{{The former Logo on Hotel Des Milles Collines entrence has been changed to mark the start of takeover by new management of the hotel by Kempinski.}}




{{The former Logo on Hotel Des Milles Collines entrence has been changed to mark the start of takeover by new management of the hotel by Kempinski.}}




{{ The premier of the Australian state hosting an international AIDS conference says a “substantial number” of world-renowned AIDS researchers and activists were on board a Malaysian jetliner that was shot down over Ukraine.}}
Victoria Premier Denis Napthine told reporters in Melbourne on Friday that he can confirm many passengers on board the Malaysia Airlines plane were en route to next week’s 20th International AIDS conference in Melbourne.
There have been unconfirmed reports that up to 100 people on board the flight were going to the conference. Napthine says it’s far too early to give a precise figure.


{{ The International Monetary Fund expects to decide within weeks on issuing the second tranche of a $17-billion bailout to Ukraine, whose economy is likely to contract by 6.5 percent this year, its Kiev mission chief said on Friday.}}
Ukraine, which is fighting a pro-Russian separatist rebellion in the east, received $3.2 billion in May as the first tranche of the two-year aid package intended to shore up depleted foreign currency reserves and support the state budget.
“The mission has reached an understanding with the Ukrainian authorities on the policies necessary for the completion of the first review under the standby agreement… We expect this process to be completed within few weeks,” said mission chief Nikolay Gueorguiev.
He said the tranche could total $1.4 billion although his forecast that the Ukrainian economy would contract by 6.5 percent this year was a larger fall than the previously estimated 5-percent decline.
Ukraine’s economy stagnated in 2013. Economists have said its economy will slide deeper into recession this year, despite an IMF aid deal, as a pro-Russian rebellion cripples activity in the industrial east and scares off foreign investors.
The IMF approved its bailout for Ukraine in April to help the country’s economy recover after months of upheaval, unlocking further credits from other donors of about $15 billion.
Ukrainian Prime Minister Arseny Yatseniuk said on July 9 he expected Kiev to receive the second tranche because it was fulfilling all the criteria.

{{Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko chairs a meeting in Kiev July 17, 2014.}}
{wirestory}

{{Bolivia has lowered the legal working age to allow children to work from the age of 10 as long as they also attend school and are self-employed.}}
The law also permits 12-year-olds to be contracted to work for others. But they need parental authorisation.
Vice-President Alvaro Garcia Linera said the new legislation reflects the needs of Bolivia, one of the poorest countries in South America.
It also sets harsher punishment for violence against children.
The law sets a sentence of 30 years in jail for child homicide.
The measure, approved by Congress earlier this month, was signed into law by Mr Garcia in the absence of President Evo Morales, who was travelling to Brazil.
“President Evo [Morales] intervened to make sure we found a balance between the reality and the law, between rights and international treaties,” added Mr Garcia.
{{‘Other needs’}}
More than 500,000 children already work to supplement the family income in Bolivia according to the United Nations Children’s Fund (Unicef).


{{The Philippines is pushing for a meeting among four Southeast Asian nations with conflicting claims to waters in the South China Sea so that they can hammer out a common stand in dealings with China, Manila’s foreign minister said on Friday.}}
Manila is waging a territorial dispute with China over the Spratlys and the Scarborough Shoal in the South China Sea, an area believed to be rich in oil and natural gas deposits as well as fisheries resources.
Brunei, Malaysia, Vietnam and Taiwan also have claims in the sea, which is traversed each year by ship-borne trade worth about $5 trillion (£2.92 trillion).
Albert del Rosario said the Philippines wanted to hold talks with Brunei, Malaysia and Vietnam before foreign ministers from regional grouping the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) meet for an annual conference in Myanmar next month.
“We are working towards having a possibility of claimants meeting before the ASEAN ministerial meetings,” Del Rosario told reporters after talks with Thailand’s acting foreign minister, Sihasak Phuangketkeow.
“We don’t have any dates yet and it’s a work in progress.”
Del Rosario also visited Brunei, Indonesia and Vietnam early this month to drum up support for the meeting. Jakarta had a separate proposal for an ASEAN-China dialogue to defuse tension after Beijing placed an oil rig in a disputed waters in May.
China’s May 2 deployment of the rig in waters claimed by Vietnam set off deadly anti-Chinese riots in Vietnam, followed by numerous ship collisions after scores of vessels from both countries regularly squared off around the platform.
China removed the oil rig this week after completing three months of exploration work. The rig’s departure was welcomed by Washington, which had decried its initial deployment as a “provocative” act.

{{At least 5,576 Iraqi civilians have been killed this year in violence, the United Nations said on Friday in the most detailed account yet of the impact of months of unrest culminating in an assault by Sunni militants through the north of the country.}}
At least 11,665 have been wounded since January, when Sunni insurgents led by al Qaeda offshoot now known as the Islamic State overran the city of Falluja in the western province of Anbar, the U.N. said in a report.
Last month, the insurgents seized swathes of northern Iraq, including the area’s largest city Mosul. Of the 2,400 people killed in June, 1,531 were civilians, the U.N. said earlier this month.
The report documents what it calls “systematic and egregious violations” of international law by the group now calling itself the Islamic State.
The U.N found the group had executed civilians, committed sexual violence against women and girls, carried out kidnappings and targeted assassinations of political, community, and religious leaders and killed children, among other violations.
The report also details violations committed by government forces and affiliated groups, citing “summary executions/extrajudicial killings of prisoners and detainees”,
which it said may constitute a war crime.
The U.N. noted that the “deteriorating security situation” had limited its ability to directly monitor and verify incidents.
More than 1.2 million people had been displaced since violence escalated last month, according to the report.
{wirestory}

{{Democratic Republic of Congo has launched its first agricultural business park, the initial step in a plan to use its vast tracts of arable land to produce food, create jobs and wean the economy off its dependence on mining.}}
Congo has 80 million hectares of arable land and some 70 percent of the population works in farming but most are involved in subsistence agriculture and the country spent $1.5 billion on food imports last year.
The programme hinges on Congo overcoming its reputation for being one of the trickiest business environments and reversing the current trend for agriculture’s contribution to the economy declining as the mining sector expands.
“This initiative has potential to create durable growth and limit the vulnerability of an economy that depends on natural resources and fluctuations of international markets,” Jean Chrysostome Vahamwiti, minister for agriculture and rural development, said on Tuesday at the launch of the 75,000 hectare Bukanga Lonzo park, 240 km (150 miles) east of Kinshasa.
The government hopes foreign and local farmers there will produce a range of vegetables – including corn, beans and cassava – as well as meat and fish to be mainly sold in Kinshasa, which is home to some 10 million people.
The government has spent $83 million setting up Bukanga Lonzo, where South African firm Mozfood & Energy carried out feasibility studies and a South African consortium called Africom has been handed the management contract.
President Joseph Kabila has pledged to radically reform agriculture in his country, which is rich in minerals and fertile land but has endured decades of misrule and slipped into a series of conflicts since the 1990s.
Kabila attended the launch, driving one of the tractors due to be used to work the land, but he did not make any comment.
{wirestory}

{{South African pension manager Alexander Forbes on Friday priced its initial public offering at the middle of its planned range on Friday, raising 3.7 billion rand ($345 million) ahead of its return to the Johannesburg exchange.}}
Alexander Forbes, which was taken private by a group of investors including buyout firm Actis in 2007, said it priced the IPO at 7.5 rand a share, compared to its planned range of 6.9 to 8.05 rand.
The company said the total size of the offer was 496.7 million shares, including an overallotment option of up to 64.8 million shares.
Deutsche Bank AG, Morgan Stanley and FirstRand unit Rand Merchant Bank were the joint bookrunners on the sale.($1 = 10.7091 South African Rand)

{{In the framework of the ongoing 20th Liberation activities, Rwanda Defence Forces, through Rwanda Military Hospital( RMH), is conducting an outreach Army Week aimed at treating eye cataract blindness in Musanze District.}}
About 110 blind patients previously identified in different health centers are
undergoing cataract surgery at Musanze Hospital from 15 July 2014.
The exercise will be closed on Friday 18 July with all of the patients treated, assured Lt. Col Dr John Nkurikiye, the RMH ophthalmologist conducting the surgery team supported by Musanze Hospital.
Nyiramukara Alivanie, 78 years from Nkotsi Sector in Musanze lost her sight due to cataract disease two years ago, she was excited after treatment and said’’ I had lost hope of ever seeing again and now I can see, this is a miracle for me, see how I can identify people and things around me. I am really thankful for military doctors who helped me regain my sight.”
Ntawugashira Concesa , 54 old from Cyanika sector in Musanze said that
she lost her both sight in 2010. “ I deeply suffered as I could not identify people, when my children were playing around I could not see them.
It is a miracle now I’m identifying everything with clarity and can read. I thank the Army that protects our lives and property. I pray that God be on their support for what they do”, she said.
Lt Col Dr John Nkurikiye explained that eye cataract blindness is normal problem when people reaches old age. He urged people with eye problem to immediately see eye doctors for treatment.
“The government has made tremendous efforts in equipping hospitals and deploying specialists, for example this facility here has an eye specialist. So people should not wait until Army Week happens to get treatment” he said.
The ongoing eye cataract surgery is conducted free of charge, while normally it costs at least 35.000 Rwf, as it was disclosed by the Director of Musanze Hospital, Dr Ndekezi Deogratias, who warmly welcomed the support of RMH.



source: MOD

{{The Rwanda National Police (RNP) department of Traffic and Road Safety informs the general public that the registration for those seeking driving licence is currently underway.}}
Supt. Jean Marie Vianney Ndushabandi, traffic spokesperson said the registration started on July 2 and will end on July 23.
“The online registration is now open to everyone that wishes to acquire a provisional or definitive driving licence and the registration machine will not receive any submission beyond that date,” Supt. Ndushabandi explained.
For those seeking a provisional licence, send an SMS as ‘Identity Card number – space – district – P – O – RRA receipt number’ and send to 3126.
When registering to sit for practical tests, send an SMS as ‘Identity Card number – space – district – Category (B, C, D, E, F) – serial number of licence currently held – RRA receipt number’ and send to 3126.
“Tests will start on August 4 in the City of Kigali and end on August 27 in Northern and others parts of the Western province,” he said.
In Kigali, tests will be conducted between August 4th and 8th, from August 11th to 13th it will be in the Eastern Province; in the Southern and the districts of Rusizi, Nyamasheke, Karongi, Rutsiro and Ngororero, tests will be done from 18th to 20th while in the Northern province and the districts of Rubavu and Nyabihu, tests will be conducted from August 25th to 27th.
Ndushabandi also appealed to successful candidates to safeguard the registration number, payment receipt and know the district where they will sit the tests from.
source: RNP