The statement released last night shows that the majority of new cases were found in Kigali: 27, Nyamagabe: 12, Ruhango: 11, Kayonza: 9, Gisagara: 8 and Rubavu: 8.
Burera, Gicumbi, Kirehe, Ngoma, Nyagatare and Nyamasheke recorded zero new case.
Rwanda confirmed the first COVID-19 patient on 14th March 2020. Since then, 17 835 people have been tested positive of whom 16 163 have recovered, 1429 are active cases while 243 have succumbed to the virus.
As of today, the prevalence of new infections, recoveries and death tool stands at 2.7%, 90.6% and 1.3% respectively.
The Ministry of Health has also reported that 12 patients are critically ill.
Coronavirus symptoms include coughing, flu, and difficulty in breathing. The virus is said to be transmitted through the mucous membranes of the respiratory tract.
Rwandans are urged to adhere to COVID-19 health guidelines, washing hands frequently using soaps and safe water, wearing face masks and respecting social distancing.
Idamange, 42, hailing from Kamonyi district has been for the past few weeks using social media platforms to trivialize the 1994 Genocide against the Tutsi. She once said that remains of genocide victims laid at different memorials ‘have become a business’.
The mother whose university studies were sponsored by the Fund for Support to Genocide Survivors (FARG) has been featuring in YouTube channel talk shows pronouncing words that are said to incite public disorder and trivialize the 1994 Genocide against Tutsi.
Following these acts, Rwanda National Police (RNP) jointly with Rwanda Investigation Bureau (RIB) arrested her on 15th February 2021 for investigation.
During an exclusive interview with IGIHE, TIR Chairperson condemned her acts observing that it is shameful to see a genocide survivor criticizing those who sponsored her education and particularly trivialize the Genocide she survived.
“How come that a person criticizes people who paid his/her school fees! I don’t blame them too but I have pity for them because their school fee was wasted. I am not sure if she completed the studies she claims. She is not able to set goals and goes beyond that to exhibit contempt and trivialize Genocide,” she said.
“If you are not a perpetrator or someone denying it [Genocide], you cannot pronounce such words. She is aware of genocide even if she is not a perpetrator. Perhaps, she might be considering that chances emerged from it getting school fees. She talks whatever without diligence. In fact, I no longer want to spend my time on that woman,” added Ingabire.
Idamange is the mother of four.
On the same day of her arrest on 15th February, Idamange featured in a talk show following the previous one held on Sunday called ‘Amasengesho’ (Prayers).
In the talk show, she was heard requesting Rwandans to organize riots at Presidency Office carrying their bibles.
As the woman began series of such talk shows, many Rwandans including siblings and husband denounced his acts.
Her husband, Eng Mabumba Oswald, currently lives in South Sudan. He used Instagram account to denounce acts of his wife with whom they sired four children together.
“I am writing this to inform all people that my wife Yvonne has recently criticized the Government of Rwanda in public on social media platforms. I largely condemn such acts. As the husband and parent of her children, I tried to advise her against the wrong path she chose at family level but she declined to obey me,” he said.
Mabumba highlighted that him and children love Rwanda that they are against Idamange’s plan.
The Ministry unveiled the figures at a time when heavy rain continues to destroy properties and infrastructures in different parts of the country.
Apart from deaths, MINEMA shows that 498 houses were destroyed. Of these houses, 431 were destroyed by heavy rains, 50 destroyed by snow while 11 caught fire.
Disasters also left 793 hectares flooded, while 38 cows were struck by lightning.
More 1200 livestock also died during heavy rain related disasters.
Among others, heavy rains destroyed 19 classrooms, 17 roads and 14 bridges.
The Permanent Secretary of MINEMA, Kayumba Olivier has told RBA that citizens should be watchful during this rainy season avoiding susceptible damages or loss of lives.
“We request people to continue respecting lighting protection guidelines and avoid seeking shelters under trees during rain. Among others, they should not draw closer to electric poles to avoid lightening accidents,” he said.
Kayumba also urged people in disaster prone areas to relocate like marshlands among others.
Some of beneficiaries who received these items provided by Red Cross Rwanda expressed delight for the kind act.
“We voice our appreciation for the support because we were left bare hands without single clothes following the disaster. We have been wearing neighbors’ clothes,” said Kampire Maria.
