japan and Africa yesterday, President Kagame lauded achievements and vision of TICAD that continuously made Japan an effective and dependable partner of the African continent.
The President highlighted that TICAD was born at a moment of uncertainty about the continent’s future that the spirit of optimism and partnership could not be taken for granted.
Acting on a tip-off, Police said the vehicle RAE 689A, Daihatsu was on Tuesday trailed from Gatsata in Gasabo district to a store in Nyamirambo, Nyarugenge district owned by Eugene Sibomana, the distributor.
Chief Inspector of Police (CIP) Marie-Gorette Umutesi, the police spokesperson for the City of Kigali said the distillery is not licensed and was producing substandard alcoholic drinks. The seized substances were publicly disposed of.
“There are set health and legal standards to start a brewery, which also prescribes the raw materials that are not harmful to consumers, and should be followed; contrary to that you are breaking the law,” CIP Umutesi said.
RSB specifies that “only food-grade processing aids recognized as safe for human consumption shall be used during the manufacture.”
Other standard requirements include labeling (name of the products, physical and postal address of manufacturer); net contents in milliliters or liters; ethyl alcohol content; date of manufacture and expiry date; storage instructions; statutory warnings; and list of ingredients in descending order.
“We advise people, who want to invest in producing alcoholic beverages to go through proper channels and acquire the standard mark so as to produce and sell products that are healthy to consumers. Contrary to these standards you will be producing psychotropic substances, which is punishable by law,” the spokesperson emphasized.
Under article 263 of the Penal code, “any person who, unlawfully produces, transforms, transports, stores, gives to another or who sells narcotic drugs and psychotropic substances commit an offense,” with an imprisonment of up to 10 years and a fine of between Rwf5 million and Rwf10 million.
Chief Inspector of Police (CIP) Emmanuel Kayigi, the Police spokesperson for the Western region, said that Ntibaziyabaremye was taken into custody after Police recovered 19 jerrycans of diesel in his house located in Rwimbogo Sector, Karenge Cell in Nyabihanga Village.
“There was information from residents and community security personnel that Ntibaziyabaremye runs a fuel business, which is illegal and security concern to neighbors,” CIP Kayigi said.
“On August 27, at about 8 pm, Police officers and DASSO personnel in Rwimbogo Sector caught the suspect red-handed at his house with 280 liters (19 jerrycans). His two accomplices, whose identities are known, are yet to be arrested,” he added.
“The law is clear; such petroleum products like petrol, diesel, and kerosene are strictly sold at petrol stations not in houses or elsewhere. Regulations of how these petroleum products are packaged, transported and stored are all standards meant to ensure quality and safety since these are inflammable products, which can ignite fire… it can be a disaster to people in the same house or area,” the spokesperson explained.
He thanked those, who provided information on the “unlawful and dangerous business,” and called for continued partnership against lawlessness.
Police has warned against unlawful trade in petroleum products and advised against keeping inflammable in houses to prevent likely disaster and loss of lives.
Article 6 of Law No. 85/2013 of 11/9/2013 regulating petroleum and petroleum products trade in Rwanda, partly states that “any person, who shall perform any type of petroleum and petroleum products trade shall have a license from the competent authority.”
Article 22 also specifies the safety of petroleum products with respect to conditions related to “stores and other places exclusively reserved for the parking of petroleum and petroleum products tankers” determined by the competent authority,” to prevent causing accidents.
Patrick Nyamvumba reiterated the commitment yesterday as he presided over the closing ceremony of the two-week multinational/multidimensional exercise codenamed ‘Exercise Shared Accord 2019’ at the Combat Training Centre -Gabiro.
The closure was also graced by Peter Vrooman, the US Ambassador to Rwanda.
While closing the exercise, Gen Nyamvumba said : “The responsibility to protect civilians lies at the heart of modern peacekeeping and the increasing complexity of field situations requires that you, as peacekeepers, embrace cooperation, coordination, consensus and work in an integrated manner so as to improve and speed up delivery in armed conflicts.’’
Gen Nyamvumba highlighted that Rwanda particularly recognizes the value and potential impact of this particular exercise and future similar ones and is honored to support the task of training and preparing forces to deploy on peacekeeping missions.
He further explained that ‘Rwanda and RDF remain committed to supporting world peace and security whenever required’.
Amb Peter Vrooman thanked the Government of Rwanda and RDF for hosting SA19 for the second time in a row.
“I am honored to join the closing of Exercise SA19 as we recognize one of the largest peacekeeping exercises held on the continent. The exercise fosters collaboration between nations, military/police, and civilians,” he said.
“Your country plays an essential role in regional security as one of the largest troop and police-contributing countries”, added Amb Vrooman.
SA19 is committed to foster a partnership with African countries to develop military interoperability between participating nations.
RDF’s Brig Gen JB Ngiruwonsanga and USARAF’s Brig Gen Lapthe C. Flora, the exercise directors lauded the participants for their contribution toward the success of SA19.
The exercise comprised of three phases that included the academic phase aimed at enhancing participants’ understanding of the UN system and conduct of the peace operations, the Military Component Planning Process (MCPP), the Command Post Exercise and a Field Training Exercise based on the selected course of action and with more than 200 scenarios exercised.
1200 Military/Police personnel and civilians from 25 countries have been trained to Command and Control a realistic multinational/multidimensional Peace Operations in accordance with UN/AU standards.