About 309 million railway passenger trips were made between July 1 to August 11, with average daily trips reaching around 7.365 million, according to the China State Railway Group Co., Ltd. (China Railway).
Some 7.2 million railway passenger trips are expected to be made on Friday, China Railway added.
To meet growing travel demand, more trains have been put into services between tourist cities during the travel rush, while some new airline routes have also been added.
This year’s summer travel rush will last for 62 days from July 1 to August 31. The travel rush is usually a busy season for China’s railway system as college students return home and transport demand from family visits and travel soars.
The country’s auto firms exported about 290,000 units of cars last month, up 67 percent year on year and 16.5 percent over June, according to the China Association of Automobile Manufacturers.
July’s exports of new energy vehicles totaled 54,000 units, surging nearly 90 percent over June.
In the first seven months of 2022, automobile exports reached about 1.51 million units, with passenger vehicles taking the lion’s share.
The whole year’s car exports might top 2.4 million units, the association estimated.
DIGP Namuhoranye, while addressing Police officers attached to the Rubavu DPU, reminded them of their duty to ensure the security of people living in Rwanda, particularly those in Rubavu.
“Always be sensitive to ensure that security is reassured… for Rwanda to maintain its image. Rwandans must enjoy their security and it is our duty as the police to guarantee that,” DIGP Namuhoranye said.
He reiterated RNP’s stance on zero tolerance to corruption as well as other high-impact crimes like drug trafficking.
Rubavu is mapped as one of the major drug trafficking and smuggling routes due to its strategic location on the borderline with the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC).
The DIGP further reminded them to be defined by discipline, respect and teamwork spirit.
On Thursday 11th August 2022, President Paul Kagame received the United States (US) Secretary of State, Anthony Blinken. The US request to release Rusesabagina was among topics of discussions between the two leaders.
Paul Rusesabagina the former President of MRCD – FLN militia group was handed 25-year jail term last year over terrorism charges. The group is accused of having carried out attacks in the outskirts of Nyungwe National Park where it killed civilians, burnt houses and looted people’s valuables among others.
Speaking to the media, Minister Biruta has said that Rusesabagina was tried and convicted along with 20 other accomplices, under both Rwandan and international laws, for serious crimes against Rwandans.
He revealed that it is unusual for Rwanda to be influenced by pressure and insisted that the country’s stand on the case of Rusesabagina is clear.
“For us, the trial has definitively ended. He was convicted and sentenced like other criminals jailed for different cases handled before courts. This is where we stand,” he said.
On whether Rwanda won’t change its position on the issue and release Rusesabagina over pressure, Minister Biruta explained that the country will abide by laws and stick to the court’s decision where Rusesabagina has to serve his sentence.
Commenting on what can be done to maintain relations in case the request to release Rusesabagina is rejected, US State Secretary Blinken said: “As you know we established what we call the Khashogi Ban, to make clear that any country that engages in repressive actions against those criticizing it, if those persons are in the United States, they may face consequences of those actions. I shared all of these with President Kagame today.”
Khashoggi Ban is a sanction and visa restriction announced by the United States Department of State in memory of the Saudi journalist and political dissenter Jamal Khashoggi.
It “allows the United States Department of State to impose visa restrictions on individuals who, acting on behalf of a foreign government, are believed to have been directly engaged in serious extraterritorial counter-dissident activities.
[{{Related story: Victims of FLN attacks demand Anthony Blinken to consider their concerns}}
->https://en.igihe.com/news/article/victims-of-fln-attacks-demand-anthony-blinken-to-consider-their-concerns]
Topics of discussions held earlier on Thursday 11th August 2022 between the two leaders include the security issues in eastern part of the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC).
Blinken arrived in Rwanda from DRC where he met with President Félix Tshisekedi.
The country accused Rwanda of backing M23 rebel group in its fight with Congolese Army (FARDC).
The rebel group resumed fighting following DRC’s failure to implement signed peace accords.
Speaking at a joint press conference held today, Rwanda’s Minister of Foreign Affairs, Dr. Vincent Biruta said: “We have also discussed insecurity in eastern DRC, the very real consequences for Rwanda and reaffirmed our support to regional efforts including the Nairobi and Luanda initiatives towards peace and stability in our region.”
“We agreed on the need to eradicate all irregular armed groups operating in eastern DRC including the FDLR and its fractions. We noted the resurgence of hate speech, public incitement and the genocide ideology in DRC, and the need to address this issue. We also reaffirmed the importance of respect of territorial integrity by all the countries in the region,” he added.
Rwanda has repeatedly refuted DRC’s allegations that it supports M23 rebel group but accused the neighbouring country of working with the Democratic Forces for the Liberation of Rwanda (FDLR), a terrorist group comprised of remnant masterminds of the 1994 Genocide against the Tutsi.
Rwanda also accused DRC of violating territorial integrity based on rockets shelled on its territory in the recent months by FARDC.
Speaking to the media on topics of discussions with President Kagame, Blinken revealed that he expressed concerns of US over reports accusing Rwanda of supporting M23.
“I raised our concerns including credible reports indicating that Rwanda continues to support M23 rebel group and has its own forces inside the DRC. We recognize that Rwanda has security concerns including the cooperation between the Congolese Military and the Democratic Forces for the Liberation of Rwanda,” he said.
“My message to both President Tshisekedi and President Kagame this week has been the same. Any support or collaboration with armed groups in eastern DRC, endangers local communities and regional stability. Every country in the region must respect territorial integrity of the others. The United States has the same message for all neighbouring countries,” added Blinken.
The US State Secretary revealed that he urged both President Kagame and Tshisekedi to continue the process of dialogues launched by regional countries and the African Union.
Blinken also stated that US supports the Nairobi process requiring DRC to engage in dialogue with armed groups.
“Both presidents agreed to engage directly with each other, they are both ready to resume the talks in context of the Nairobi process with armed groups and both welcomed the continued US engagement in support of African led mediation efforts,” he noted.
Blinken also reminisced on the issue of propagated hate speeches against Rwandophones in DRC whose rights are abused.
He reaffirmed his countries commitment to condemn such acts and revealed that he urged President Tshisekedi to do the same.
Antony Blinken reassured his country’s continued support to Rwanda and commended Rwanda’s progress for the past 25 years.
“The journey that Rwanda has taken over the past two decades is remarkable. You have risen from genocide to global destination for innovation, investment and tourism,” he said.
Rwanda, US diplomatic relations date back in 1962.
In 2021, US provided US$147 million funding to Rwanda to promote democracy, governance, health, education, economy and conservation efforts.
For the past three years, US provided US$116 million to support Rwanda’s health sector on annual basis. It also provided US$23 million for Rwanda to mitigate effects of COVID-19.
From 2021, the country has through COVAX donated 5,500,030 vaccine doses to Rwanda.
In 2021, US imports from Rwanda were estimated at US$31 million while Rwanda’s imports from US amounted to US$49.9 million.
Paul Rusesabagina the former President of MRCD – FLN militia group was handed 25-year jail term last year over terrorism charges. In April 2022, the Court of Appeal retained the sentence handed to Rusesabagina by the High Court.
The court also ordered compensation to victims of MRCD-FLN attacks.
Ahead of his visit to Kigali, Anthony Blinken confirmed that the release of Paul Rusesabagina would be among issues of discussions with President Paul Kagame.
He stressed that such negotiations are needed in countries where US citizens are detained illegally.
Similar message demanding the release of Rusesabagina was echoed at different times by US politicians and human rights organizations.
Meanwhile, Rusesabagina was convicted based on evidences provided by relevant authorities in Belgium and US among others, particularly regarding his funding to FLN.
Ahead of the visit of Blinken to Rwanda, victims of MRCD-FLN attacks penned a letter with an attachment of their names and signatures.
The attacks were carried out by the terrorist group between 2018 and 2019 led by Rusesabagina.
The letter shows that discussions about the issue have been pushing for the release of Rusesabagina and disregarded affected victims.
“Our suffering at the hands of Paul Rusesabagina’s MRCD-FLN continues to be dismissed or outright ignored by the very entities that purport to champion the human rights of the vulnerable,” reads part of the letter.
“As victims of the MRCD-FLN attacks, we have endeavored to come together to amplify our voices and raise awareness to the actions of Paul Rusesabagina and his co-perpetrators,” adds the letter.
The victims revealed that highlighting the devastating impact these attacks have had and continue to have on their families, will underline the importance of their demand for justice, dignity and compensation.
According to the letter, the governance of MRCD-FLN operated on a rotational basis among the various leaders of affiliated political parties. Paul Rusesabagina assumed its presidency from July 2017 to June 2019 when the violent attacks were carried out to affected families in the outskirts of Nyungwe National Park.
In these attacks, reads the letter, the MRCD-FLN combatants carefully avoided any interaction with the police or the army and only attacked places where they knew people were unarmed and defenseless.
It is said that the attackers went into shops looting and would also break into the homes of people, assaulting them and robbing them of food, money and clothes.
In the letter, the victims also claimed that assailants indiscriminately shot passersby, threw grenades at cars where some people who could not escape the buses were burnt to death or succumbed to gunshot wounds.
On the other hand, the attackers are accused to have kidnapped people and made them carry looted goods into the forest.
“The MRCD-FLN murdered 11 people, including e children, the youngest being ten years old. Among those killed, were four parents who were the sole providers of their families,” adds the letter.
Among those killed is Anatole Maniraho who was ordered to lie down and shot dead instantly. The victims explained that Maniriho left a pregnant wife where his child, currently a toddler, will grow without father.
Others include Isaac Niwenshuti,17, who was on his way to visit his father but was killed and burnt beyond recognition in the bus attack. His family was only able to identify him through DNA testing.
“The current discourse from the international community and the calls for his immediate release are very distressing to our families and communities. Paul Rusesabagina is just as guilty as Sankara and co-perpetrators. He has expressed no remorse for his actions and the violence his terrorist organization inflicted on us during the trial, worse he simply decided not to participate in it,” reads the letter in part.
“As the victims of the crimes of Paul Rusesabagina and Sankara’s MRCD-FLN, we need justice to be served to its full extent. Through the court, we have received retributive justice, and we now seek restorative justice,” adds the letter.
The victims insisted that they want to see their suffering told and considered in all engagements related to Paul Rusesabagina and his terrorist organization.
“We are the ones living with the consequences of his actions and have yet to recover emotionally, physically and financially from the violence inflicted upon us by the MRCD-FLN,” reads an extract from the letter.
The victims also commended the support that the US Government continues to extend to victims of terror attacks both domestically in the US and globally and demanded that the efforts be extended to them.
“As such, as a gesture to recognize our rights as victims of terror attacks, we request to have those efforts extended to support our needs as well. The court-ordered compensation to the victims has yet to materialize, leaving some of us in dire financial situation.
We are aware that some of the perpetrators of terrorism in the communities have assets in the United States. In line with its stated commitment, we hope for US Government to support our quest for remedial justice. This, we believe, will send a strong message that the US supports victims of terrorism and is committed to holding perpetrators of terrorism fully accountable for their actions,” concludes the letter.
Blinken arrived in Rwanda on Wednesday 10th August 2022 expected to address members of the press on Thursday.
The fire was triggered by a lightning strike on a tank containing 26,000 cubic meters of Cuban oil on Aug. 5, and later consumed three nearby tanks, leaving one dead, 14 missing and 125 injured.
Several Cuban Army aircraft continued to pour water over the site, while a Mexican Navy helicopter made a reconnaissance flight Wednesday morning to determine the extent of the damage.