“It is a pleasure that they have thought about us. May God bless them. These equipment come in handy because nothing was left home following the disaster. However, I can’t afford food nowadays,” said another beneficiary.
Affected residents have also appealed for support to get shelters and foods to leave neighbors’ homes where they are overcrowded.
The Coordinator of Red Cross Rwanda in Huye and Gisagara, Muyenzi Robert, said the support was meant to provide basic items during these days when they are accommodated by neighbors.
“We have today donated items to eight families from Mukura sector, an addition to eight more families from Rusatira sector supported two days ago. We have more items for 15 disaster affected families dropped at Huye Stadium to be distributed shortly,” he said.
The head of disaster management in Huye district, Nsabimana Jean Pierre, explained that affected families will continue receiving support gradually.
“It is a basic support because we are making the report of affected residents in other sectors to provide shelters,” he said.
In Huye district, Disasters have destroyed houses for over 30 families in one week.
Affected residents are currently accommodated by neighbors.
Sheikh Hamdan Habimana is currently the deputy president of Arsenal fans in Rwanda and the president of Ijabo Ryawe Rwanda Association.
As an umbrella body that brings together all local football academies and training centres, Ijabo Ryawe is also a member of the Rwanda Football Federation (FERWAFA).
He has been arrested in Huye district, Southern Province following the complaint filed to RIB on 14th February 2021.
The spokesperson of RIB, Dr Murangira B. Thierry has told IGIHE that Habimana is suspected to have committed the crime last week.
“Habimana Hamdam, 45, is investigated for money theft crime. It is said that he stole the money from a journalist working with B&B FM- Umwezi. The theft took place in Kinyinya sector, Gasabo district on 13th February 2021,” he said.
B&B FM- Umwezi journalists have through a talk show dubbed B&B Sports Plateau revealed details of the theft.
It is said that Uwimana’s money was stolen from a car she left in parking of B&B FM- Umwezi premises to participate in a talk show.
As she returned, Uwimana missed her money.
This prompted them to review records of CCTV Cameras installed in the parking and established that Sheikh Hamdan Habimana opened the car using another key.
Imfurayiwacu Jean Luc, a journalist working with B&B Fm Umwezi, explained that, CCTV footages showed that Sheikh Habimana entered the car at 12:22 in which he spent 48 seconds.
Since then, Uwimana and the management of the radio rushed to alert security officials.
Sheikh Hamdan Habimana is detained at Kinyinya RIB station waiting for his case to be transferred to the prosecution.
If convicted, he is liable to a sentence between one year and two years, fine between Rwf 1 million and Rwf 2 million, community service for six months or one of these penalties as per article 166 of Rwanda’s Penal Code.
They were arrested yesterday during operations by security personnel in collaboration with local leaders to inspect adherence to instituted COVID-19 control measures.
The mayor of Huye district, Sebutege Ange has told IGIHE that 26 people were caught drinking and urged residents to avoid complacency against preventive measures.
“People should understand that COVID-19 has not been defeated. Violating preventive measures might put their lives at risk and their families as well. We will not tolerate whoever violating instituted measures. They will be arrested and fined, close bars, and release everyone after clearing payments for COVID-19 test,” he said.
Sebutege thanked residents who reported violators and urged them to keep the collaboration until the pandemic is defeated.
These bars violating preventive measures were also closed.
Neighboring residents have appealed on leaders to fence the perimeters of the pond to avoid similar incidents because the youth has made it a habit to swim in the pond.
The incident took place yesterday evening.
The deceased hails from Kamata village, Cyanya cell of Kigabiro sector in Rwamagana district, Eastern Province from where another 13-year old child drowned in the same pond swimming.
The executive secretary of Kigabiro sector, Egide Hanyurwimfura has told IGIHE that young man drowned around 4pm.
“I have learnt that the young man drowned in the pond as he went to swim. We immediately delegated local leaders who collaborated with residents to retrieve his body. Police and health workers also rushed to the scene and took the body for autopsy,” he said.
Neighboring residents who talked to IGIHE on condition of anonymity expressed worries for susceptible similar deaths and appealed on the Government to fence the pond.
“Young people including amateurs always come to swim in this pond every evening. Some of them drown while others are sometimes rescued in the process of drowning,” said one resident.
The executive secretary Hanyurwimfura appealed on parents to collaborate with local leaders to chase out children coming to swim in the pond.
“We continue sensitization, requesting neighboring parents and relevant authorities to oversee the pond. We have delegated security patrols but swimmers sometimes use the pond when security patrol agents have gone to do their usual work. We however continue to remind residents not to use the pond,” he noted.
The young man’s body has been taken to Rwamagana Hospital for postmortem before proceeding with burial.
The destroyed narcotics were seized in varied operations Rwanda National Police (RNP) conducted in the two districts.
The separate public destruction exercises were witnessed by the Police, prosecution, RIB and local authorities.
In Nyamasheke, the destruction exercise was held on Tuesday, February 16, in two separate sites in Ruharambuga and Bushenge sectors.
Also disposed of in Nyamasheke include 180kgs of assorted skin bleaching products and 100kgs of pharmaceuticals.
The skin bleaching products are labeled illegal under the ministerial order determining the list of cosmetics, whose use is prohibited in Rwanda; the law on organization, functioning, and competence of the Council of Pharmacists; and the law relating to the regulation and inspection of food and pharmaceutical products.
The products contain chemicals such as mercury and hydroquinone, which can cause liver damage, reduce resistance to bacterial and fungal infections, and increase anxiety, according to the World Health Organization.
“The narcotics, banned skin whitening products as well pharmaceuticals were seized from drug dealers and smugglers during separate operations conducted between 2018 and 2020,” CIP Bonaventure Twizere Karekezi, the Police spokesperson for the Western region, said.
According to CIP Karekezi, those arrested include major drug dealers some of whom were intercepted as they crossed into Rwanda from the DR Congo while others were still in transit to supply other dealers in different parts of the country including in City of Kigali.
In Nyagatare District, other destroyed products include 5,200 bottles of Soft gin, 1,034 bottles of Kambuca drink, 1,910 sachets of maisha bola and 736 cartons of plastic bags.
All alcoholic drinks produced without complying with standards and other laws in Rwanda are classified as ‘simple narcotic drugs’ under article 5 of the Ministerial Order No.001/MoH/2019 of 04/03/2019 establishing the list of narcotic drugs and their categorization.
Under article 263 of the law determining offences and penalties in general in Rwanda, anyone convicted for dealing in “simple narcotic drugs” faces between seven and ten years in prison and a fine of between Rwf5 million and Rwf10 million.
According to CIP Hamdun Twizeyimana, the Police spokesperson for the Eastern region, the destroyed drugs in Nyagatare were seized from traffickers in separate operations conducted last month in the sectors of Mimuri, Gatunda, Rwempasha and Nyagatare when tens of traffickers were arrested.
At least 18 kanyanga dealers were arrested in Rwempasha alone.
Illicit gins are mainly trafficked into Rwanda from the neighbouring Uganda through porous borders.
The spokespersons commended the role of communities in the two districts, who reported drug traffickers and smugglers and facilitated successful operations.
“These are results of community policing and strengthened operations targeting major dealers including trafficker and local distributors aimed at breaking chains of supply, and bringing these dealers to justice,” CIP Karekezi said.
Cannabis is listed among “very severe drugs” in Rwanda with anyone convicted for this crime facing between 20 years and life in prison and a fine of up to Rwf30 million.
The deceased include two men aged 38 and 57 from Kigali city and another 68-year old man from Bugesera district.
Rwanda confirmed the first COVID-19 patient on 14th March 2020. Since then, 17 716 people have been tested positive out of 960001 sample tests of whom 15 918 have recovered, 1555 are active cases while 243 have succumbed to the virus.
The Ministry of Health has reported that 11 patients are critically ill.
Coronavirus symptoms include coughing, flu, and difficulty in breathing. The virus is said to be transmitted through the mucous membranes of the respiratory tract.
Rwandans are urged to adhere to COVID-19 health guidelines, washing hands frequently using soaps and safe water, wearing face masks and respecting social distancing.
The road will among other things, facilitate residents to reach Gatonde Hospital easily.
Movements along the road linking Gicuba and Janja would previously halt due to landslides that destroyed the road during rainy season in Gakenke district.
The 32,8 kilometer-roads will be expanded and compacted at a cost of Rwf 3.6 billion in the first phase.
The mayor of Gakenke district, Nzamwita Deogratias has said that the upgraded road will facilitate smooth transportation of agricultural produce to market and will patients will easily reach Gatonde Hospital.
Gakenke district is has been hit by disasters that would block movements and access to markets