Rwanda performs first epilepsy surgery at CHUK

The week-long surgical program began on Monday, February 9, 2026, with the successful operation of a 39-year-old woman who had lived with epilepsy for 15 years despite ongoing medication.

The procedure was conducted by a team of CHUK specialists working alongside visiting international experts who are supporting the introduction of epilepsy surgery services in Rwanda.

Until now, epilepsy in Rwanda has been treated primarily with medication, as surgical capacity was not available. However, some patients do not respond to drug therapy and previously had to seek treatment abroad, often in India.

Epilepsy occurs when brain signals become excessive or disorganized, triggering physical and behavioral symptoms.

These may include loss of consciousness, repeated falls, tongue biting, muscle stiffness, and involuntary urination or defecation, depending on the part of the brain affected.

During the procedure, surgeons accessed the brain by temporarily removing a section of skull bone before treating the affected area.

Other surgical techniques for epilepsy may also be used depending on the patient’s condition.

Dr. Inyange Musoni Sylvie, a Rwandan neurosurgeon involved in the operation, said the patient’s seizures originated from the left side of the brain.

“The treatment involved removing a small portion of brain tissue identified by MRI scans as the source of the seizures,” she explained.

Despite long-term treatment, the patient had continued to experience seizures about twice a week, significantly affecting her quality of life and overall health.

According to Dr. Inyange, the procedure offers an estimated 85 percent chance of recovery, with the possibility that medication can be gradually reduced or discontinued entirely.

She described the development as a major milestone for epilepsy care in Rwanda, noting that patients who did not respond to medication previously had limited options, while seeking treatment abroad was often difficult and costly.

“This is an important breakthrough because many Rwandans living with epilepsy could not access this treatment. When patients came to us, our only option was to adjust medication. It placed a heavy burden on families, the health system, and the country as a whole,” she said.

Alivera Mukarugwiza, a caretaker, said her daughter first developed epilepsy while in primary school. For years, the family pursued different treatments without success. Medication later reduced the frequency of seizures, but recovery remained incomplete, and traveling regularly from Rwamagana to Kigali for care was challenging.

She expressed gratitude for the treatment her daughter received, thanking both God and the country for making the surgery possible.

Rwanda has carried out its first surgical treatment for epilepsy at Kigali University Teaching Hospital (CHUK), marking a major step in expanding specialized neurological care within the country.

Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *