Rwanda’s Presidency has revealed that Amb. Nibigira and his delegation were received by President Kagame on Sunday 5th March 2023 where the special envoy relayed the message from Burundian President Evariste Ndayishimiye to his counterpart of Rwanda.
Also present at the event were Rwanda’s Minister of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation, Dr. Vincent Biruta and the Head of Defence Intelligence in Rwanda Defence Force (RDF), RDF, Maj Gen Vincent Nyakarundi.
Ndayishimiye is the current Chairperson of the East African Community (EAC).
He sends the envoy at the time when security continues to worsen in eastern part of the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC).
Meanwhile, Kagame went to Burundi last month to attend EAC Heads of State Summit on security situation in eastern DRC.
On the sidelines of the meeting, Kagame also held bilateral talks with his counterpart of Burundi, Ndayishimiye.
It was considered a great milestone towards normalization of ties between the two neighbouring countries which experienced strained relations at the regime of former Burundian President Pierre Nkurunziza.
Burundi accused Rwanda of backing the country’s dissidents while Rwanda accused the neighbouring country of working with the Democratic Forces for the Liberation of Rwanda (FDLR), a terrorist group formed by individuals responsible for the 1994 Genocide against the Tutsi.
Ndayishimiye has shown willingness to mend ties with Rwanda while the heads of state have been exchanged messages at different times.
At the time, the Deputy Spokesperson of the Government of Rwanda, Alain Mukuralinda told IGIHE that Kagame would not have gone to the country had relations been in a bad state.
He explained that bilateral relations are returning to normal where pending issues that might arise can be addressed.
On another note, Manasseh Nshuti, Rwanda’s State Minister for EAC said that the exchange of visits between provincial official between both countries has been a symbol of vibrant relations.
Dr. Segun Ogunsanya, CEO of Airtel Africa plc, made this commitment at the opening of a two-day conference in Nairobi, Kenya, last week where executives of Airtel Africa and the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) convened to discuss implementation of the landmark partnership across 13 out of Airtel’s 14 markets. Airtel Africa committed to invest $57m into educational programmes during the five-year partnership with UNICEF.
Ogunsanya reflected on the effects of Covid-19 pandemic on education in Africa leading to school closures, and charged the participants to continue to work closely with stakeholders, especially the governments and educational authorities, to ensure that children, especially vulnerable children in remote communities, are given the opportunity to learn.
He acknowledged the challenges faced in the implementation of the partnership in some of the 13 African countries, and urged the governments of the affected countries to support this important initiative. As a leading telecommunications company in the region, Airtel Africa is using its unique insights to stand up for the children of Africa’s right to education and equality of opportunity. Ogunsanya reiterated Airtel Africa’s corporate purpose of transforming lives and pledged that the organisation will continue to champion the quest for bridging the digital divide and promoting financial inclusion.
Also welcoming the participants, the deputy regional director of UNICEF, Lieke van de Wiel, described the Airtel Africa/UNICEF partnership as an important collaboration of private and public sectors, aimed at putting children at the heart of their learning, and changing the narrative in education after years of loss during the Covid-19 pandemic. She commended Airtel Africa for coming on board and encouraged the participants to seize the moment by sharing experiences and exchanging ideas and learnings on how best to implement the initiative.
In 2021, Airtel Africa and UNICEF signed a landmark partnership committing to provide access to quality education for more that one million children by connecting schools to the internet and providing access to zero-rated educational platforms in 13 African countries. Airtel Africa is the first private sector company on the continent to partner with UNICEF to support programmes focused on accelerating digital learning, with access to education as one of the key goals of Airtel Africa’s sustainability strategy.
{{About Airtel Africa}}
Airtel Africa is a leading provider of telecommunications and mobile money services, with a presence in 14 countries in Africa, primarily in East Africa and Central and West Africa.
Airtel Africa offers an integrated suite of telecommunications solutions to its subscribers, including mobile voice and data services as well as mobile money services both nationally and internationally.
The Group aims to continue providing a simple and intuitive customer experience through streamlined customer journeys.