Meanwhile, two Mexican ships launched powerful jets of seawater from Matanzas Bay to extinguish some pockets of flames and cool the area, while a Venezuelan hydraulic pump supplied water with chemical foam for the same purpose.
Firefighters made progress controlling areas still burning and are protecting the four remaining fuel tanks located about 150 meters from the site, while the blaze remained confined to the initial area.
According to authorities who detailed the next step of operations, the flames will be attacked with five water pumps, incorporating the fire departments from other Cuban provinces, and Venezuelan and Mexican brigades.
The UN chief “notes the important work done by the Kenyan authorities and electoral management bodies, the active engagement of numerous national stakeholders and the unwavering commitment of the voters to duly exercise their constitutional right to vote,” said a statement issued by his spokesperson.
Guterres trusts that all political stakeholders and the Kenyan people will continue to demonstrate the same level of calm, patience and respect for the electoral process as they await the announcement of the results of the polls in accordance with the legal timeframe, it added.
“The secretary-general reiterates the availability of the United Nations to continue to support the efforts of the Kenyan authorities and people in the advancement of the democratic process in Kenya,” said the statement.
Kenyan citizens cast their ballots on Tuesday to elect their fifth president as well as members of the National Assembly, senators and county governors.
Head of Kenya’s Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission said Tuesday evening that voting in the country’s general elections had been concluded in all polling stations and counting had started.
RNP spokesperson, Commissioner of Police (CP) John Bosco Kabera has said that operations against this risky human behaviour started on July 28, and so far, a total of 486 cyclists have been intercepted and fined accordingly, across the country.
“This life-threatening practice by cyclists has been going on for a while where they hold on to trucks to pull them while cycling uphill, and in some circumstances some of them lose lives,” CP Kabera said.
In these operations, the majority (125) were intercepted in the Southern Province, 117 in the Northern Province, 109 in the Eastern Province, 74 in the Western while 61 were intercepted on roads in the City of Kigali.
CP Kabera said: “On many occasions, Police have engaged cyclists in different parts of the country to educate them on safer road usage, including desisting from such life-threatening practice of holding onto trucks.
This inappropriate behaviour that put lives at high risk will not be tolerated, and operations will continue to ensure compliance and to save lives.”
In Kigali, this practice is common along Nyabugogo-Giti K’inyoni-Shyorongi or Ruliba, Nyabugogo-Kimisagara; Nyabugogo-Karuruma-Nyacyonga; Kabuga, Jali, and along Kicukiro-Bugesera road.
Any cyclists intercepted in these operations is handed administrative penalties amounting to Rwf10,000.
The latest awareness campaign was extended to 153 traders from Nyagatare and Gatsibo districts on Tuesday, August 9, following similar outreach in Ngoma, Kirehe, Kayonza and Rwamagana where other 178 dealers in used electrical and electronic equipment were introduced and enlightened on the regulations.
Assistant Commissioner of Police (ACP) Innocent Kanyamihigo, the Eastern region Police Commander (RPC), while speaking to traders from Nyagatare and Gatsibo on Tuesday, August 9, urged them to value their businesses and comply with the laws and regulations.
“Be vigilant and verify before buying the second-hand equipment to make sure the seller is the rightful owner, and record all their particulars well,” said ACP Kanyamihigo.
He further appealed to the traders to work together and join efforts with the police to fight common crimes such as theft, drugs trafficking, Gender Based Violence, and child abuse, among others.
The Vice Mayor of Nyagatare District in-charge of Economic Development, Gonzague Matsiko reminded the traders to operate their business in line with the regulations and avoid any irregularities that were defining some of them.
“To operate your businesses safely, understand and comply with regulations governing trade of used electrical and electronics, and strengthen cooperation with law enforcement organs through sharing necessary information with them on those who deal in stolen items or work with thieves ,” Matsiko said.
The same awareness is expected to be extended to traders in Bugesera District on August 11, before it continues to traders in other provinces.