The suspect, who was handed over to RIB at Ruharambuga station, had concealed the pellets in a sack of rice in an attempt to beat security, Chief Inspector of Police (CIP) Mucyo Rukundo, the Western Region Political and Civic Education Officer (RPCEO), said.
The 46-year old suspect had sneaked the narcotics into Rwanda from the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), he added.
“Security personnel, who were on their routine duties, stopped the suspect at about 2p.m on Saturday, in Taba village, Muyange cell in Nyabitekeri Sector, searched the sack he carried and found 500 big rolls of cannabis stashed in the rice, leading to his immediate arrest,” CIP Rukundo said.
The suspect had just crossed into Rwanda from DRC, he added.
Stashing narcotics in sacks of rice is one of the many unearthed tricks used by drug dealers to traffic the very severe drugs from one point to another.
Other unearthed tricks include concealing them in vehicles transporting foodstuffs and other goods, using milk packages, trafficking them in veils or under clothes.
Others have faked pregnancy or carrying a baby to beat security while others have been intercepted trafficking narcotics in gas cylinders.
Cannabis is listed among very severe narcotic drugs in Rwanda.
Article 263 of law No. 68/2018 of 30/08/2018 determining offenses and penalties in general states that any person, who unlawfully produces, transforms, transports, stores, gives to another or who sells narcotic drugs and psychotropic substances, commits an offence.
Upon conviction for very severe narcotics, the offender faces between 20 years and life imprisonment, and a fine of between Frw20 million and Frw30 million.
These children received the award during a ceremony held on 4th March 2023.
First Lego League Challenge is an international robotics competition for students aged 9-16 that aims to inspire young people to pursue science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) careers. The competition challenges teams to design, build, and program autonomous robots using LEGO kits to complete a set of missions on a themed playing field.
New Generation Academy participated with children aged between 9 and 11 leveraging their prowess acquired from the school which runs a three-year ‘Coding and Robotics’ Programme.
It was the only primary school that participated in the competition that attracted 35 schools including Saint André, Fawe Girls Schools, Gashora Girls School, Maranyundo Girls School, Green Hills Academy, Petit Seminaire, Lycée de Kigali and College Christ Roi de Nyanza among others.
According to the Managing Director of New Generation Academy, Jean Claude Tuyisenge, the winning project was an energy-saving system that uses artificial intelligence to detect and switch off lights in unoccupied rooms.
The system addresses a common problem where people often forget to switch off lights as they leave home, similar to leaving a water tap running. The students’ project won in the category of “The Most Innovative School.”
These children topped other contestants in the category of ‘The Most Innovative School’.
Tuyisenge has explained that it will build children’s confidence and inspire them to further develop their skills for their skills and passion for robotics and coding.
“Children have learnt that their creativity is much needed. Usually, learners from primary school believe that the reward of their performances is limited to teachers’ grades and appreciation of parents. At this stage, they do not fully understand that their works can impact the society,” he noted.
“The contest provided a platform to learn that their innovations can change the society. When they make a toy, or robot that is appreciated by the country and earns them an award; it cements their confidence, encourages them to work hard and do more,” added Tuyisenge.
He disclosed that the school plans to introduce a new project dubbed “Code and Solve” aimed at teaching learners to solve problems affecting the society including epidemics and disasters among others.
“Every learner should strive to find solutions to real-world problems early. It does not start during adulthood. Bringing those problems to the attention of children, helps them to grow with zeal to find solutions for the country, Africa and the world,” underscored Tuyisenge.
New Generation Academy has committed to make robots mainly using equipment sourced locally.
Sources indicate that the school has already entered a deal with Rwanda Basic Education Board (REB) of harmonizing Coding and Robotics program with Competence Based Curriculum (CBC).
Today, five schools where the program will be piloted have been selected.
New Generation Academy will train teachers to make robots among others.
Chief Inspector of Police (CIP) Sylvestre Twajamahoro, the Police spokesperson for the City of Kigali, said that the group had already slaughtered 20 pigs, when the Police responded to a call on the illegal act, at about 05a.m.
“They had turned the piggery into a slaughterhouse, which is illegal, contravening the public health and standard regulations. They were operating in unhygienic place,” CIP Twajamahoro said.
The suspects, he said, include a guard and three employees at the pig farm. The search for the owner of the piggery, who allegedly told them to slaughter the pigs, is still underway.
Under article 39 of regulation number DGO/REG/003 of 25/04/2022 governing meat businesses, a legal on-farm slaughterhouse for poultry, rabbit and Guinea pigs shall comply with the provisions of the general requirements.
It shall be physically separated from the farming premises and shall provide onsite chilling facilities.
CIP Twajamahoro warned livestock farmers against turning their farms into slaughterhouses and urged meat dealers to comply with related businesses standards that respects and protections consumer health.
Last month, Police in Kigali also impounded an unlicensed vehicle, which was transporting at least 800kgs of uninspected meat.
The Ministerial Order n°013/11.30 of 18/11/2010 on transport and trade of meat, particularly article 2, stipulates that “…the transport of fresh chilled or frozen meat for food purpose shall be carried in such a manner to not be seen from outside. The meat shall be properly covered and protected against the sun, rain mud, dust, and flies.”
Article 3 of the same order states that the motor-vehicle transportation of fresh, chilled or frozen, non-packed meat shall use closed vans, separate from the driver, internally covered with galvanized brass or any other stainless material.
The van must be inspected first and licensed to transport meat.
She made the donation during her visit to the hospital on Friday 3rd March 2023 to witness how her previous funding is saving lives of prematurely born-babies.
Rolland founded Maisha Africa after visiting Rwanda in 2000 which has been raising funds for various activities aimed at helping children in Rwanda, especially survivors of the 1994 Genocide against the Tutsi.
In 2020, Rolland had donated medical equipment worth Rfw69 million meant to save lives of premature babies at the health facility.
Speaking to IGIHE after the visit; Dr. Philbert Muhire, the Director General of Ruhengeri Referral Hospital said that Rolland has had a great attachment to the health facility for long.
“She has been giving us equipment to improve neonatology services, save lives of premature babies or others born with complications. Today, Rolland was taken on a tour at the neonatology section to witness the impact of her donation and extend the support. She has pledged around 30,000 Euros for the hospital to buy more equipment and improve neonatology services,” he said.
Dr. Muhire also extolled Rolland for her continued support through Maisha Africa.
“We are particularly very grateful for her support. Even though Rolland lives in France, she has roots in Rwanda and attaches great relevance to her bonds with Rwanda as well as our hospital. We thank her for the generosity and willingness to take care of patients,” he noted.
Three years ago, Rolland donated Rwf69 million to Ruhengeri Hospital to buy medical equipment. They included radiant warmers, emergency trolley, monitoring machines, resuscitation kits, ultrasound machine, phototherapy machine and blood gases analysis machine among other equipment for neonatal intensive care unit.
During an exclusive interview with IGIHE, Rolland expressed satisfaction with what she has so far achieved through Maisha Africa and talked about her attachment to Northern Province.
“I have a strong attachment to this region. My mother was from Ruhengeri, my aunt Charlotte worked at this hospital and my grandfather was at this hospital before fleeing during the 1994 Genocide against the Tutsi,” she said.
“They rescued him because they brought him in a camp. I have a strong bond with this town because it is my mother’s home,” added Rolland.
She explained that provided equipment have helped the hospital a great deal as the support ‘reduced almost a half the deaths of babies’.
“I learnt about it last year. I was very excited because I always want to do more. Besides, there are women who return to thank Maisha Africa because of that. It was a great achievement,” noted Rolland.
Rolland created Maisha Africa in 2001 after visiting Rwanda in 2000 along with her family following her selection as Miss France.
She had left the country in Rwanda in 1990.
“At the time, I met with different non-governmental organizations. I was very touched by orphans of the 1994 Genocide against the Tutsi heading families when I came to Rwanda,” recounted Rolland.
As she said, the orphans included children of her age. Rolland was 19 years old when she created Maisha Africa Association.
The orphans’ ordeal inspired her to create Maisha Africa to raise funding to improve their wellbeing.
“These orphans had painful stories. I initially created the project to help orphans. The initial project was later expanded to support vulnerable children in general. The project started renovating houses of Genocide orphans in Kimironko and other places. We are glad that these children have become adults today,” said Rolland.
Among others, the charity foundation also rehabilitated the former Gisimba orphanage whose name was changed to Gisimba Memorial Centre and built a nursery school in Ntarama of Bugesera District among others.
“It induces great pride because my association has impacted children in different aspects and contributed to national development and emotional stability of many kids,” observed Rolland.
Currently, Rolland has drawn attention to another project to foster women’s development in Rwanda through beekeeping. It is being implemented through an organization dubbed ‘L’Observatoir Français d’Apidologie (OFA).
The incident occurred in the evening of Friday 3rd March 2023.
According to a statement released by Rwanda Defence Force (RDF), the a soldier of the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) crossed over from his country at around 17h35 on Friday and shot at RDF soldiers manning the common border between Grande Barrière and Petite Barrière in Rubavu District, in Rwanda’s Western Province.
The statement further reads that ‘RDF soldiers returned fire, killing the FARDC soldier on the Rwandan side of the border’.
“Several other FARDC soldiers fired at the RDF position resulting in a brief exchange of fire. The situation is now calm,” adds the statement.
RDF has revealed that it formally communicated the incident to the Extended Joint Verification Mechanism (EJVM).
The latter is among many similar incidents where DR Congo soldiers have been reported to have violated Rwandan territory.
The reason for storming Rwandan territory remains unknown but the incident happens amidst ongoing tensions between Rwanda and DRC which accused the neighbouring country of supporting M23 rebel group in a fighting with FARDC.
Rwanda has repeatedly denied the allegations and advised DRC to solve internal problems appropriately instead of leaning on blame games.
In November last year, another Congolese soldier was shot dead in Rubavu District as he opened fire on Rwandan soldiers while on patrol.
Sayinzoga made the revelation on Wednesday 1st March 2023 at the Paris International Agricultural Trade Show 2023 attended by different Rwandan companies.
Rwanda is participating in the trade show for the second time. Local products being showcased at the exhibition held in France between 25th February and 5th March 2023 include French beans, chili, vegetables, honey and coffee among others.
Sayinzoga has said that the trade fair is of great significance as it helps Rwandans to showcase their products to diverse clients and learn from bets practices in terms of value addition.
“This is an opportunity for our exporters to meet different clients as well as distributors. As of now, some of them are already negotiating long term contracts with distributors based here in Paris. On top of that, this is an opportunity to learn because Rwandan exhibitors have been interacting with others from different countries,” she said.
“They were learning a lot in terms of technology being used in agriculture and we believe that it is going to add value to what they are doing. We hope that when we will be attending this exhibition in the coming years, they will have made further improvements,” added Sayinzoga.
Maggie Kagimbanyi Uwimbabazi representing Coopac Ltd from Rwanda and Virunga Coffee from Belgium, is among exhibitors and was recognized twice.
She commended RDB, National Agricultural Export Development Board (NAEB), Rwanda’s embassy in France and other partners for having facilitated them to participate.
“I am glad that our country’s flag flew high during this exhibition. Rwandans living here were delighted for received awards in recognition for our coffee,” noted Uwimbabazi.
Zurekha Gatera is another Rwandan attending the exhibition. He is representing Zatoms Avocado Oil, a company which produces cooking oil and body lotion from avocadoes.
Despite the company’s participation for the first time, Zurekha Gatera said that they were recognized for high quality products.
“I thank RDB and Rwanda’s embassy in France for smooth coordination that saw our country earning pride at this exhibition,” he revealed.
The Paris International Agricultural Trade Show started in 1870. It is organized by National Centre for Agricultural Shows and Trade Fairs (CENECA), in partnership with the French Ministry of Agriculture, Agrifood, and Forestry in France.